Want to get into grappling...

R

richieb19

Im very interested in grappling, and would love to attend classes but there are none around my location....does anyone know any good insturcional dvd's??? something to get me on the right track anyways?

no judo even?
You'll struggle to learn with a dvd if you can't practise on anyone. Can you get some friends together?
Better than nothing I guess

ClubberLange said:
no judo even?
You'll struggle to learn with a dvd if you can't practise on anyone. Can you get some friends together?
Better than nothing I guess
Ya i got a partner....Judo isnt that much ground game is it?

Start by getting some instructional videos. They are everywhere on the internet.

Start with clsoing the distance and Takedowns and Takedown defense.

Then get beginner level Gracie Jiu Jitsu

El Tiburon said:
Start by getting some instructional videos. They are everywhere on the internet.

Start with clsoing the distance and Takedowns and Takedown defense.

Then get beginner level Gracie Jiu Jitsu
thanks friend

You're better of taking a judo class then trying to learn BJJ through videos with a friend. Unless that friend's experienced.
Judo still has a ground game.
You can get instructionals, train with a friend AND go to the judo club.

ClubberLange said:
You're better of taking a judo class then trying to learn BJJ through videos with a friend. Unless that friend's experienced.
Judo still has a ground game.
You can get instructionals, train with a friend AND go to the judo club.
Dont get me wrong but doesnt judo have a limmited ground game? isnt it all rakedoewns and whatnot

richieb19 said:
Dont get me wrong but doesnt judo have a limmited ground game? isnt it all rakedoewns and whatnot

Depends. Traditional judo has a pretty good ground game, including all sorts of chokes and locks that it shares w/ bjj. However, some of the "sport" judo clubs do emphasise throws more heavily. Either way, "takedowns and such" are gonna be an important part of your grappling.

Judo has a good ground game, in fact it is all the same techniques as BJJ (except leg locks). BJJ just spends the majority of training time on the ground. Judo focuses on stand-up grappling aspects much more than BJJ, but spends about 50% on the ground typically.

If you think you can learn more from watching DVDs than attending judo classes, you are sadly mistaken.

I suggest taking judo & supplementing your training with BJJ instructionals with partner. That way, you'll get the basics from judo & be able to add to your arsenal as you pick up new stuff.

Judo will teach you guard passes, sweeps, half guard, guard, chokes, armbars, all kinds of great ground stuff. Judo will also give you badass takedowns. Look at Karo; he comes from a Judo background and is a badass WW.

Be honest though guys. In all likelihood, the Judo club he finds IS going to have limited ground work. Yes there are some clubs that practice it more then others, but if he is looking for ground fighting, then Judo is not going to suffice for him.

That said, if there are no Jiu Jitsu clubs around you, and you want to learn grappling, just learning off instructionals is not going to get the job done. You NEED to be in a class with some sort of grappling, and Judo is very good. You will have awesome throws, and will at least get to work on the ground a bit. You can buy Jiu Jitsu instructionals and try out moves in Judo class on the ground if you want.

Where are you located though? Usually guys on here know of places to train pretty much everywhere.

Ha im in the same boat as you buddy, ha. Well, if you wanna read something i would recommend Bjj Basics from Gene simco. IMO a very good book. A lot of basic stuff, its great. I got nothing like that where i live. So me and a couple of friends grapple every so often, thats as good as it gets around NW PA with no car to drive!

richieb19 said:
Judo might not be exactly what your looking for.. but if your serious about learning BJJ.. Judo is a great start. It will add to your base and feeling of ballance.. as well as build great take downs to help aid with bjjs weak point.

Judo is a very competitive sport, and will put you into great shape. It will also build your grip much stronger. YOu will learn some basic positions and some usefull things when you transition over to bjj.

Att he very least it is worth a try.. Go to a judo class and try it out for a week. If you dont like it.. What did you lose? Atleast you can say you tried it, and dont like it.

I train both judo & BJJ, primarily BJJ. Judo has great merits, but the most of judo guys I train with are nowhere near as good on the ground as BJJers with 1yr experience. I am able to use my BJJ skills in judo pretty easily.

In all honesty, I have been to over 100 judo classes & I've only seen a guard sweep taught once, a basic push sweep. Few of the people in the club would ever be able to pull off a sweep against a BJJer. I can't recall ever being swept there. I'm sure many judo clubs are different, but this is the truth about mine.

They teach basic guard passes, but most of the guys I train judo with suck at passing it because they don't practice it much. They can break your closed guard, but have difficulty getting around. When I have somebody in my guard (in judo class), it almost always goes like this: they either get swept/subbed by me quickly, or just stall/sit in my guard attempting useless collar chokes until we get stood up.

You will learn the ground basics & it's a great foundation, much better than self-teaching. At least try judo out. You will be able to progress quickly if you are learning additional ground techniques on your own.

BJJ is a continuation of Judo. I remember when I first wanted to take BJJ a couple years ago, I didn't know of any schools around me, but I saw an ad for a Judo place and figured maybe I could use the mats for learning BJJ with a partner. I was ignorant and really didn't know anything about Judo. Had I known it was the predecessor to BJJ, I would've signed up there.

Keep looking around, but if you find nothing else, Judo is still a great option.

You guys keep talking like he said there was a judo place right next door, but didn't want to go there because he was holding out for BJJ. His first statement was "Im very interested in grappling, and would love to attend classes but there are none around my location..." Maybe there aren't even any judo clubs around.

But, if there are, I'd check them out, too. I agree with that. There aren't any BJJ studios that close to me, so I started taking judo. Maybe once I start making more money and things aren't so tight I'll be able to afford the gas it'll take to drive to Syracuse.

Well, if you have NO grappling near you, be it Wrestling, Judo, or Jiu Jitsu, then you are going to have a VERY hard time learning off of instructionals. You may get a few moves down, but it just won't be enough. Even if you train with a partner. YOu may however be a little more knowledgeable then someone who does not train at all.

triso said:
Be honest though guys. In all likelihood, the Judo club he finds IS going to have limited ground work. Yes there are some clubs that practice it more then others, but if he is looking for ground fighting, then Judo is not going to suffice for him.

That said, if there are no Jiu Jitsu clubs around you, and you want to learn grappling, just learning off instructionals is not going to get the job done. You NEED to be in a class with some sort of grappling, and Judo is very good. You will have awesome throws, and will at least get to work on the ground a bit. You can buy Jiu Jitsu instructionals and try out moves in Judo class on the ground if you want.

Where are you located though? Usually guys on here know of places to train pretty much everywhere.
I go to school in Windsor Ontario Canada, but live in a small town 40 min away

I know there is a Judo club about 45 minutes away from windsor, meaning about an hour and 15 away from home

i wouldnt really recommend dvds until you have some experience because moves need to be learned correctly the first time. Because bjj should be reaction if someone does this you do this. Something you do without even thinking and if you have a habit of doing it wrong then its gonna be hard to change it.

richieb19 said:
Ya i got a partner....Judo isnt that much ground game is it?

Yes, for mma, it does. You will have to refine, just like wrestling-with the WHOLE sub game, and bjj-with the control game. If, of course, you are looking for an mma game.

Back