Wag The Dog (1997)

Kingz

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I've watched this movie a few times over the last few months during it's current engagement on HBO. I saw it a couple times back in the 90's as well, but i was a kid and didn't fully understand it. Not that it's complex or anything, it just i was probably 12 or 13 when i saw it and didn't understand nor really give a fuck about political spin. I just thought at most it was a mildly funny movie with a lot of recognizable actors in it. Didn't consider it a great film but i do now.

I watch it now and it's a pretty special underrated film. Especially how DeNiro's character hits the nail on the head about the future of war, media manipulation, the cold reality behind the over the top satire, and the irony at the end. The acting is great in it, especially from Dustin Hoffman.

The one thing about it that was too silly was the idea that the President's seat could be saved with anything when there was a sex scandal involving a girl scout out there..the makers overcooked the scandal but overall great film.

Also reminds me of how cute Anne Heche was in the 90's.

Thoughts on this film? Anybody see it when they were younger and revisited again when they were older with different feelings?

I know it's always been considered a good film but i'm surprised it's not referenced very often.

The film brought light on how much they apparently do it in reality. Wasn't it in response to Clinton lopping missiles to divert attention from his sexcapades?

I've been telling people for the last few years that they should watch Wag the Dog. I've got a feeling this movie is very close to reality, unfortunately.

Never even heard of it. I guess that proves it's underrated. lol

I'll have to check it out. Plotline seems like my kind of thing.

Watching a movie a few times over a couple months? My two year old daughter would be bored with you

I've never understood people who can sit down on a couch and watch a movie they've seen ten times.

#hashtagsdontworkherebutimausethemanyways

#yourlifeprobablysucksminedoes

Yeah, i re-watch movies i like quite often. Which is why i didn't touch the "movies you've seen more than 10 times" thread because i've seen countless movies far more than 10 times. Didn't want people to think i was a person who spent most of his free time watching movies.

I doubt i would be that entertained by your two year old daughter. So i guess that goes two ways.

The film brought light on how much they apparently do it in reality. Wasn't it in response to Clinton lopping missiles to divert attention from his sexcapades?

Nope. It was the other way around. Movie came out first. The Lewinsky scandal. The missiles. Then comparisons to movie.

One glitch: Clinton was launching missiles at Al Qaeda, and at Bin Ladin in particular.

Actually, i think this film was sort of a premonition because it came out a year before Clinton-Lewinsky thing was public and in the midst of that, Clinton started sending missiles to terrorist compounds. Which garnered "Wag the Dog" criticisms.

EDIT: Jeremyemilio beat me to it.

At least she says shit you aren't already rehearsing in your head, and can add new dialogue and action.

I was a child the last time I watched a full movie ( Lion King ) feom beginning to end.

You either really love to know what is gonna happen or you have a lot of time

So you don't like movies, you've made your point (again).

I think your low wit, and below average posting abilities were lost upon your Plat. Now nothing about you is memorable.

That's the same thing your daughter will say about you 16 years from now.

Burn. Lol, I am trying to remember my first witty quip, I'd imagine it sped up my heartbeat, gave me chills, and made me nervous

Did it? Man you sound weak as fuck.

Now go do something useful and attempt to make a better life for your progeny instead of spending time wondering how adults without the attention span of a two-year-old get through a whole movie.

And why the fuck did you send me a friend request?

I'm not your fucking friend. Fucking weirdo.

Must be trolling, we have opposing views

lmao ok.

What you're saying is so fucking stupid, its like saying you don't want to listen to a song or an album ever again because you've already heard it.

Are people also "weird" because they listen to a song or an album more than once as well? Is this also something you cannot understand?

I really fear for future generations, jesus christ...

Back