Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Interesting video from Slate

[YT]vAcaeLmybCY[/YT]

Interesting facts
-Average WM cashier makes $8.81/hr
-WM sucks up $$300,000,000/yr in subsidies
-Giving employees a livable wage would increase prices 1.4% (e.g. a box of mac&cheese costing .68 cents would increase to .69 cents)

Interesting facts
-Giving employees a livable wage would increase prices 1.4% (e.g. a box of mac&cheese costing .68 cents would increase to .69 cents)

First, those greedy subhuman mutant who work there should be grateful to walmart for paying them more than minimum wage. Secondly, that 300 mil a year is just a show of gratitude from taxpayers for the privilege to shop in walmart stores at everyday low prices. The benevolence of walmart and other multinational corporations cannot go unrewarded.

First, those greedy subhuman mutant who work there should be grateful to walmart for paying them more than minimum wage. Secondly, that 300 mil a year is just a show of gratitude from taxpayers for the privilege to shop in walmart stores at everyday low prices. The benevolence of walmart and other multinational corporations cannot go unrewarded.

Haha. I thought you were serious at first... That first line is actually used by libertarian wack nuts.

For comparison, a full-time cashier at Costco makes $49,000 a year on average.

Yeah I really have no idea why there is so much sympathy for big businesses, yet god forbid some low wage earner gets an EIC payment.

10.10 is coming....in maybe 5 years, but by then the cost of living will have increased moving the new minimum wage even farther away from a livable wage.

This thread topic is more redundant and more retarded than all the Zimmerman and Israel threads lil Nicky creates.

This thread topic is more redundant and more retarded than all the Zimmerman and Israel threads lil Nicky creates.

And yet you somehow manage to be an even worse poster than either Big D or Nicky.

For comparison, a full-time cashier at Costco makes $49,000 a year on average.

I seriously doubt that. at 40 hours a week, that means they are paying the average cashier $25 an hour.

Let me just quickly explain why this video is stupid. If walmart raised their prices 1.4% less people would shop at walmart and they would actually make less profit. If they could raise their prices 1.4% and make billions more money they would already be doing it and just pocketing the profit. Supply and demand...if price goes up demand goes down.

Where did you get that figure from?

I seriously doubt that. at 40 hours a week, that means they are paying the average cashier $25 an hour.

There is no way this is true.

Oh ye of little faith. When has the mighty HOLA led thee astray?

Costco’s average hourly wage is $19.86 per hour; a full-time cashier makes about $49,000 annually, and 89% of Costco employees were eligible for benefits, of those 98.5% were on Costco’s benefit plan

http://beta.fool.com/hukgon/2012/01/06/interview-craig-jelinek-costco-president-ceo-p2/565/

Can also read plenty of comments backing this up, like
Costco meat cutter here. Meat cutters here are at the top of the hourly pay scale , 24.00 this year. I've been with the company 8 years and unfortunately I'm still only part time. Summers I get full time hours usually and I can get about 30hrs a week. (scheduled only 24) We also get 2 bonuses a year that make that 20 Hr our "true" rate of pay. Knowing all this now, I made 44k this year, and I can be active in my children's lives. Everyone has rough days, but I am very thankfully for my job.

here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/1z9zs7/til_a_fulltime_cashier_at_costco_makes_about/

Obviously because of what they pay, it's not easy to get it. But they treat their employees great. Low and behold, the company itself can more than afford those wages, they're doing great. Stock is a little overpriced right now, but it is definitely one to buy if you can get it at a nice price.

Let me just quickly explain why this video is stupid. If walmart raised their prices 1.4% less people would shop at walmart and they would actually make less profit. If they could raise their prices 1.4% and make billions more money they would already be doing it and just pocketing the profit. Supply and demand...if price goes up demand goes down.

No.

Oh ye of little faith. When has the mighty HOLA led thee astray?

http://beta.fool.com/hukgon/2012/01/06/interview-craig-jelinek-costco-president-ceo-p2/565/

Can also read plenty of comments backing this up, like

here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/1z9zs7/til_a_fulltime_cashier_at_costco_makes_about/

Obviously because of what they pay, it's not easy to get it. But they treat their employees great. Low and behold, the company itself can more than afford those wages, they're doing great. Stock is a little overpriced right now, but it is definitely one to buy if you can get it at a nice price.

You make 19.86 (hey, thats what I make!) you get just over 40k gross. your numbers dont add up.

http://us.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/hourly.php

Interesting video from Slate

[YT]vAcaeLmybCY[/YT]

Interesting facts

What would happen to their stock is what they are worried about. Imposing an across the board price increase would seriously damage their stock price, and that has serious ramifications for them. Its not as simple as this is making out.

You make 19.86 (hey, thats what I make!) you get just over 40k gross. your numbers dont add up.

http://us.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/hourly.php

uhh.

They have different positions aside from a cashier. The average hourly wage for everyone is $19.86, the average income for a full-time cashier(meaning they have seniority, and have been working for a while) is $49,000.

+ all you did was multiply 19.86 by 40. Who says they don't work 41 or 42 or 43 hours in a week sometimes, and get overtime?

Taddaaaa.

No, demand would increase at every wal-mart as an increase in wages for employees means that more money is spent at wal-mart. Employees shop at their own store, when they have more money they spend more money. It doesn't drift off to Arkansas and the average wal-mart customer shops at other competing stores regardless, so wal-mart is only assured of making more if they give their own employees more money.

Wal-mart is in a bind. They no longer have the leverage to squeeze their trade partners like they used to so they're squeezing labor and it's directly harming sales. Not only are stores not being properly stocked due to labor shortage, there's dissatisfaction by customers regarding lack of service. Stock analysts are telling wal-mart they need to raise wages and give workers more hours because they're shooting themselves in the foot.

For the record, Walmart's 10-year return on its stock is 31.93%. Costco's is 193.5%. Walmart yields 2.48% vs. 1.12% for Costco, but that doesn't nearly make up for it, obviously.

Granted, Walmart is a giant company, which makes it harder to grow, but their stock has been shit for a long time.

What would happen to their stock is what they are worried about. Imposing an across the board price increase would seriously damage their stock price, and that has serious ramifications for them. Its not as simple as this is making out.

http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2013/11/12/wal-mart-pay-raise/

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...-at-support-of-federal-minimum-wage-rise.html

Stock analysts believe walmart is getting beaten by its competition because they aren't supporting their labor. The first link remarks on why increasing wages means increasing sales at their stores.

absolutely spot-on OldGoat impression.

Back