Wall-and-stall in Jones - DC

Only the 5th round was bad. Rest of the fight was fine. Damage was being delt in the clinch so it's wrong to seperate the fighters if damage is being inflicted or they are busy.
But like I said 5th round was the only round that needed seperations.

I have the question for old fans of UFC and MMA. Was wall-n-stalling in 5 round of these fight longest ever in MMA fights in the cage without separation? Overall could you remember the fights with more overall stalling and more consecutive stalling without being separated?

Randy made a career out of shoving guys against the cage but I wouldn't call it wall and stall.

Randy made a career out of shoving guys against the cage but I wouldn't call it wall and stall.

And in the Jones - DC fight you would call it so?

Jones was not "wall n stalling to prove a point". That is ridiculous. He was tired and felt the strain of a hard fight. Plus, who knows how hard he trained considering he was partying/doing coke mid camp (not shitting on him, stating a fact).

He took him down several times in round 4 to "out Cormier" him.. but holding him against the fence and doing nothing in round 5 was solely to coast and make sure he won the fight.

Your join date is showing ; ). You have a great avatar, though.

I said that Jones was proving a point and trying to "out Cormier" him because that's what Jones said. Of course he was tired too, it's the end of a 5 round fight, but he was also proving a point. He knew that it wasn't to the crowds liking, they were booing, but he wanted to prove a point.

(skip to 3:30 in the video)

He did the same in the 5th round against Texiera, but with his striking. He imitated George Foreman's blocking style, Roy Jones Jr's hands behind the back to left hook, Ali's shuffle and movement. He was showing off, impersonating his favourite boxers (I'm sure he watched a lot of boxing after the Gus fight).

The 5th round of the Cormier fight was aesthetically very different to the 5th round of the Texiera fight, but the psychology is the similar. The difference is that while Jones was just showing off in the Texiera fight purely to be entertaining, he was incredibly pissed off by Cormier and wanted to humiliate him, even at the expense of entertainment.

And I know you're kidding, but don't assume someone's Sherdog join date has any correlation to how long they've been a fight fan.

And yes, Taxi Driver is awesome.

That was one of the worst fights in modern day MMA.

Lately due to having a lot of time on my hands I started to watch PRIDE from the beginning again, and MAN there were some horribly boring fights in their first 7 or so events (Kimo/Severn, Kikuta/Renzo, the endless draws Shoji was in, etc)

To this day I don't know why PRIDE is so idolized and when people complain about boring fights bring up PRIDE as if it didn't have boring fights. The early events were packed with snoozers, Royce vs Sakuraba is something you watch once for the curiosity and then never again, and the judging and officiating was fucking appalling throughout its history.

For three rounds, the fight was fucking great. Lived up to the potential, and more. Round four was still pretty good - Jones throwing Cormier around etc - but both men started to slow down.

Fifth round was anti-climactic, but not surprising considering the kinda fight they fought. Grueling stuff for four rounds, of course they should be fucking exhausted.

To this day I don't know why PRIDE is so idolized and when people complain about boring fights bring up PRIDE as if it didn't have boring fights. The early events were packed with snoozers, Royce vs Sakuraba is something you watch once for the curiosity and then never again, and the judging and officiating was fucking appalling throughout its history.

Even a fight like Cro Cop - Fedor, that is often praised as being one of the best ever, wasn't actually all that entertaining. The second half of that fight was nothing special.

Wall and stall.

Coke and poke.

Mgr5QNk.jpg

I said that Jones was proving a point and trying to "out Cormier" him because that's what Jones said. Of course he was tired too, it's the end of a 5 round fight, but he was also proving a point. He knew that it wasn't to the crowds liking, they were booing, but he wanted to prove a point.

I can't accept anything Jones says as the truth.

He is a hypocrite and liar. He is even being investigated for perjury.

His explanation seems more like an attempt to buffer any criticism for a largely inactive period of the fight.

Not trying to change what you believe, just adding my perspective.

I can't accept anything Jones says as the truth.

He is a hypocrite and liar. He is even being investigated for perjury.

His explanation seems more like an attempt to buffer any criticism for a largely inactive period of the fight.

Not trying to change what you believe, just adding my perspective.

That's not unreasonable. I personally take everything thing Jones says with a grain of salt (or a bump of coke, amiriteguise?) especially outside the octagon. He's as "brand focussed" as GSP was... He's just not very good at it.

However, when he talks about his fights/fighting I find that he's generally pretty honest.

Plus, he has a history of beating people at their own games to prove a point. Especially if they've fucked with him. The prime example being Chael. He Chael'd Chael, just like he Cormier'd Cormier.

That's not unreasonable. I personally take everything thing Jones says with a grain of salt (or a bump of coke, amiriteguise?) especially outside the octagon. He's as "brand focussed" as GSP was... He's just not very good at it.

However, when he talks about his fights/fighting I find that he's generally pretty honest.

Plus, he has a history of beating people at their own games to prove a point. Especially if they've fucked with him. The prime example being Chael. He Chael'd Chael, just like he Cormier'd Cormier.

He also tried to outstrike Gus. That didn't work out so well for the most part lol.

He also tried to outstrike Gus. That didn't work out so well for the most part lol.

Yup, except for the part where he won the fight and left with the belt. Other than that though, didn't work out so well, lol.

Did wall-n-stall help DC? or Jones

Back