1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Vulkan Pro Light Gi vs Atama Ultra-Lite

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by LidarDan15, Aug 5, 2010.

1. LidarDan15

LidarDan15 White Belt

I am 5'10.5" and 168 lbs. I am Looking for a lightweight gi. I have a Koral Classic gi, and it's just too heavy for my liking so I want to convert to a lighter gi. I am stuck between the Vulkan Pro Light and the Atama Ultra-Lite. All the reviews I read say these two gi's are the kings of the Lightweight and durability mountain. I am stuck on which to choose! HELP PLEASE! :icon_cry2

2. LidarDan15

LidarDan15 White Belt

Nobody can help me?

3. Dougrok

Dougrok Orange Belt

I think your getting confused with the Vulcan Ultra Lite. The Pro lite is just a normal weight bjj gi.

The Vulcan Ultra Lite is very very lite that can be compared to the Atama Ultra Lite.

On sale New Vulkan White ULTRA Light Kimono - $118.99

The Vulcan a little lighter, but the Atama offers a thicker collar. The Vulcan won't shrink as much.

4. sidjo

sidjo White Belt

@Dougrok - so do you think the Atama shrinks a lot?

5. fighting.spirit

fighting.spirit Yellow Belt

In terms of being light and comfortable, there's nothing like the Vulkan Pro Light. I've never read a "bad" review about the Vulkan PRO LIGHT except that it doesn't have a tailored fit (which is true). The Atama ultra-light, on the other hand, I've read several bad reviews about it. I'd definitely go with the Vulkan Pro Light size A2.

I have both the Vulkan Pro Light and the Koral Classic. The Vulkan is definitely what you're looking for. It's much lighter and much more comfortable than the Koral.

Oh, and I very much disagree with a previous post that stated that the Vulkan pro light is a "normal weight bjj gi" and that you're looking for the Vulkan ultra light. The ultra light is only a bit lighter than the pro light, but it's not as durable and stretches A LOT when pulled. Definitely go with the Pro Light.

6. fighting.spirit

fighting.spirit Yellow Belt

You're mistaken, friend. The Pro light is definitely not a a normal weight bjj gi. It was made to be one of the lightest bjj gis. The ultra light is only a bit lighter than the pro light.

VULKAN PRO LIGHT DESCRIPTION AND WEIGHT:

"Vulkan gis are made of Honey Comb Weaved Fabric and Rubber Lapel providing lightness, quality and faster drying. Superlight, It weights about 2.8 lbs. Vulkan gi's are the lightest gi in the market today. Great Gi for everyday training and especially for those hot summer days!!!"

A1 VULKAN PRO LIGHT = 2.8 lbs

VULKAN ULTRA LIGHT DESCRIPTION AND WEIGHT:

"Vulkan gis are made of Honey Comb Weaved Fabric and Rubber Lapel providing lightness, quality and faster drying. The Ultra Light model is even lighter than the Pro light, it weighs about 2.6 lbs. It is the best option if you are close to being over the weight limit of your division at tournaments."

A1 VULKAN ULTRA LIGHT = 2.6 lbs

7. beeran1

beeran1 Purple Belt

My advice, as a former Vulkan Pro Light owner? Just get a Fushida Mantis. Weight is similar, fit is soooo much better, at least for me. Also, about $60 less.

8. SumOfmyActions

SumOfmyActions Yellow Belt

Ultra light is very light and durable, but good luck getting your sleeve back if your opponent has a good grip. It's like playing army dodgeball.

9. Nomad Nemesis**

Nomad Nemesis** Brown Belt

vulkan pro lite is my favorite gi. i am 6'4 about 205 right now and fits perfect.