Wall Squat

Strikeforce

White Belt
Reaction score
I prefer to use bodyweight exercises over weight training, i was just wondering about the Wall squat exercise....
I've started to do Wall Squats in my routine instead of regular squats, i do one rep and hold for as long as i can. Is this more an isometric or endurance exercise? will i gain the same benifits as if i did regular bodyweight squats?
cheers.

If you ask me, no. I think wall squats put to much stress on your muscles and you have a good chance of damaging them. But im not a pro at this stuff so I could be wrong.

hold a medicine ball, makes it much more challenging. especially if you hold it above your head or with out stretched arms

ACR4V3N said:
If you ask me, no. I think wall squats put to much stress on your muscles and you have a good chance of damaging them. But im not a pro at this stuff so I could be wrong.
What in the name of blue jesus would make you think that?

Strikeforce said:
I prefer to use bodyweight exercises over weight training, i was just wondering about the Wall squat exercise....
I've started to do Wall Squats in my routine instead of regular squats, i do one rep and hold for as long as i can. Is this more an isometric or endurance exercise? will i gain the same benifits as if i did regular bodyweight squats?
cheers.
Isometrics exercises and endurance exercises are not mutually exclusive. Isometrics are one of the three types of muscle contractions: the other two are isotonic (ex. regular squatting) and isokinetic (complicated and you don't need to know it).

For acyclic sports, isometrics are probably an acceptable form of endurance training. Wall Squats are a common exercise for basketball players, but this is because basketball players have to condition their legs to maintain a defensive stance (a wide squat with toes out, basically) for long periods of time. The nature of the defensive position in basketball is isometric.

I guess if you hold the butterfly guard for long periods of time it might be useful. I could see some uses for this for grappling, I guess, not so much for striking. Even in the clinch, where fighters maintain tension against the force of their opponent, the knee is not at this acute an angle- nowhere close.

What matters is the time you spend under tension. How "long" is a long time?

ACR4V3N said:

...?...

Doing wall squats is having a continous stress on your muscles and not letting them have a break. From what I understand thats not good if you do it way to long, but like I said up there I could be wrong.

First, learn to lift weights properly: there is no bodyweight substitute for deadlifts. And take the time you're spending on wall squats and spend it doing pistols if you want to stick to bodyweight exercises.

I've attempted to do pistol squats but i can't keep balance!
Can you give me some advice regarding pistols? :D

Back