wait, why is cody getting a title shot again.....

No he won't. The only pressure Dom gives is the pressure of losing a decision. He doesn't even have to worry about getting KOed. If anything, Cruz will be running the entire fight like he always does.
7 KO/TKO stoppages may prove otherwise.

If Cody wants that strap badly enough, he'll be running after Dom the entire fight.

/conversation

He beat the #11-ranked guy. Speaks for itself.

Next title shot will go to Eddie Wineland, btw

7 KO/TKO stoppages may prove otherwise.

If Cody wants that strap badly enough, he'll be running after Dom the entire fight.

/conversation
Haha. The finishing machine Dominic Cruz, with 2 finishes in his last 12 fights.......... Say what you want, but we all know he likes to Cruz towards a decision victory.

here's my problem with the situation, hyperbole in the OP aside.

Listen, Im not a Tj fan by any means. I literally root for anyone else he fights against, besides barao. But I have to be honest and fair here, he beat barao who was arguably p4p 1 twice, and he beat him HANDEDLY. He beat barao more significantly than Cruz beat TJ (I had the fight for cruz, could have easily gone to TJ) and that should count for something. He then like you said beat the number 1 contender. It boggles my mind that TJ wasn't granted a title shot. The guy deserves it.

Im sure cody is good, but he has 1 good win over mizugaki who'se ranked 15 right now. Also consider cody is ranked 5. not 4-3-2 or 1, he's 5. You can talk him up all you want, but there are 4 other guys ahead of him who should have gotten the shot. Even besides TJ, you have Lineker who IMO deserves a shot way more than cody. Get another win or 2, sure, Ill accept him as a title challenger.

this leaves the question, why him? I'd hate to think it's because he's tatted up and shit but I don't know for sure. Another possibility is that dana and WWE cough sorry WME have high hopes for him and expect him to beat Cruz. Athough i seriously doubt it.

there are threads everyday on whether conor deserved a shot or if Bisping should be cherry picking old fighters but this one seems to be going under the radar. I understand that marketing and money goes into choosing who fights who, but if we don't set a precedent that is fair to rankings as well the sport is going down the wrong path IMO.
I completely agree with you.
But UFC is hard to grasp what they are looking to do.
Look at Conor, lesnar and many other examples.
Gifted title shots due to popularity.

Look at CM Punk. Got into the UFC just because of popularity.

I do think they are pushing this away from the sports factor, and concentrating purely and exclusively in profit.

But the problem does not lie with them. It lies with the fans.
As long as people will accept it and defend it, it will continue.

It would take fans actually boycotting the UFC to hurt them in their pockets, and then (maybe) they will take the sport more serious.
But quite frankly, I don't see that happening.
MMA fans are far from being united, and very different in perception of what they want to see in the octagon.

Some people wanted to see Bisping fight Dan, despite all other deserving top contenders.
I recall some people wanted Jon Jones to fight Sonnen as well, even though he was not even ranked in LHW division at the time.

So this is what UFC banks on. that no matter how much they disregard about rankings for the sake of popularity, people will watch and as such, they can justify it.

Haha. The finishing machine Dominic Cruz, with 2 finishes in his last 12 fights.......... Say what you want, but we all know he likes to Cruz towards a decision victory.
Cruz will smash your aggressive hipster...you'll wish you had never gotten those neck tats!

Dillashaw is almost like Hilary Clinton. No one likes the guy.

TJ deserves it more, Dom is putting off that rematch because he knows TJ is absolutely the one guy in that weight class that can beat him

So? That's also why he has 9 KO's in 10 wins. Dom is good but boring. People who take some risks are simply more fun to watch.
For you maybe, if im training my son i want him getting out of there with minimal damage.

My favourite fighters to watch are gsp and dom, go figure

He's marketable. Got nothing else to do with other than that.

Back