Television WANDAVISION Discussion (Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen the whole season of WANDAVISION, how would you rate it?

• Total voters

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: March 5, 2021

Dragonlord’s Review WANDAVISION (No Spoilers)

Bottom Line: Wandavision is a fun, mystery-filled drama with lots of zany turns and boasts an exceptional performances by Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany

L3A8Pxl.jpg

(Warning: This review will contain major spoilers. Please skip this if you have not watched the series yet)

Marvel Studios has dominated the theaters and is now poised to conquer the television side as well. With an impressive production values, Wandavision is the first of many Marvel Studios live-action television series. Each episode features the main characters in TV sitcom from various decades, paying homage to classics like I Love Lucy and Bewitched to modern hits like Malcolm in the Middle, The Office and Modern Family. Its unique premise kept viewers entertained and guessing the mysteries behind the set-up each week.

If you don’t like the first few episodes, I recommend that you reach episode 4 first before deciding to drop the series altogether because episode 4 will explain the events leading up to the weird sitcom situation.

Elizabeth Olsen was far from my choice for the Scarlet Witch role but after seeing her journey through the MCU and her outstanding dramatic performance in Wandavision, she owns the character and I am now having a hard time envisioning another actress in the role. Her chemistry with Paul Bettany, who also gave a terrific performance as well as showcasing his comedic abilities, is just amazing and effortlessly carries the show on their backs.

The supporting players were mostly positive. Kathryn Hahn was enjoyable as the nosy neighbor Agnes and then the big bad witch Agatha Harkness. Randall Park was endearing who reprises his role of Agent Jimmy Woo. Kat Dennings was absolutely adorable as now-astrophysicist Darcy Lewis and her acerbic style of humor was most welcomed.

Teyonah Parris as the grown up Monica Rambeau was pretty good for the first half of the series but found her a bit dislikable during the second half. Her final look was just terrible with her hairstyle (making her face look fat) and her silly Star Trek-like uniform was unflattering. S.W.O.R.D. director Hayward (Josh Stamberg) was building up to be a good antagonist but just fell short and ultimately became a one-dimensional villain. He just needed a few scenes to show his rationality for his actions.

The show had a lot of Easter eggs and water cooler moments but none bigger than the meta casting of Evan Peters as fake Pietro. Nothing came out of it in the end but that was still one of the funniest WTF moments of the MCU almost at par with Nick Fury’s post-credit scene in the first Iron Man. Another awesome moment was the appearance of Vision and Scarlet Witch’s vintage costume. It also proves that their classic costumes are doable with a few tweaks here and there.

One of the strengths of the show is that the episodes are released on a weekly basis. It gives viewers time to catch up with one another and discuss the events of each episode as well as speculate on their theories and predictions. It’s the reason why Wandavision is currently the most popular show for the past few weeks. But the weekly release format also has its disadvantages as the hype, fan theories and conjectures have gone out of control and cause disappointment when their expectations are not met. I am guilty of this also. I believe that this show would be received by casual viewers who will binge watch it. I also feel that fans will be less harsh and more accepting of the show when rewatching in the future as they now know what to expect and can just enjoy the show for what it presents.

The aftermath of Wandavision has some huge ramifications to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Wanda has officially become the Scarlet Witch and one of the, if not the most, powerful character in the MCU (sorry, Hawkeye). Last we saw her, Wanda was studying the Darkhold which could lead to more crazier stuff down the line as we’ll soon find out in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and possibly Spider-Man: No Way Home. The original Vision is back and he has retained some or all of his memories. Monica Rambeau gains superpowers and will eventually become Spectrum. She’s going to space and possibly be part of Secret Invasion. The powerful witch Agatha Harkness makes her debut and will no doubt serve as the Loki to Wanda’s Thor in future appearances. The personal journey of Wanda is tragic for sure as she lost loved ones but she has inadvertently caused a lot of death and suffering wherever she goes as well. She could be the creator or the destroyer of worlds in the future.

Better than the current CW superhero trash shows, better than most of the boring Netflix-Marvel shows, better than the awful YA Marvel shows on Freeform and Hulu, Wandavision is a tragic love story and coping up with loss at its core. It has been a fun ride and I’ve enjoyed reading people’s posts and discussing the show every week. See you all two weeks from now when The Falcon and Winter Soldier arrives (which I’ve said from the start would be better than Wandavision bleh)

Rating: 7.510

Update: September 20, 2020

First Trailer for WANDAVISION Starring Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany [Updated]

Update: September 18, 2019

Loki, Scarlet Witch and Other MCU Characters to Get Their Own TV Shows on Disney Streaming Service

c1kBV2A.jpg

Disney is enlisting Earth’s Mightiest Heroes as the company prepares to launch its upcoming streaming service. The entertainment giant is in early development on an ambitious plan for a number of limited series centered on popular characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. These series will likely include shows centered on Loki and the Scarlet Witch, along with other beloved superheroes who have yet to appear in their own standalone movies.

There’s an important distinction from other Marvel small screen efforts, however. The actors who portrayed these heroes and villains in the Avengers films and their spin-offs, such as Tom Hiddleston and Elizabeth Olsen, are expected to play them in the streaming shows. Moreover, though sources close to the production are staying mum on the cost of the programming, the budgets are expected to be hefty rivaling those of a major studio productions. Each series is expected to include six to eight episodes. Marvel Studios will produce the shows and Kevin Feige, the guru of all things MCU, is expected to take a hands-on role in their development.

The pricey gamble with one of the crown jewels of the Disney film empire is a sign of how much the company has riding on its direct-to-consumer platform. As companies such as Netflix and Amazon continue to grow their user base, Disney is trying to find a way to establish a toehold in the streaming revolution upending Hollywood. The company has kept the details of the service close to the vest, beyond saying that it will likely cost less than Netflix and will launch at some point in late 2019.

Disney has already started to unwind its licensing deals in order to put as much premium content on the platform as possible. That’s meant that the company is forfeiting billions of dollars in profit, as well as shouldering the cost of developing the technology. The company has announced a number of high-profile projects, including a Star Wars series overseen by “Jungle Book” director Jon Favreau, a show based on “High School Musical,” and a live-action “Lady and the Tramp” film. The company also plans to offer several new releases when it launches, including its live-action “Dumbo” film and “Captain Marvel.”

Many of these projects are expensive bets. The Star Wars series will reportedly cost $100 million and the movies are expected to carry budgets north of $25 million. However, Disney has to spend big to make an impression. Netflix, its main rival, has 125 million subscribers globally and has lured top talent like Ryan Murphy (“American Horror Story”), Kenya Barris (“Black-ish”), and Shonda Rhimes (“Grey’s Anatomy”) to its platform with record-setting deals.

The Marvel series are in early development and writers have yet to be attached to the projects. Marvel TV Studios and Disney have been active with shows that include ABC’s “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” and Netflix’s “Daredevil,” but sources say those shows will stay under Marvel TV banner with these limited series set under Marvel Studios.

Storylines for each series are still being teased out, but Disney appears to be holding back some significant fire power for the big screen. Insiders stress the Avengers that have gotten their own movies like Iron Man and Captain America will not be featured in the series with the studios focusing on characters who have served as second tier characters in the MCU.

When all is said and done, the Avengers shows could be the streaming service’s most ambitious project both in terms of their scope and budget. Most important, it gives the service something that will attract comic book fans and represents the type of content Netflix would love to get its hands on.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/...s-marvel-disney-streaming-service-1202947551/

Eh, I think they should start scaling this down to more quality-focused series here and there.

I just started watching the entire MCU catalogue in proper viewing order a few months ago, and am about halfway through (Phase 2). Although there are some pleasant surprises (IE: "Jessica Jones"), there's not enough crossover to justify these being in the same "universe," and a lot of it is just filler using the Marvel name to lure people in from the movies.

I'm hearing the problem only gets worse in Phase 3.

I want 50 1-hr episodes of a Jar-Jar Binks action-adventure series from Disney's new streaming service.

giphy.gif

I’m gonna assume these are prequels not starting Tom Hiddlestone. Far as I’m concerned, the whole deal is worth it for the snake scene
“‘Bleh! It’s me!’ And then he stabbed me.”

I can only get so many streaming services. I don’t see myself adding the Disney one.

I've been waiting for this and I'm excited as hell.

every company wants their own Netflix now

They see the Netflix money, they want a piece of that

Hopefully we'll get Spider-man, X-men, FF and Avengers shows someday.

Sold. I was wondering what kind of content they would add to make this specific new streaming service worthwhile, and I can get on board.

Damn this is huge. Disney going all in with marvel.

Imagine 6-8 hour long movie featuring your favorite hero. Especially with how entertainment medium is progressing to be more of an on-demand streaming service. Each episode will literally be a comic book issue. 5 issue World War Hulk = 8 episode series

Maybe not at first, but if it’s successful Disney can invest into the budget of these and grow it exponentially.

I'll I want is for a proper Heroes For Hire.

It's a fucking joke that Luke Cage didn't even appear in Iron Fist season 2.

Damn, Disney is really pulling out the big guns. Was planning on getting their streaming service cause my kiddo loves Disney stuff and they are pulling it from Netflix. But this just makes the move make more sense to me.

This is pretty big getting the actual actors from the movies to star. Surprised to hear that their service will be cheaper than Netflix. With Disney's already vast portfolio (Disney, Marvel, Fox, Star Wars, ABC, etc.) I have a hard time seeing them not completely taking over. Was already going to check out their service, this just makes it more appealing. I'm with @JonesBones, Netflix looking like they're about to get their shit pushed in once the Mouse enters the ring.

For those wanting to know why DIsney needs a truly competitive streaming business here is a post I wrote earlier today in the iPhone thread that explains why...

----------

I agree that Apple is struggling at any innovation or even copying the key innovation of others, as they used to in the past, to entice new user and broaden that base. it is a very dangerous practice to just push up price endlessly hoping the i'bots will keep buying. At a certain threshold you lose more customers than the incremental gain.

I think Apple buying someone like Tesla that already has a massively huge P/E comparatively would be dangerous. Apple has often been rumored to buy Disney and that one makes the most sense to me right now. Disney has the content but no real traction yet in the on demand delivery system and Apple has the delivery system but lacks in content.

On demand delivery has driven Netflix to a higher valuation than Disney despite the fact Disney's metrics are far better in every area. Investors are just betting on the delivery system (on demand) winning out in the long run.

And considering the Disney CEO sits on the Apple Board and the Apple CEO sits on the Disney Board I can see this eventually consummating. And Apple has the cash on hand to buy all of Disney. So they would turn a low performing asset of sitting cash that yields little share holder return into a performing, growing asset. Particularly if the Disney Asset can get revalued comparable to Netflix under the Apple banner. The acquisition would pay for itself via multiples if that happened.

Financial strength
Let's now take a look at some key financial metrics to see how Disney and Netflix stack up.

Metric.......................Disney..............Netflix

Revenue..................$57.91 billion.....$13.88 billion

Operating income.....$14.38 billion......$1.36 billion

Net income...............$12.02 billion......$0.99 billion

How about an alternate star wars series with Mark Hamill as Luke and no Rian Johnson in sight.

Damn this is huge. Disney going all in with marvel.

Imagine 6-8 hour long movie featuring your favorite hero. Especially with how entertainment medium is progressing to be more of an on-demand streaming service. Each episode will literally be a comic book issue. 5 issue World War Hulk = 8 episode series

Maybe not at first, but if it’s successful Disney can invest into the budget of these and grow it exponentially.

This. Im gonna assume they are gonna keep their golden characters on movie screen while the ones that arent heavily focused on but still have a fan base on tv series.

Smart move. And like you said, they are bringing out comics on screen for manority of their characters so far

A jar jar binx based childrens series would be a smash hit with kids. Disney is gonna make bank.

I should just start forwarding my paychecks over to Disney
My wallet and body are ready

I don't get how Feige has the time to be involved in all of these projects

Back