Volkanovski stock up or down?

He did won this one...stock went up for sure, the guy still has no charisma and will be forgotten again in a week until he gets someone (hopefully new) lined up, i would watch Max vs Volk 3, but im not really asking for that and he still has to and most likely will beat Yair first to get to that fight.

A tough as nails, dominant champ with a winning mentality? Or a good striker with holes in his ground game that is susceptible to submissions?
LMAO how TF could his stock possibly have gone down after that fight?

- He added a successful title defense to his resume against a very tough opponent.
- Unlike the second Holloway fight which was somewhat debatable he clearly won the fight this time around.
- He put on probably the most entertaining fight of his career
- he got caught in some submissions by a legit dangerous submission artist but showed his toughness and did. Not. Tap.

I say this as someone who is not a Volkanovski fan and did not particularly enjoy his rematch with Holloway.

Seriously I want what OP is smoking.

He won at least 4 rounds, and escaped a couple very dangerous sub attempts from a guy known to pull crazy subs out of his ass. How could his stock not go up?

It's sky high after that fight. He's the most well rounded champion we've ever had at 145.

Up definitely. He was dominant most of the fight and on the few occasions where he was in trouble he showed a lot of grit and toughness.

went up a little. i wasn't expecting anything different from ortega since the max fight though. block punches with your face then go for hail mary sub.

looking good against mid-tier guys at FW doesn't prepare you for volk and holloway. look how bad kattar got embarrassed.

It can't go anywhere but up. He faced the best submission artist in the division, took the fight to where Ortega is at his best, got caught in multiple submission attempts, and beat the brakes off of him. I have a feeling we won't see any more posts about Ortega posing a threat to Khabib.

How in the fuck can you watch that fight and think

“Man, that guy isn’t looking so good”

Fuck this place is retarded i swear.

Probably his stock got a little bit down, as it was clear that he's not unbeatable. He's top 10 in his division though.

LOL! What fighter's cachet is based on the premise that he's unbeatable? There is no such thing. A few people have dominated their weight classes for extended periods of time, and that's as good as it gets. Anyone who fights enough loses eventually.

A tough as nails, dominant champ with a winning mentality? Or a good striker with holes in his ground game that is susceptible to submissions?

Susceptible to submissions? Far out, Volk somehow escaped 2 submissions that should have been a lock for Ortega, a submission master.

As Ortega said after the fight, Volk is a tough little bastard.

Incredible heart shown by both. Incredible composure shown by Volk. His stock only went up

Stock up bro, for a few reasons.

1) He put on a show. There has been some criticism of some of his recent belt defences that he's just a boring point fighter. He still fought very smart (which is a pleasure itself but not what every fan is after) but also used balls to the wall aggression every time he got a sniff of a finish. And some would argue being picked up by your corner illegally robbed him of a finish (you could see Herb indecisive). So an absolute war fight raises his stock (for fans with short memories or missed his earlier fights).

2) His cardio becomes a mental weapon + physical weapon against people now. It was always impressive but coming out of not one, but two! extended purple faced chokes & just immediately upping your aggression & output, no recovery needed. That will get some attention.

3) He had been a little but under-rated perhaps previously. But two escapes like that start to build a little bit of aura- well what he did after the escapes builds it that is. People are calling him a savage & bmf now. That probably wasn't happening before.

4) He's started to loosen up a little bit and be more open and assertive with the media side. He was a pretty shy character naturally but he's realising the importance of it and he's growing in confidence there. If you watch his old JRE episode it takes him 20 minutes to warm up a bit but his post fight presser fir this one was entertaining from the get go. And he did it in his own style, with mad respect for Ortega and a chill attitude after, not by putting on an act like some have to.

So yes, grapplers will look at him and think they have an avenue there- it's smarter for a grappler than trying to outstrike him. But he's shown good enough defence & counter that he won't exactly fear that himself. He's no fish.

Way way up.

I knew the dude was strong mentally but that 3rd round showed me he's on another level of mental toughness that few have in them.

How could it be down?!!?!?!

Back