Volkanovski vs Islam for a lightweight title?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
So it almost is the norm that UFC just gives out to titleshots to whoever they want, regardless of how much they deserve or don't deserve it.

Back when Aldo was at the peak of his game, UFC won't allow him to move up to LW without giving up his FW title. Who really thinks Aldo wouldn't have beaten Edgar for example at LW?

By no means am I a Volkanovski fan, but Volkanovski would pose a very interesting threat to Islam, who I think has a great shot at becoming a champ if and only if he can get a title shot.

Even though I'm sure Islam and Khabib has a better top game than Mendes, Volkanovski completely nullified Mendes's wrestling and top control, though it could be argued that Mendes may have been past his prime.

Volkanovski likely isn't that far off from being included amongst toughest manlets in the UFC, but he was a big dude who could compete in Rugby carrying all that weight, so I think that he could move up a weight class pretty well and gain proper weight to do so.

I'm not sure if Volkanovski can clean out the division, but if he can, I'd like to think by then Islam would have gotten the title shot unless he run into something in one of his fights.

Who would win, Volk or Islam if they were to fight for the lightweight belt sometime down the road?

It's all about match ups, funny enough I can see Cejudo beating Volk, but god that would be such an undeserved fight

cejudo really needs to decide if hes really in or hes just gonna sit on the sidlines making empty call outs forever.

I don't know about Islam getting Volk but he certainly deserves to get a big name fight riding an 8 fight win streak in the UFC.

cejudo really needs to decide if hes really in or hes just gonna sit on the sidlines making empty call outs forever.
I'm kinda sick of his dumbass sitting on this sideline taking shots at fighters with his big mouth. Put up or shut up.

So it almost is the norm that UFC just gives out to titleshots to whoever they want, regardless of how much they deserve or don't deserve it.

Back when Aldo was at the peak of his game, UFC won't allow him to move up to LW without giving up his FW title. Who really thinks Aldo wouldn't have beaten Edgar for example at LW?

By no means am I a Volkanovski fan, but Volkanovski would pose a very interesting threat to Islam, who I think has a great shot at becoming a champ if and only if he can get a title shot.

Even though I'm sure Islam and Khabib has a better top game than Mendes, Volkanovski completely nullified Mendes's wrestling and top control, though it could be argued that Mendes may have been past his prime.

Volkanovski likely isn't that far off from being included amongst toughest manlets in the UFC, but he was a big dude who could compete in Rugby carrying all that weight, so I think that he could move up a weight class pretty well and gain proper weight to do so.

I'm not sure if Volkanovski can clean out the division, but if he can, I'd like to think by then Islam would have gotten the title shot unless he run into something in one of his fights.

Who would win, Volk or Islam if they were to fight for the lightweight belt sometime down the road?
Islam is even big for other lightweights, I don't see how Volk could keep him off on the scrambles and top pressure. It would be hard for Islam to get the first takedown because of Volk's short stature and takedown defense. But eventually he'd get him down. I would think it would probably be a boring points decision win for Islam.

Reactions: mkt
He's done bud, let it go. I'll believe he comes back the second he hops back into the testing pool, and actually calls for a fight he has a chance in hell of getting, until then he's just following the Diaz method of trying to keep his name out there for business purposes. At best we might see him in 6 years should he need the payday.

… or how about Volk vs the lightweight champion if it’s for a belt

Way too random of a suggestion lol... I'd have Islam as a sizable favorite for sure. It would be a significant weight advantage from a guy with amazing grappling, by far bigger and more skilled at grappling than anyone he's ever faced. Ortega almost got him, Mendes took him down... not a great combo for Volk.

LW is too stacked right now to be handing title shots to other champs, you have guys like Poirier, Chandler, Gaethje, Charles, Arman, Fiziev, Islam, Beneil, Gillespie, Riddell, etc. Most haven't faced each other. It would be fun to see Volk take on Conor at LW though, he would decimate him.

Last edited:
Does Charles Oliveira get to ref..?

Volk has only beaten 2 of the current top 10 FWs. Let me state another fact: he has only faced 2 of the current FWs in htre UFC's top 10. The fact that a LW championship Lineage has not been sorted out since Khabib vacated adds to the fact that this is a stupid proposal. Volk has 2 defences, Charles won a vacant title, both have a full slate of contenders to deal with. Until a champion has wins over 6 or more in the top 10 and 5 title defences there should be a ban on even proposing champ vs champ fights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back