Vpn

squeezewax

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Yesterday a mate told me that I should get a vpn, has anyone here got/had one? Is it worth getting one?

I have ExpressVPN. It's good. Wide range of locations available and doesn't effect my speeds much. I haven't gotten any of dem ISP warnings since I started using, and I heard they don't keep data logs so my parole officer's shit out of luck

I have ExpressVPN. It's good. Wide range of locations available and doesn't effect my speeds much. I haven't gotten any of dem ISP warnings since I started using, and I heard they don't keep data logs so my parole officer's shit out of luck
You have internet testrictions on parole?

Technically, a VPN is just an encrypted connection, usually over the public network space, to another endpoint (a dedicated VPN device, or even another computer). What you're buying is an encrypted connection to what is essentially a bandwidth reseller, so your downloads, browsing and uploads use their internet connection. If their link is slower than your domestic connection, then your performance will be bottlenecked.

What makes it private is that it's hard to monitor what's happening between your computer (or router) and their network. If someone wants to see what you've been doing, they'll ask the VPN service provider for logs. They'll tell you they don't log traffic, but you shouldn't take that as a guarantee of anonymity. Quite a few have "found" logs, when they've been pushed by the authorities.

Definitely safer than downloading stuff directly, but not 100% guaranteed safe.

I thought this was going to be about using something like openVPN (what I have setup) for outside access to your home network. Looks like this is more a question about using a proxy to mask your internetz activities.

I use private internet access as my VPN.. works pretty well and speeds stay fast enough..

How is this going to help me watch Netflix from the UK?

How is this going to help me watch Netflix from the UK?

You just create a dummy UK address for the account and set your VPN to some place in UK

I'm in Canada and accessing shit only white 'murcan folk are allowed to have. dat VPN

You just create a dummy UK address for the account and set your VPN to some place in UK

I'm in Canada and accessing shit only white 'murcan folk are allowed to have. dat VPN

I need to do that....

Yeah I use IPVanish and so far it's pretty good. I have been using it for about 2-3 months

PIA also works well for me down under - and it does allow us to grab all that US netflix stuff too.

being in australia quite often i'll go to watch a video but get the message 'video not available in your country.' I get this whenever i've tried watching the BBC iplayer, for example. Really annoying.

Come live in China brah...you'll get really good at using vpns...

Another vote for Private Internet Access. I've been using it for about a year and have no complaints.

I thought this was going to be about using something like openVPN (what I have setup) for outside access to your home network. Looks like this is more a question about using a proxy to mask your internetz activities.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, which the question would be really hard to answer without knowing more. I use SyscoVPN to access my work servers/network from home.

There's all kinds of free and paid proxy services out there, but I don't know enough about the legality of them or if they would be forced to (or cave) if pressured by authorities to give up any logs regarding illegal file sharing or other activities.

Proxies obviously adds a layer of anonymity to what you're doing, but if you're watching a few streams I don't think you have anything to worry about. You can also use proxy services if you are trying to say access US nexflix from Canada, but there are free ways to do that as well if you are inclined enough to read up on it.

I don't even have netflix anymore though, I just got a $100 android TV box, and use xbmc and addons to stream any movie, TV show or sports event imaginable.

Back