Wag The Dog (1997)

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Kingz, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Kingz

Kingz Gold Belt

I've watched this movie a few times over the last few months during it's current engagement on HBO. I saw it a couple times back in the 90's as well, but i was a kid and didn't fully understand it. Not that it's complex or anything, it just i was probably 12 or 13 when i saw it and didn't understand nor really give a fuck about political spin. I just thought at most it was a mildly funny movie with a lot of recognizable actors in it. Didn't consider it a great film but i do now.

I watch it now and it's a pretty special underrated film. Especially how DeNiro's character hits the nail on the head about the future of war, media manipulation, the cold reality behind the over the top satire, and the irony at the end. The acting is great in it, especially from Dustin Hoffman.

The one thing about it that was too silly was the idea that the President's seat could be saved with anything when there was a sex scandal involving a girl scout out there..the makers overcooked the scandal but overall great film.

Also reminds me of how cute Anne Heche was in the 90's.

Thoughts on this film? Anybody see it when they were younger and revisited again when they were older with different feelings?

I know it's always been considered a good film but i'm surprised it's not referenced very often.

2. jmag

jmag Brown Belt

The film brought light on how much they apparently do it in reality. Wasn't it in response to Clinton lopping missiles to divert attention from his sexcapades?

3. MyIQ is Biscuit

MyIQ is Biscuit Banned Banned

I've been telling people for the last few years that they should watch Wag the Dog. I've got a feeling this movie is very close to reality, unfortunately.

4. Troublesome10

Troublesome10 non serviam belt

Never even heard of it. I guess that proves it's underrated. lol

I'll have to check it out. Plotline seems like my kind of thing.

5. Kingz

Kingz Gold Belt

Yeah, i re-watch movies i like quite often. Which is why i didn't touch the "movies you've seen more than 10 times" thread because i've seen countless movies far more than 10 times. Didn't want people to think i was a person who spent most of his free time watching movies.

I doubt i would be that entertained by your two year old daughter. So i guess that goes two ways.

6. jeremyemilio

jeremyemilio Silver Belt

Nope. It was the other way around. Movie came out first. The Lewinsky scandal. The missiles. Then comparisons to movie.

One glitch: Clinton was launching missiles at Al Qaeda, and at Bin Ladin in particular.

7. ithinktheymad

ithinktheymad Red Belt

They made us watch it in high school lol.

8. Kingz

Kingz Gold Belt

Actually, i think this film was sort of a premonition because it came out a year before Clinton-Lewinsky thing was public and in the midst of that, Clinton started sending missiles to terrorist compounds. Which garnered "Wag the Dog" criticisms.

EDIT: Jeremyemilio beat me to it.

9. Tankeray

Tankeray Salvation Denied.

So you don't like movies, you've made your point (again).

10. Tankeray

That's the same thing your daughter will say about you 16 years from now.

11. Tankeray

Did it? Man you sound weak as fuck.

Now go do something useful and attempt to make a better life for your progeny instead of spending time wondering how adults without the attention span of a two-year-old get through a whole movie.

12. Tankeray

And why the fuck did you send me a friend request?

I'm not your fucking friend. Fucking weirdo.

13. Tankeray

You're trolling is terrible man. Go away.

14. Tankeray

lmao ok.

What you're saying is so fucking stupid, its like saying you don't want to listen to a song or an album ever again because you've already heard it.

Are people also "weird" because they listen to a song or an album more than once as well? Is this also something you cannot understand?

I really fear for future generations, jesus christ...