Wait how does Gustafsson get title shot after a loss?

Clippy

Good Times
@plutonium
Reaction score
Sorry, did I miss something? Has this ever happened before? I don't remember a title shot happening where the #1 contender comes off a loss?

It's not an actual title, and rumble just lost too, there's only 4 guys at lhw and one of them is rehabbing

It's happened before. It will continue to happen. The recent matchmaking is a shame but i love this fight.

I think giving him the shot coming off a loss is strange but they really don't have a ton of options. Like... Bader is probably their next best bet at this point.

Yeah I get that there's not stellar competition right now ... but it still seems wrong to me.

Don't get me wrong I'm excited for this fight, I just wish he was coming off a win :)

i dont know if anyone has gotten a TS after getting knocked out in the first round though

Not just a loss. A 1st round KTFO loss in his hometown agains the guy that just got dominated by the current champ.

#JustUFCThings

Even the most hardcore Gus fans know this is a bullshit title shot. I don't think much of Bader but he is definitely the most deserving right now.

i wonder if Rumble would have gotten the title, who he would be figting? I doubt Rumble-Gus 2

Gus has not top 5 wins and only 1 true top 10 opponent (meaning in different ranking systems) who has been on a downward spiral. Yet, he is #2 in the division (excluding Jones) and will stay above Bader, Glover, etc even if he loses because he looks better in his losses than a lot of winners.

i wonder if Rumble would have gotten the title, who he would be figting? I doubt Rumble-Gus 2

good question. hell maybe they would have let Vitor have a shot at him after his fight with Weidman.

It's happened before and it will happen again, thats the fight promotion game. Happens in ufc, overall mma, boxing. Its just the nature of how the business works.

After the 187, UFC should have booked immediately number one contender fight in Bader/Gus or Bader vs. someone else. Anyway, coming from a 1st round TKO Loss and getting a TS is ridiculous, fighters should earn TS

He didnt get his rematch against Jones when he had earned it, and now he gets a titleshot when he doesnt deserve it. Strange.

He didnt get his rematch against Jones when he had earned it, and now he gets a titleshot when he doesnt deserve it. Strange.
He didnt get it because he's always injured, this guy fights like once in a year and wants to be a champion? He was scheduled to fight Glover in Berlin, again injured and now getting TS. I don't hate the guy, i hate the situation and UFC decisions

Back