Volkanovski RL base

WildBoyDan

We are here for a good time not a long time.
@Green
Reaction score
Volkanovski used to weigh 216lbs and compete as a hooker in rugby league. He is used to dealing with a lot bigger guys than he is dealing with in the ufc.
I've played rugby league myself for a long time.
its a tough sport and to play and in the position he did is one of the toughest positions to play. It would be the equivalent of playing a defensive position in the NFL but these FW must seem small and weak to what he is used to. Thats why he could shrug the submissions Against ortega.

He wasn't even at A level in rugby league playing in a minor league in Australia.

I think rugby league background is a good base for mma (tackles) takedowns, wrestling etc are all basically part of the sport plus 80 mins of none stop cardio.

giphy.gif

Is this your lead in to "He's a REAL athlete" shtick

I think what we are learning is, the skills NHB fighting requires can come from anywhere. Or another way, it’s more about the individual than we might have thought 30 years ago.

Usually it’s a TMA (including wrestling). Sometimes it’s something completely different.

Gane played soccer and then tried MT in his 20s. That says more about Gane than it does about soccer.

As an athletic base for MMA, it's absolutely not a joke. He has a better athletic base than most guys. That mixture of elite cardio and explosive power comes from years of conditioning in rugby.
I bet you can't wait for james haskell's debut then haha

Volkanovski used to weigh 216lbs and compete as a hooker in rugby league. He is used to dealing with a lot bigger guys than he is dealing with in the ufc.
I've played rugby league myself for a long time.
its a tough sport and to play and in the position he did is one of the toughest positions to play. It would be the equivalent of playing a defensive position in the NFL but these FW must seem small and weak to what he is used to. Thats why he could shrug the submissions Against ortega.

He wasn't even at A level in rugby league playing in a minor league in Australia.

I think rugby league background is a good base for mma (tackles) takedowns, wrestling etc are all basically part of the sport plus 80 mins of none stop cardio.

A good base would be martial arts not rugby. Volk is a strong durable fighter with alot of heart. That what makes him the champ

So you think a person with no athletic backround has a better athletic base for MMA than a guy that played rugby at a reasonably high level for years? You don't realize how importatant physical conditioning is in MMA?
Reductionism and strawmaning at it's finest.

But absolutely, a person who plays football or crossfit would also have a better 'base' than a person who had participated in no sports/athletic outlets. No one is disagreeing with that haha

he is 5'5 and 216lbs. how can he carry that much weight?

he is 5'5 and 216lbs. how can he carry that much weight?
Insanely big boned.
Greater than average bone circumference, wide shoulders and a big ribcage lead to his body having a high amount of natural mass for his height.

Reductionism and strawmaning at it's finest.

But absolutely, a person who plays football or crossfit would also have a better 'base' than a person who had participated in no sports/athletic outlets. No one is disagreeing with that haha

You said it's a joke as a base for MMA, but it's not, because the athletic base it gives a guy is a big advantage. Did I misunderstand your argument?

A good base would be martial arts not rugby. Volk is a strong durable fighter with alot of heart. That what makes him the champ

We just saw a rugby base V martial arts base as ortega is as much of a martial arts base as you can get.

I think Holloway is the best current FW and would beat volkanovski if they fought again.

I think if rugby guys transitioned to MMA they would have some success as a lot of the attributes needed are similar as volkanovski is showing. I personally played rugby from being 5 years old. Take downs, wrestling take down defence and cardio, footwork, balance and explosive movements etc transition very well from rugby to MMA.

We just saw a rugby base V martial arts base as ortega is as much of a martial arts base as you can get.

I think Holloway is the best current FW and would beat volkanovski if they fought again.

I think if rugby guys transitioned to MMA they would have some success as a lot of the attributes needed are similar as volkanovski is showing. I personally played rugby from being 5 years old. Take downs, wrestling take down defence and cardio, footwork, balance and explosive movements etc transition very well from rugby to MMA.

Of course it can help but no way I would recommend rugby over the top three martial arts . Wrestling, bjj, boxing.

Any professional athlete in the NFL , basketball , rugby would have a huge athletic advantage to build on. It still doesn't mean that they'll make it as an mma fighter because being a fighter at heart is rare.

Of course it can help but no way I would recommend rugby over the top three martial arts . Wrestling, bjj, boxing.

Any professional athlete in the NFL , basketball , rugby would have a huge athletic advantage to build on. It still doesn't mean that they'll make it as an mma fighter because being a fighter at heart is rare.

If you look at the hooker position in rugby league. Being a fighter at heart is part of the position. I would say it would be rare not to be a fighter at heart playing there.

Hookers are normally smaller but stocky men who have to mix it up with the bigger forwards. It is a tough position to play. So I think if you have played that position specifically then get to cut weight to fight guys your own size and are used to competi g with guys twice the size it is a great advantage.

Every person I have come across In life who has played that position is normally ridiculously tough for a smaller guy.

Its just an observation, and with most of UFC fan base being from the USA and being unfamiliar with the sport something I think that is worth mentioning.

Rugby definitely helps his cardio/conditioning and toughness.

Those guys have to display those traits more than American football players do

If you look at the hooker position in rugby league. Being a fighter at heart is part of the position. I would say it would be rare not to be a fighter at heart playing there.

Hookers are normally smaller but stocky men who have to mix it up with the bigger forwards. It is a tough position to play. So I think if you have played that position specifically then get to cut weight to fight guys your own size and are used to competi g with guys twice the size it is a great advantage.

Every person I have come across In life who has played that position is normally ridiculously tough for a smaller guy.

Its just an observation, and with most of UFC fan base being from the USA and being unfamiliar with the sport something I think that is worth mentioning.

For sure. I don't think anyone is doubting how tough rugby players are . I would rather train a fighter who played rugby than soccer lol.

He’s a freak of nature… look at how big his head is and how long his arms are

he has a longer reach than both max and Ortega despite being clearly shorter

perfect genes for fighting

Back