Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Social War Room Awards Thread 2021: Locking It Back Down. (The Results Are In.)

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by LMP, Nov 26, 2021.

1. Bourbaki Blue Belt

And of course, some of this already is mitigated by ensuring that EU member states aren't so 'vastly different' in the relevant sense: There are conditions for membership, and those are clearly not irrelevant to the concern of sharing open borders.

Jackie Blue and Rebelfett like this.
  2. Sara Enigma Zone Pink

one of my friends (or I guess acquaintances) become a like spa person (does massage, nails, waxing, etc) everyone would be like oh you can come to house and do it for free ! She finally had to say look I went to school and paid for courses for this career, I don’t ask you to come to my house and do whatever the hell your paid to do for free.

I imagine it’s like if you have a dr or nurse for a friend and your constantly asking them medical advice or to look at this!

Rebelfett likes this.
  3. Rebelfett P4P Worst Mod on Sherdog Staff Member Senior Moderator

Tbf, your grace. I didn't ask he was offered up

4. Sara Enigma Zone Pink

No no I know, but like I can see for example someone’s parents or spouse freely offering up services to be nice , oh you need a haircut? Kayley can cut your hair since youre coming to the BBQ! Etc.

Rebelfett likes this.
  5. Jackie Blue Gold Belt

Just to be clear, I didn't mean you were a centrist in the sense of someone who vacillates between Democrats and Republicans and being aligned with either the left or right or neither at any given time. I meant more someone who's more in the center ideologically or is more of a centrist Democrat while remaining aligned with Democrats and the left. I'm basing it off of posts I've seen from you, although they can be hard to find. But posts along these lines:
    I remember a post where you said something along the lines of taking a political compass and being right in the middle. Unfortunately, I'm probably never going to find that post again. I'm sure I didn't describe this perfectly and my intent wasn't to take you out of context or anything like that. It's a descriptor rather than a putdown.

Also, I realize how subjective the term "centrist" can be. There are leftists like Kyle Kulinski who see themselves as "international centrists" because social democracy is considered to be pretty "center" in Scandinavia and Western Europe. In a sense, I can see myself as being "center" when the Overton window is aligned in such a way. But within US politics, I'm decidedly left-of-center.

Rebelfett likes this.
  6. Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

I'd say that centrist Democrats are like Manchin and Sinema. Can't stand them. Like I said, I'm not in the center ideologically. I'm on the left. I support stuff like a SWF, SS for kids, and a land-value tax replacing income and corporate taxes, among other things. Stuff that wouldn't pass today. Also a big increase in (legal and regulated) immigration.

No, definitely never came up right in the middle of a political compass test, and I generally dislike those because it uses "left" and "right" but in ways that differ from the normal usages of those terms (generally refers to one's position on equality vs. hierarchy).

That goes back to the thinking in the old post you cited. The term is pretty unclear, and we should specify. As I said in this thread, I'm a conservative on the conservative/radical axis, but decidedly left on the left/right axis, and more than anything a liberal.

I think the "centrist" label comes up because I have contempt for the populist left, which I regard as just being dumb rather than "too far left" or something. Populist leftists often try to tar their opponents on the left with the "partisan" label, but it's not an accurate representation of reality. There's this game they play: "I'm on the left, and I criticize other leftists so I'm super independent and cool, but if they criticize me back, they're not criticizing their own side; they're just hacks."

Khabib Khanate likes this.
  7. Khabib Khanate Hashashiyan Staff Member Senior Moderator

True but I genuinely dislike that mentality, that offering tepid centrist takes and resisting political labels somehow makes one an independent thinker. I get it if you're a teenager but you should grow out of that mentality eventually.

8. Sara Enigma Zone Pink

Sounds kinda like you need to grow up too

Confucamus and Rebelfett like this.
  9. Yehudim Black Belt

Is there documented proof that moderators and administrators of internet forums have had sex in their lives?

This is a serious question

Rebelfett and Khabib Khanate like this.
  10. bobgeese Steel Belt

<YeahOKJen>

Rebelfett likes this.
  11. Sara Enigma Zone Pink

I know like 2 have for sure.

Rebelfett likes this.
  12. Khabib Khanate Hashashiyan Staff Member Senior Moderator

That's rich coming from you of all people.
    The evidence is inconclusive at best.

Rebelfett and Yehudim like this.
  13. Yehudim Black Belt

My only problem is that it doesn't really exist, you're center-right or center-left. A guy like Bald1 certainly leans to the right in his worldview, even if he is close to the center. It's plain to see. I also dislike labels but if the shoe fits...

Khabib Khanate likes this.
  14. Yehudim Black Belt

According to anonymous sources?

Rebelfett likes this.
  15. Sara Enigma Zone Pink

Yeah I’m not in a visible position of authority, like it or not you have to be held in a higher regard.

Rebelfett likes this.
  16. Sara Enigma Zone Pink

I mean not so anonymous

Jackie Blue and Rebelfett like this.
  17. Yehudim Black Belt

Unless you show me a signed statement along with video of a woman admitting to sex with a mod or admin, verified by at least 3 independent sources, and legally notarized, I'm not buying it.

Rebelfett and Khabib Khanate like this.
  18. Sara Enigma Zone Pink

Well that seems excessive.

Rebelfett likes this.
  19. Yehudim Black Belt

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Rebelfett likes this.
  20. Khabib Khanate Hashashiyan Staff Member Senior Moderator

The thing is people like that feel that admitting that you lean one way or the other means you are admitting to "bias" or that it makes you a "partisan"

But that's not really true. A sober minded, well informed person is generally going to have some set of values and policy preferences that generally has them leaning one way or the other. You can do that without necessarily being partisan or biased.

As for labels, they have their limitations but they can be a useful shorthand to communicate one's general values. Some people believe that they appear more credible by resisting such labels but I don't really see it that way.
    Uh, what does that have to do with this conversation? I can't call out other posters for silly ideas because I'm in "a visible position of authority"? Also lmao at describing a mod of a dying karate forum in such terms.