Wall-and-stall in Jones - DC

Gregoire1

дезоксерибонулеиновая кислота
@purple
Reaction score
I have the question for old fans of UFC and MMA. Was wall-n-stalling in 5 round of these fight longest ever in MMA fights in the cage without separation? Overall could you remember the fights with more overall stalling and more consecutive stalling without being separated?

This one lasted longer

[YT]aFI3ro37EdU[/YT]

Round 5 was really bad. I was quite surprised there was no break. I mean there were minutes on end of nothing happening except meaningless hand fighting against the cage.

First 3 rounds were great, the last 2 left a really bad taste that made me regret spending $60 to buy the show. I didn't care who won, didn't have a dog in the fight, but the card sucked as a whole and then for it to end with the longest 10 mins ever in such a high stakes fight... Bummer

I can't wait for Silva/Diaz, no chance that is boring. Plus 184 looks amazing, and the 2 Fight Nights are good, especially Sweden (Alex/Rumble, Hendo/Mousasi on the card for Sweden, then for Boston McGregor/Siver and Benson/Cerrone III... which is an alright card)

At least the UFC is not pulling the one fight per show cards like 182 and 183 are... I was going to go to McGregor/Siver but had went to the Boston show in 2013. It had McGregor on a prelim, and also featured Shogun/Sonnen, Overeem/Browne, Faber/Alcantara, Brown/Pyle, Hall/Howard, Lauzon/Johnson, MTB, and a lot of other great fighters.

Now they come back to Boston and give us TWO big fights, one of which fell out from injury (I was at least kinda hyped to see Benson/Alvarez, though Benson/Cerrone is cool too). I was excited to see Costa because I've long been a fan, and he got pulled from the event.

So yeah, it was really not worth the hundreds of dollars for tix for me, considering I spent hundreds to see a card 10x more stacked in the same arena just 15 months before. Shame the UFC has been watering shit down lately.. At least 184 and the Sweden show have solid main, co main and undercards.

As a big Jones fan he did so in multiple rounds to catch his breath....Either his cardio was not up to par or the uppercuts he ate at the end of round 1, and during much of rounds 2 and 3 had taken their toll....

As a big Jones fan he did so in multiple rounds to catch his breath....Either his cardio was not up to par or the uppercuts he ate at the end of round 1, and during much of rounds 2 and 3 had taken their toll....

I'm gonna say it was a combo of both. Plus as soon as the fight unfolded and Jones nailed DC with some really, REALLY good body shots in the opening rounds, I just knew it was going to tire DC if the fight went into deep waters.

Those body shots were yet another weapon added to Jones' arsenal. I was very impressed by the straight punches and hooks he landed to DC's body. The fact he has such a long reach, I'm surprised he hasn't made a big focus out of body shots before now - he can get them off from much further away than most fighters.

I believe the body shots took their toll on DC (plus the pressure of being in such a big time fight in general I'm sure). When he said to his corner "I'm trying" after round 4 I think, I felt he was dejected and perhaps broken. The look on his face, his body language, and the tone of his reply truly made me believe he was spent mentally. But in that same way, I also believe the great uppercuts and pressure DC put on Jones in the first 2 and a half rounds took their toll on Jones. However, Jones kept calm to a degree and did what he had to do to win - tie DC up and out grapple him, preventing him from dirty boxing and nailing him with powerful uppercuts in the clinch, which was really DC's best weapon in the fight. Jones adjusted and did better, whereas DC did not.

Once that fourth hit, they were pretty much dead, and with such high stakes and so much to lose, neither guy took too many chances - though I must commend Jones for taking down DC in round 4 when he knew he could pull it off. But unlike Jones, I thought DC using the last 90 seconds of the fight purely to get a meaningless takedown was silly, and under wrestling rules, what he got wouldn't even have been scored.

Especially after seeing the effort Lawler had put out to go in for the kill at the end of the previous PPV... DC should have went after Jones with EVERYTHING in the closing frame of that fight if he TRULY wanted to win.. Not just tried to take him down for a pointless moral victory. I think DC mentally broke in that fight.

I say this with all due respect. I like DC as a person a hell of a lot more than I like Jones, but that means nothing to me when it comes to the fights themselves. I was just excited to see a fight with 2 high level guys, and was hoping it'd go down as an all time classic. For it to end the way it did was disappointing - Jones doing whatever he could to shut DC down and secure a decision, and DC trying for a pointless TD instead of swinging for the fences - even if he risked being knocked out, this was the biggest fight of his life and he should have at least TRIED to win at the end.

Oh and PS, Jones stopping prematurely and then hitting DC when he was not aware and thought the fight was over was classless as fuck. One of the most unprofessional and lame things I've seen in the UFC, yet no one has really talked about it much in the aftermath, I guess due to the scandal.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, thanks for reading.

Round 5 was inexcusable.

Mir/Cro Cop was similar, if I remember correctly.

Round 5 was inexcusable.

Mir/Cro Cop was similar, if I remember correctly.

That was one of the worst fights in modern day MMA.

Lately due to having a lot of time on my hands I started to watch PRIDE from the beginning again, and MAN there were some horribly boring fights in their first 7 or so events (Kimo/Severn, Kikuta/Renzo, the endless draws Shoji was in, etc)

But Mir/CroCop was the modern day equal to Severn/Shamrock II. That fight fucking SUCKED, and the KO at the end didn't even help. It was the only time a KO that devastating just made no difference in how people saw or remember the fight (save for maybe Gonzaga's superman punch KO of Shawn Jordan - again after a horrible 14 mins of NOTHING). Everyone remembers it as one of the worst main events ever, and rightfully so. A lot of people even forget there WAS a finish.

I do think UFC 119 (that was the event right?) had multiple injuries and shifts in main and co main events though. I have an old flyer sent to me by my cable company in my in house gym that showed the card being Mir vs Big Nog II, and Lil Nog in the co main event vs somebody I can't remember. The show was originally a Nog Bros card, and when Nog got hurt, Mirko was his replacement maybe 3 weeks out? I do remember Mirko having a bad eye injury leading into that fight, but still, it was garbage and I blame both of them. This is coming from one of Mirko's biggest fans, too. I actually didn't order a few PPVs following that due to how pissed I was haha.

Mirko was such a shadow of himself at that point in his career, it's amazing to me that people try to claim the Mirko who fought in PRIDE and the Mirko who fought in the UFC were anywhere near the same caliber. He was shot by the time he got to the UFC.. and n00b fans try to act like he was never any good. Mirko on his worst day in 2004 or 5 would never, ever fight like that.

It wasn't the greatest fight but it just went down to show how good Jones really is - in my opinion, DC's best weapons are his takedowns and his up n close/clinch boxing and Jones seemed pretty happy to fight in the clinch with him, he ate some really nasty looking uppercuts and didn't seem that fazed by them

The wall'n'stall was bad, but certainly not the worst.

Mir v CroCop was worse. Any Carmont fight is worse. Hell, I think Hendricks did it worse in the previous PPV. At least Jones was throwing some strikes in the clinch.

And Jones was wall'n'stalling in the 5th to prove a point, that he could "out Cormier" DC. DC has pulled of wall'n'brawl (a la Velasquez) against a bunch of opponents, most notably Mir. Jones specifically held DC against the cage just to prove the point. It was boring, but the sheer audacity of it makes it ok for me.

However, I can understand how people were very bored by it. I also think people remember it as worse than it actually was. Both Jones and DC has moments of offense in that round. It wasn't literally 5 mins of wall'n'stall.

The wall'n'stall was bad, but certainly not the worst.

Mir v CroCop was worse. Any Carmont fight is worse. Hell, I think Hendricks did it worse in the previous PPV. At least Jones was throwing some strikes in the clinch.

And Jones was wall'n'stalling in the 5th to prove a point, that he could "out Cormier" DC. DC has pulled of wall'n'brawl (a la Velasquez) against a bunch of opponents, most notably Mir. Jones specifically held DC against the cage just to prove the point. It was boring, but the sheer audacity of it makes it ok for me.

However, I can understand how people were very bored by it. I also think people remember it as worse than it actually was. Both Jones and DC has moments of offense in that round. It wasn't literally 5 mins of wall'n'stall.

Jones was not "wall n stalling to prove a point". That is ridiculous. He was tired and felt the strain of a hard fight. Plus, who knows how hard he trained considering he was partying/doing coke mid camp (not shitting on him, stating a fact).

He took him down several times in round 4 to "out Cormier" him.. but holding him against the fence and doing nothing in round 5 was solely to coast and make sure he won the fight.

Your join date is showing ; ). You have a great avatar, though.

Maybe UFC or fightmetrics have any stats for these...

What exactly do you consider wall and stall? They might have stats for clinch work against the cage, but thats usually not "wall and stall"

He took him down several times in round 4 to "out Cormier" him.. but holding him against the fence and doing nothing in round 5 was solely to coast and make sure he won the fight.

I didnt see he "did nothing", IMO in part he really wanted to prove the point, and in part he was tired. But he landed a lot of strikes (definetly more, than DC, who just stood and was really exsausted). DC landed total 7 (!) striked during last round. Jones landed 26...

What exactly do you consider wall and stall? They might have stats for clinch work against the cage, but thats usually not "wall and stall"

Yes, I mean clinch work against the fence, sure.

Yes, I mean clinch work against the fence, sure.

Well thats not wall and stall and its pretty ignorant to call all clinch work against the fence that. Do you also think all top control is lay and pray?

Well thats not wall and stall and its pretty ignorant to call all clinch work against the that. Do you also think all top control is lay and pray?

No.

Back