1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Wanderlei Silva advise Paulo Costa to Switch Camps, Borrachinha Responds

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Sada555, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Sada555 Yellow Card Yellow Card

Silva recently told Portal do Vale Tudo that Costa would benefit from a larger camp, like Kings MMA, where the once-beaten middleweight contender could get outside his comfort zone and continue to grow as a martial artist.

"I sent him a direct message on Instagram asking him to train with a big team. I really believe that, with the level the sport has reached today, it is really important for a top contender to have a hard time at the gym everyday with different sparring partners,” Silva said. “’Borrachinha’ was my second choice on ‘TUF: Brazil 3’ against [Chael] Sonnen. I know this guy is special. He has a champion’s heart. Imagine a guy with his potential training at Kings MMA, Evolução Thai or CM System.”

That advice will be ignored.

“I really appreciate his concern. I already trained in many places in Brazil and around the world and never had the hard times I faced in my camps,” Costa replied (via Sherdog.com). “My team is doing a wonderful job. It worked so far and will continue to work, because the training is twice as hard as the fight itself. It will not be an accident that I’ll change everything. Make no mistake. No one watches my training, so don’t believe the guy who thinks he can tell you how it works.”

2. Sada555 Yellow Card Yellow Card

I really think he can improve from moving to one of the Top MMA Camps in the U.S
    Silva got a good point

AldoStillGoat, textwarrior and DLX like this.
  3. GueseGuy Yellow Card Yellow Card

Paulo Costa's problem is he's not a complete fighter. If he cannot bulldoze his way through you with his pressure striking, with his poor gas tank, he runs out of ways to win very quickly. There is no plan B if plan A does not work. Great fighters must be able to win in multiple ways because when you reach the highest levels, you cannot beat everyone in the same method.

4. VitorReem Geralt of Rivia

Should’ve listened to Silva

AldoStillGoat and DLX like this.
  5. Sweater of AV Gold Belt

You can't just turn water into wine at a new camp.

6. The Legendary Scarface Record since UFC 266 : 5-0

[Witty pun response]

7. Mr Wings Black Belt

<[analyzed}>

Sweater of AV likes this.
  8. 13Seconds Gold Belt

Poor gas tank? When has he gassed?

9. GueseGuy Yellow Card Yellow Card

Against Yoel he faded in the 3rd round. This is pretty common knowledge considering he's also actively avoided 5 round fights and when he fought Izzy he fought timidly because of cardio concerns in a 5 round fight.

10. BillyPilgrim Purple Belt

Wanderlei is right. With the right discipline and training partners, Costa would be a problem. There may be a reason he hasn't done it yet though. Some guys only like to battle on fight night and like to be the big fish in a small pond.

11. CPH street lethal

Listen to that voice. I'll bet that Wand's test levels are through the roof for life.

12. Mesos Black Belt

Wanderlie speaking facts and many people have been saying this for quite a while now. Paulo doesnt want to leave his comfort zone. Paulos headcoach is his brother who is a BJJ guy lol, and it’s obvious he likes it there because its his brothers personal gym, close to Paulos house and close to his mom (Paulos a mommas boy lol)

Also Costas lying alot of people have watched his training. He posted alot of it in his Vlogs on Youtube and I dont think the training he is doing is good enough. He does alot of personalized/focused training with sparring partners he brings in.

I think he should go to Sanford mma and focus more on muay thai training in a bigger team setting

13. 13Seconds Gold Belt

Everything you said after the first sentence is pure speculation. Im also sure his next fight is a 5 rounder.

VitorReem likes this.
  14. 13Seconds Gold Belt

Alot of times you can, alot of times you can't. History has proven changing of camps can do wonders.

15. Herwald Red Belt

Sometimes there are multiple right answers. Let's first see how Coster does in his return.

16. Hellowhosthat Steel Belt

Costa trains with Eric Albarracin doesn't he? That's hardly a shit gym.

El Fernas likes this.
  17. GueseGuy Yellow Card Yellow Card

lol

HP_Nut likes this.
  18. Ironnik94 Silver Belt

{<jordan}

19. Mesos Black Belt

Not really, Costa flys Eric out for like a few weeks leading up to a fight to help work on Wrestling. And he works on striking with some Boxing guy.

But Paulos head coach is his brother who is a BJJ guy .

Hellowhosthat likes this.
  20. El Fernas Gold Belt

Exactly my thoughts, but i dont know who that could be around his size also trains there, i mean he can get all the technique in the world training there and with Cejudo (if he still trains there), but some other good fighters around his weight class are required, the other successful fighter there is Patricio Pitbull who is a 145er, its not like he is at a shit camp, but moving to Kingz or ATT might do good for him, or with Trevor Whittman too.

Thepaintbucket and Hellowhosthat like this.