Vulkan Ultralight First Impressions

toolshed

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I just received my Vulkan Ultralight gi. I decided on this gi because I needed a light gi for competitions...(2.8lbs yeah baby!). I'm 5'7 and 150ish pounds with a stalky build. I purchased the A1 and it fits me perfectly. The gi comes preshrunk and so I am quite pleased with the fit.

I will provide an update once I roll in this bad boy. But at first glance I can understand why some have given this kimono poor reviews. If you are between sizes, I do not suggest getting this gi because if you buy the larger size it would be fairly loose fitting coupled with the fact that the gi is very thin and easy for your opponents to grip. Best bet would be to buy both sizes and return one of them.

Pants are nothing special and I prefer my Atama Mundial 9 ripstops. Overall first impression, I give it a 7 out of 10. I bought mine at Fightersmarket.ca where shipping is free.

I almost bought the Vulkan ultralite. Needed something quality yet inexpensive. After reading several reviews such as this one I decided to go with a local company called Padilla and Sons. Bought a blue gold weave and just waiting on fedex.

SO STOKED!!! :icon_twis

I almost bought the Vulkan ultralite. Needed something quality yet inexpensive. After reading several reviews such as this one I decided to go with a local company called Padilla and Sons. Bought a blue gold weave and just waiting on fedex.

SO STOKED!!! :icon_twis

P&D have had very good reviews...but you really can't compare the two gi's. If making weight is not an issue for you at competitions then I think you will be much happier with the Padilla and Sons.

Well folks having just rolled in my Vulkan after a 4 week break I must say I am very pleased with this gi. I think the poor reviews of this gi stem from peeps buying the wrong size or if you are caught between sizes.

The gi does feel like a feather while your sparring and is a nice change from my Atama 9. Complaints about others being able to establish their grips to easy, I don't see it as a major issue as you will eventually have to learn how break grips as you advance anyway. I will say though that the collar is fairly stiff and does nudge up against the neck a little more than I like. Otherwise, this is a solid comp and summer gi. I give it a 8/10.

Last edited:
Ya, but have you guys seen the DMX kimono from domgear.com it comes standard with a rashguard liner and is super tough.

Well folks having just rolled in my Vulkan after a 4 week break I must say I am very pleased with this gi. I think the poor reviews of this gi stem from peeps buying the wrong size or if you are caught between sizes.

The gi does feel like a feather while your sparring and is a nice change from my Atama 9. Complaints about others being able to establish their grips to easy, I don't see it as a major issue as you will eventually have to learn how break grips as you advance anyway. I will say though that the collar is fairly stiff and does nudge up against the neck a little more than I like. Otherwise, this is solid comp and summer gi. I give it a 8/10.

Good to hear man! I never owned an ultralight gi and was just worried about the stretchiness of the vulkan ultralight. Are the vulkan U/L pants comparable to the atama mundial 9's?

Good to hear man! I never owned an ultralight gi and was just worried about the stretchiness of the vulkan ultralight. Are the vulkan U/L pants comparable to the atama mundial 9's?

No they are just regular (cotton I think) pants and not the ripstop material like the 9. They are lighter than your average pants though.

Back