Wait how does Gustafsson get title shot after a loss?

Cormier won the title coming off a loss TS.

Gus has not top 5 wins and only 1 true top 10 opponent (meaning in different ranking systems) who has been on a downward spiral. Yet, he is #2 in the division (excluding Jones) and will stay above Bader, Glover, etc even if he loses because he looks better in his losses than a lot of winners.

Gus will be the first along with DC who have fought all three out of the Jones, DC, Rumble and Gus quartet. Gus is fighting very tough competition, and he basically fought an even 25min war against Jones. IF he beats DC, they have gone full circle of rock (Rumble), scissors (Jones, Gus), paper (DC). Kinda funny when you think about it, only thing missing from perfection would be Rumble beating Jones.

Ps.Shogun was top4 ranked when Gus beat him.

Gus has more fans than Bader which is more important than actually earning a title shot

Isn't he fighting a guy who got a title shot off a loss?
It happens. Matchmaking can't do much about injuries.

And Gus is the best guy in the division not named DC, why not make the fight? Glover will most likely be next which also makes sense (unless Gus wins and the UFC wants to capitalize on a Johnson rematch).

He didnt get it because he's always injured, this guy fights like once in a year and wants to be a champion? He was scheduled to fight Glover in Berlin, again injured and now getting TS. I don't hate the guy, i hate the situation and UFC decisions

I was preferring more to the instant rematch people were expecting right after their first fight, but Jones ducked then and wanted to fight Glover. And yes, another time he got injured, tough luck, and after that happened the press brawl between Jones and DC so that fight became so huge UFC made a decision to piss Gus in the eye and stick to Jones vs Cormier even when Jones himself got injured and they could have again wait both Jones and Gus to get healthy. Gus had a ton of bad luck for not getting that rematch at all against Jones, and then he had to face a dangerous contender in Rumble and lost.

Now he finally got lucky with this shot. Personally I couldnt care less if people doesnt like it.

Matchmaking hasn't changed in the ufc for years. You just now catching on to it?

Isn't he fighting a guy who got a title shot off a loss?
It happens. Matchmaking can't do much about injuries.

And Gus is the best guy in the division not named DC, why not make the fight? Glover will most likely be next which also makes sense (unless Gus wins and the UFC wants to capitalize on a Johnson rematch).

I am expecting that, I think if Rumble beats Manuwa and Gus wins then we'll see that fight

Cormier won the title coming off a loss TS.
Obiviously there wasn't many options and Cormier lost 5 round decision in a decent fight against Jones, he deserved title since his only loss was to Jones

Obiviously there wasn't many options and Cormier lost 5 round decision in a decent fight against Jones, he deserved title since his only loss was to Jones

Exactly. And I'm ok with DC getting a shot when the only one who beat him is out and it was a hard faught loss. It was a match to determine a new champion.

But when a champion is established and someone comes out of a knock out loss to get a shot, that's too far for me.

I was preferring more to the instant rematch people were expecting right after their first fight, but Jones ducked then and wanted to fight Glover. And yes, another time he got injured, tough luck, and after that happened the press brawl between Jones and DC so that fight became so huge UFC made a decision to piss Gus in the eye and stick to Jones vs Cormier even when Jones himself got injured and they could have again wait both Jones and Gus to get healthy. Gus had a ton of bad luck for not getting that rematch at all against Jones, and then he had to face a dangerous contender in Rumble and lost.

Now he finally got lucky with this shot. Personally I couldnt care less if people doesnt like it.

Fighters should be active and earn victories - that's how to earn TS, he decided to wait then got Rumble (and he doesn't want to fight him too, i guess UFC pressured him)

Exactly. And I'm ok with DC getting a shot when the only one who beat him is out and it was a hard faught loss. It was a match to determine a new champion.

But when a champion is established and someone comes out of a knock out loss to get a shot, that's too far for me.

It doesnt bother me so much with Gus, although Cormier was more of a credible title shot because he fought the real champ to a 5 round decision like you said and Jones was out.

In the case of Gus, he is coming of a KO loss but we have to consider that the guy that KO'd him just lost a title fight so he's out of the title picture for now. Gus is the next best guy. Regarding Bader, he hasnt fought since Jan so Gus leaped over him but so did Cormier.

You just now realized Gus is fighting for the title again?

Completely wrong.
But ok.

AJ completely stoped Alex and than bumped on Cormier.
It would be much interesting if AJ get the rematch, now that Jones is out.

Fighters should be active and earn victories - that's how to earn TS, he decided to wait then got Rumble (and he doesn't want to fight him too, i guess UFC pressured him)

He earned that rematch already with fighting basically an even 25min war against the P4P 1 fighter, thats what the majority of the MMA community was expecting at the time. But he didnt get it because of Jones` ducking and had to take another fight and beat Manuwa. It was Jones all the way who was avoiding that rematch and postponing it in every way possible, UFC had a tough time to get him sign that contract. It wasnt until Gus got injured in late 2014 when you could say Gus "decided to wait".

I agree he probably didnt want to fight Rumble, but who can blame him? He was already ranked as the number 1 contender. True, Gus didnt deserve this titleshot at all, it is a total gift. But no one can say he didnt also miss a another title shot at the time he did deserve one.

TS, come on. Is this the first time ur watching the UFC???

Randy Couture, Anderson Silva, Barao, Cain, Chael Sonnen, Frankie Edgar, just to name a few...

Watch Spartacus and you will understand haha. Things haven't changed one bit. The pale barbarian is popular among the crowd. And with good reason in fact.

Back