Want to know what grinds my gears?

I'm going to disagree with you.

Let me put it this way:

Sherdog is pretty much the largest mma forum out there, agreed? Sherdog forums currently has 142,649 members. Even if every one of us stopped buying ppv(and we know nowhere near all of us even buy ppv's to begin with) it wouldn't amount to much of a loss.

I get what your saying, but they know they have an out because of the short notice and they can go in with nothing to lose, the pressure is off them:

That kind of mentality doesn't really work, though. Nobody has ever taken a short notice fight, lost, and still been no worse for wear in title contention. What happens if Werdum gets a shot at the belt in the near future and wins? If he beat someone at 202, you can bet they won't be within the first 3 spots in line.

Let me put it this way:

Sherdog is pretty much the largest mma forum out there, agreed? Sherdog forums currently has 142,649 members. Even if every one of us stopped buying ppv(and we know nowhere near all of us even buy ppv's to begin with) it wouldn't amount to much of a loss.

You're basing your argument on just Sherdog members, there are plenty of members on the UG and the now defunct Cage Potato, plus fans who don't go on Internet forums.

Most of my friends who are hardcore fans, don't post on any mma forum. Yet they know what's going on in current mma news.

You're basing your argument on just Sherdog members, there are plenty of members on the UG and the now defunct Cage Potato, plus fans who don't go on Internet forums.

Most of my friends who are hardcore fans, don't post on any mma forum. Yet they know what's going on in current mma news.

I would be hard pressed to classify someone who wasn't at least on a forum a hardcore fan of the sport. I realize Sherdog isn't the only forum out there for mma, but I was making a point that hardcores don't make up even close to 25% of the ppv buying populace. Tapout wearing(used to be, now it's fight kit wearing), UFC hype regurgitating, loud, fickle, males aged 18-40 who are more likely to host a house party to watch that irish guy who's really good, than they are to tell you who Fedor Emelienenko is, are who make up the vast bulk of purchasing numbers.

Larkin has every right to be pissed about being on the Fight Pass portion of 202. 2 guys who are debuting got on the main card. Fucking disgraceful.

I would be hard pressed to classify someone who wasn't at least on a forum a hardcore fan of the sport. I realize Sherdog isn't the only forum out there for mma, but I was making a point that hardcores don't make up even close to 25% of the ppv buying populace. Tapout wearing(used to be, now it's fight kit wearing), UFC hype regurgitating, loud, fickle, males aged 18-40 who are more likely to host a house party to watch that irish guy who's really good, than they are to tell you who Fedor Emelienenko is, are who make up the vast bulk of purchasing numbers.

I can't say about anyone else, but my circle of friends I'm the only one who posts on a mma forum. And I consider them hardcore fans, as they train either BJJ, muy Thai, boxing, mma and they pretty much all the cards or at the very least all the major ones, they only miss watching on account of work or family.

I just thought of something kinda out there, but who would be on board with Ngannou vs. Werdum? I'd be interested as hell as long as Werdum didn't go human backpack on him.

Larkin has every right to be pissed about being on the Fight Pass portion of 202. 2 guys who are debuting got on the main card. Fucking disgraceful.

Fight Pass is bunk, even being the main event on the Pre lims is pretty good. Faber said he liked being on the main event on the pre lim before a ppv, he said he got way more exposure to him and his brand.

I just thought of something kinda out there, but who would be on board with Ngannou vs. Werdum? I'd be interested as hell as long as Werdum didn't go human backpack on him.
Me and a couple of others discussed it in other threads. I like it much more than this rematch, but not sure it's a fight Werdum would take. I will admit as a giant fan of Francis I'm curious about it. Would be a great test win or lose.

Me and a couple of others discussed it in other threads. I like it much more than this rematch, but not sure it's a fight Werdum would take. I will admit as a giant fan of Francis I'm curious about it. Would be a great test win or lose.

If I'm Werdum I'd take Lewis before Ngannou.

I'd like to see him against someone a little lower in the rankings, personally but if the timing is right and they both wated it I'd be all in. Ngannou and DHC are 2 fighters that I'm watching very closely and hope they don't over do it too soon with them... But Werdum really matches up well with Ngannou so it wouldn't be such a giant step up, as opposed to a JDS or Overeem

The UFC isn't even trying with these late replacement fights anymore. We just found out Travis Browne will be replacing Rothwell to fight Werdum at 203. Werdum absolutely annihilated Browne already and Browne just got rekt at 200 by Cain. Even Lewis makes more sense at this point. Nobody wants this rematch.

Really UFC? You couldn't find any other HW to take this fight? I don't believe you. Almost anybody would have been better. This is a joke.

Couple that with two newbs debuting in the UFC fighting at 202 on the fucking main card no less! One of the biggest shows of the year and trash like that on the main card. The guy fighting Means is 11-5, a TUF reject, and only 1-3 for Bellator and Strikeforce. That resume screams main card worthy.
<36>

They know casuals buying the card will be buying for Conor vs Nate and maybe Glover vs Rumble. So who gets pissed on? That's right. Us, the hardcore fans.

Card subject to change and all I get it, but they can make better fights than this. It's honestly embarrassing and very frustrating a fan. Who wouldn't be hesitant to buy tickets to an event now?

Also forget about firing Joe Silva. At this point the man should be publicly executed. Thanks for nothing UFC!

/rant
tumblr_n98bmjT9GM1tac06zo1_400.gif

I'd like to see him against someone a little lower in the rankings, personally but if the timing is right and they both wated it I'd be all in. Ngannou and DHC are 2 fighters that I'm watching very closely and hope they don't over do it too soon with them... But Werdum really matches up well with Ngannou so it wouldn't be such a giant step up, as opposed to a JDS or Overeem
Derrick Lewis wanted the fight against Werdum. He should have gotten it.

I feel the same. The Browne/Werdum rematch is strangely disappointing to me. I'm very appreciative of a top-10 replacement for a fight one month away, but Werdum/Browne 2....just doesn't do it for me. The fact that it's 3 rounds will actually make it much more interesting, though.

And Means/Lim didn't occur to me until you posted it before, Johny, but it's very disappointing that they're going to be fighting Barry Horowitz and The Brooklyn Brawler instead. Awful booking.

I wanted to see some Swanging and Banging ffs. Now we see Browne being embarrassed all over again. Lame.
That doesn't get old though. Agree that they should have unleashed the black beast.

In the UFC's defense of Browne/Werdum, there aren't many top ten HWs lying around with nothing to do, especially to face the number one ranked HW in the world. Who else is there? JDS and Cain, and Lewis is 10 now I think. Number 7 vs Number 10, that makes sense to me. Those numbers matter, and I guarantee more people are familiar with Browne than Derrick Lewis. Who knows what Cain and JDS are up to, but I'm sure they were offered the fight too. I have to imagine they were, at least.

And the replacements for the 202 card, they're not great, but aren't they on even shorter notice than one month? I thought Strickland just pulled out last week, and Aliev did too. That's only two + weeks notice, not as easy. Sad that there's a whole roster of WWs and they have to sign two new ones to take the fight, but that's just how it is I guess.
you make a very goo d argument i think a lot of people overlook the fact that both the fighters have to actually sign the contract who knows who was offered the fight we really only get to see who agrees to fight each other on short notice

Back