Want to get into grappling...

start collecting fight clips & instructional videos, you can download them for free.

fightseeker.com I think is a start, but you can also do yahoo video search.

I use to use Shareaza which is kinda like Napster to get a few fights.

Are there any instructionals that you guys would reccomend?

Pacmanandy said:
Are there any instructionals that you guys would reccomend?

What are you interested in training for? MMA, self-defence, competition? Do you have a particular discipline in mind that you're interested in?

For starters, you can't beat wrestling. It may not be as "complete" as judo or BJJ but you'll have way better takedowns and a significantly better takedown defense.

There's wrestling and judo nearly everywhere, from the inner cities to the countryside of Iowa.

As for distance... I traveled an hour there and back every day to train and it was definately worth it.

i got bas rutten extremme pancrase and have improved loads my striking games is way btter now and i no how to escape the armbar now my friend is a bjj fighter and he always beat me. now we always draw. so id recomend that but ive heard the gracie dvd set is gud.

Begets said:
What are you interested in training for? MMA, self-defence, competition? Do you have a particular discipline in mind that you're interested in?

Gi BJJ competition is what I'm interested in, MMA and self defense are always a bonus... Gi BJJ is fine for self defense in my mind anyway.

Pacmanandy said:
Gi BJJ competition is what I'm interested in, MMA and self defense are always a bonus... Gi BJJ is fine for self defense in my mind anyway.

For a BJJ primer, this is the best one that I know of. It's no substitute for training, of course, but it's a good way to get a quick overview of what the techniques are and a general idea of how to do them.

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu - Basics

BASICS, VOLUME 1:
HOW TO CLOSE THE DISTANCE / HOW TO ESCAPE FROM THE MOUNTED POSITION
Believe it or not, the safest way to control a bigger and stronger opponent, while standing, is to go into a clinch. Rorion and Royce share simple techniques for taking the fight to the ground and stabilizing the mounted position. Also, in a real fight, you are most vulnerable when you are on the ground and your opponent is on top of you. In this video you will learn easy, practical ways to get out of this most dangerous situation.

BASICS, VOLUME 2:
HOW TO PASS THE GUARD / HOW TO ESCAPE FROM HEADLOCKS
When your opponent is lying down with his legs around your waist, you are in his guard... and at his mercy if you cannot escape! Let Rorion and Royce show you how to effectively pass the guard and get the upper hand. In a real fight, one of the most common and painful holds is the headlock. In this tape, you will also learn many easy and clever ways to escape from these frightening holds.

BASICS, VOLUME 3:
FINISHING HOLDS: ARMLOCKS AND CHOKES
Discover how to obtain absolute control of the fight by disabling your opponent with these dynamic finishing holds. In this videotape, Rorion and Royce Gracie will amaze you with simple, effective armlocks and chokes.

BASICS, VOLUME 4:
HOW TO HANDLE STAND-UP AGGRESSION (Bonus Tape)
In this dynamic tape, Rorion and Royce will demonstrate how to defend against 25 of the most common forms of stand-up aggression. You will be entertained as the Gracie brothers reveal this other crucial area of their self-defense techniques.

Sweet.... THANK YOU. I'm looking for a supplement. It's hard to retain a lot of the information, I went to my first seminar and learned what to do in every possible situation in the half guard, but now I'm trying to recall it and can't. So I'm hoping if I find a tape or something with the same stuff I was drilling it might help me out.

I feel sorry for you man, I thought Kitchener-Waterloo was limited, but Tilbury, o man MMA has got to be scarce there.

Instructionals are good. But if you don't know anything, I'd almost say that you should try and get some competition footage first. Budovideos is one place (Sherdog.com, of course, is another) where you can get a lot of competition footage.

I recommend competition footage because it will give you a good feel for the flow of grappling (especially if you're interested in bjj specifically). I've got a few great instructionals (Cesar Gracie's series is pretty good, in my opinion). But a part of me still doesn't quite get the "flow" of jiu jitsu well enough to translate that into action on the mat. So I still end up "wrestling" more than anything else.

Most people who play soccer watched more soccer matches than they ever did soccer instructionals. I think there is something similar with bjj ...

Back