Volkanovski and Ortega would’ve beat prime Aldo

I don’t like Ortega’s chances against prime Aldo

This is some serious cope.

Aldo was absolutely in his prime when he fought Max the first time, as shown when he had a career best win in his rematch against a prime FW Frankie Edgar right before (outclassing Edgar even worse than the first time).

Pretending he wasn't "anywhere near his prime" is a laughable statement not grounded in the reality of his actual performances.

Nah, bro. Aldo's prime was way earlier than that. His real prime was back slightly before even the first Edgar or Chad fight. You gotta remember Aldo had a lot of fights early. He peaked and started falling off a lot younger than most do.

What would be laughable is thinking that the Aldo that was going 5 rounds no problem with Faber, Hominick, and Florian is the same as the one that was slowing right down after a round in both fights against Max almost 5 years later. That literally isn't grounded in the reality of his actual performances.

Volk has a chance, but I think prime Aldo still wins.

Prime Aldo would take years off of Ortega’s life.

Nah, bro. Aldo's prime was way earlier than that. His real prime was back slightly before even the first Edgar or Chad fight. You gotta remember Aldo had a lot of fights early. He peaked and started falling off a lot younger than most do.

What? Aldo did better in his second Frankie fight than the first one, and that was a Frankie at the peak of his FW win streak and in top form.

"Having a lot of fights early" isn't an argument. He was very clearly a better fighter in the UFC than he was in the WEC in technique, while fighting better competition (including better versions of his WEC competition, like post-Ludwig Mendes), and with no comparative decline in his athleticism vs the best FWs (he was just as explosive and fast against them).

What would be laughable is thinking that the Aldo that was going 5 rounds no problem with Faber, Hominick, and Florian is the same as the one that was slowing right down after a round in both fights against Max almost 5 years later. That literally isn't grounded in the reality of his actual performances.

LOL at desctibing the Hominick fight as going "5 rounds no problem". Aldo could barely move in Round 5.

Aldo's highest pace before Max was 100 strikes landed over 5 rounds with Mendes where he exhausted himself, and he was averaging 50 to 70 total strikes landed in his 5 round decisions overall.

That's a snail's pace compared to how Max (and Volk) lays it on. Aldo tired out against him because he can't keep up with 40+ - 70+ strikes landing in a single round without gassing, and never could.

What? Aldo did better in his second Frankie fight than the first one, and that was a Frankie at the peak of his FW win streak and in top form.

What makes you say Frankie was in his peak for the second win? His win streak was great, but look at some of the wins there. Faber was 35 or something and on the decline. Cub had lost a step and was at the start of a big skid. BJ was tippy toes Penn that night and had lost his last two and would go on to lose his next 4. Chad was chinny at this point and on his way out.

"Having a lot of fights early" isn't an argument. He was very clearly a better fighter in the UFC than he was in the WEC in technique while fighting better competition (including better versions of his WEC competition, like post-Ludwig Mendes).

Of course having a lot of fights early is an argument. How isn't it? More camps and fights early is more wear and tear on the body. That's how these fighters decline and it's what determines their physical prime. Do you remember Jordan Mein? He's only 32, but was shot like 7 years ago because he'd had so many fights from a younger age than most fighters do.

And I'm not arguing that Aldo wasn't a more skilled fighter in his UFC days. I agree with you on that. I think he clearly was, but when he started to decline physically, you could see his reflexes and cardio diminish along with it.

LOL at desctibing the Hominick fight as going "5 rounds no problem". Aldo could barely move in Round 5.

He outlanded Hominick in every other round and was clearly up, or at least he thought he was. He took the safe route and coasted to a dec win instead of emptying his tank and potentially setting himself up to get finished late by a game and always fit Hominick.

Aldo's highest pace before Max was 100 strikes over 5 rounds with Mendes where he exhausted himself, and he was averaging 60 to 70 strikes in his 5 round decisions.

Uh, he landed over 130 strikes against both Faber and Hominick, which were before the Mendes fight.

Also, he landed more than 70 strikes in every single one of his 5 round decisions other than 66 against Florian. In three of those he landed over 120, so him only averaging 60-70 strikes in his 5 round decisions like you claim is literally impossible.

Ortega
<Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo>

What makes you say Frankie was in his peak for the second win? His win streak was great, but look at some of the wins there. Faber was 35 or something and on the decline. Cub had lost a step and was at the start of a big skid. BJ was tippy toes Penn that night and had lost his last two and would go on to lose his next 4. Chad was chinny at this point and on his way out.

Cub had not lost a step. He lost to a FW GOAT in Holloway after Frankie (no version of Cub beats a prime Max), and then went on to win 4 straight, including a career altering beating of Korean Superboy (Cub. He won 6 straight before Frankie. Come on.

Chad was in his prime; Frankie caught him right on the button with a perfect placed shot, and then Mendes got busted for PEDs.

After Aldo, Frankie dominated Stephens and DESTROYED Yair worse than anyone before or since.

Absolutely no one was under the impression Frankie wasn't in top form, to the point where fans were accusing Conor of ducking him.

Of course having a lot of fights early is an argument. How isn't it?

It's not an argument becauae everyone declines at different rates based on their own physiology, training methods, etc.

All that matters is how they perform in the cage, and whether there's an observabke decline there.

In Aldo's case, the Frankie fights clearly show he didn't.

He outlanded Hominick in every other round and was clearly up, or at least he thought he was. He took the safe route and coasted to a dec win instead of emptying his tank and potentially setting himself up to get finished late by a game and always fit Hominick.

Come on dude, this is intellectually dishonest.

Aldo completely gassed himself out fighting that way in rounds 1 - 4. Aldo didn't take the "safe route" by being immobile on the ground and getting the dog shit beat out of him to the point of losing the round 10 - 8 (back when that score was much more rare).

Uh, he landed over 130 strikes against both Faber and Hominick, which were before the Mendes fight.

I'm talking significant strikes, which take up the most energy.

If you want to do total strikes, then the stats for Max and Volk go up, too, and the massive gap between their pace remains.

Aldo has never in his entire career proved capable of fighting at Volk's or Max's pace, nor did he ever face opponents that could put it on him that way before them.

Whatever people are seeing that hypnotizes them to see Ortega thru Emperor's New Clothes lenses... I don't see it.

Ortega would have been eaten alive by prime Aldo. They couldn't have dragged him back to his stool. He would have been hobbled. If you think Volk's leg kicks were landing at will, what do you think Aldo would have done? He's got a better jab than Volk and he's faster.

Prime Aldo and Volk is a great fight. I think Aldo could out point him. Only issue would be cardio.
The Aldo that fought Faber was the best version of Aldo. Never tired out, chewed up Faber's leg, completely dominated Faber. Especially the way he mixed his kicks with his 1-2.

Oh I agree that the simplistic understanding of prime needs to change. You and I just don’t quite agree on what that means. I’ve thought about doing a big study on this, like making a spreadsheet and seeing what the general pattern is—the problem is that primes aren’t simple, and there are so many other factors that come into play.

Our comparison of Arlovski’s win streaks before the Fedor and Stipe fights are a good example. Fans have been calling on Arlovski to retire literally before you were even a fan of the sport, I think. People wanted him to retire in like 2010-2011.
A fighter can (and Arlovski did) change camps and alter his fighting style to his age and weaknesses, and with some favorable matchmaking, a fighter can do well. Kyle and Kraniotakes are nothing special, Schaub was one fight away from retiring, Browne was in the midst of a 2-6 stretch which ended in 4 losses and then retirement, etc.
That does not mean Arlovski was in his prime. In fact, he was years past it.
Fedor was likewise not in prime form in Strikeforce. He was just starting his 11th year as a pro (May 2000-May 2010 = 10 years; he fought Werdum in June ‘10) was accumulating injuries like crazy, and his grappling suffered. Was he completely and totally shot? Definitely not. But he was declining noticeably.

I can tell you that names on your list like Max, Whittaker, Glover, and Chandler are not fighters I consider still in their primes. They’re in varying degrees of decline (still fairly slight for Max, more noticeable for Chandler for example).
Happy New year, man! Hope you’ll have great one!

If you’ll analyse primes of modern post- USADA fighters, you’ll find the opposite of what you think of primes is true.

Ok, let’s talk Arlovski. You just dismissed all of his wins before fighting Stipe, with arguments like- “Schaub was one fight away from retiring, Browne was in the midst of a 2-6 stretch which ended in 4 losses”.
Well then, I could say Fedor beat Arlovski at the start of a 4 fight losing streak and fans were calling for Andrei to retire. Conclusion- Fedor didn’t beat prime Arlovski. Did I do this right? Lol
You see how this logic is flawed?

Fedor didn’t lose in SF because his grappling declined. He lost to Werdum, because of poor decision making. He lost to Silva, because he never faced a well rounded HW his size. He got dominated because he’s undersized for a HW. And he lost to Hendo, because he didn’t have the speed and agility advantage over him, like he had over most HW’s he fought. Fedor was incredibly nimble for a HW, because he wasn’t truly a HW. His speed and movement isn’t that special at LHW or MW.

Max and Chandler out of prime? Lol
Now you’re reaching for straws as you can’t really make a compelling counter argument.
What are the things that indicate a fighter’s decline? Usually it’s the deterioration of chin and loss of speed and reflexes. Where do you see it in Max and Chandler? Like when Max went full super Saiyan and started to talk to DC while slipping punches from one of the best boxer’s in the division? His chin is granite as well.
Or Chandler, who looks like a Greek god and one punch KOed Hooker like if he was an amateur? Or when exchanged punches for 15 minutes with possibly the hardest hitter at LW ever?
Max and Chandler are in their absolute primes physically.
And this further proves your biased look on primes. When a certain fighter doesn’t win a fight, he must be declining. It’s impossible that he could simply lose to a better fighter. Lol

Volkanovski is a competitive fight ….. Aldo pounds overrated Ortega …… don’t think I’ve seen a fighter get more title shots and praise that are undeserved …… Cub ….Little old Frankie and no trainers Zombie are his resume …… overrated as fuck

The Aldo that fought Faber was the best version of Aldo. Never tired out, chewed up Faber's leg, completely dominated Faber. Especially the way he mixed his kicks with his 1-2.
Faber also let Aldo dictate the pace the entire fight …..

Prime Aldo badly damages Volk\s legs. 50-45 Aldo

Ortega has zero chance.

Volkanovski would outpoint WEC Aldo and TKO broke, hungry Conor because he is extremely smart inside the cage. Ortega gets beaten up, don’t be silly.

Volk maybe, Ortega no fucking way. What has Ortega ever done to lead you to believe he would beat prime Aldo?

Cub had not lost a step. He lost to a FW GOAT in Holloway after Frankie (no version of Cub beats a prime Max), and then went on to win 4 straight, including a career altering beating of Korean Superboy (Cub. He won 6 straight before Frankie. Come on.

Chad was in his prime; Frankie caught him right on the button with a perfect placed shot, and then Mendes got busted for PEDs.

After Aldo, Frankie dominated Stephens and DESTROYED Yair worse than anyone before or since.

Absolutely no one was under the impression Frankie wasn't in top form, to the point where fans were accusing Conor of ducking him.

It's not an argument becauae everyone declines at different rates based on their own physiology, training methods, etc.

All that matters is how they perform in the cage, and whether there's an observabke decline there.

In Aldo's case, the Frankie fights clearly show he didn't.

Come on dude, this is intellectually dishonest.

Aldo completely gassed himself out fighting that way in rounds 1 - 4. Aldo didn't take the "safe route" by being immobile on the ground and getting the dog shit beat out of him to the point of losing the round 10 - 8 (back when that score was much more rare).

I'm talking significant strikes, which take up the most energy.

If you want to do total strikes, then the stats for Max and Volk go up, too, and the massive gap between their pace remains.

Aldo has never in his entire career proved capable of fighting at Volk's or Max's pace, nor did he ever face opponents that could put it on him that way before them.
Wow, great points! I agree to every word you wrote, good job!

Volk maybe, Ortega no fucking way. What has Ortega ever done to lead you to believe he would beat prime Aldo?
How about being the first one to KO Frankie, showing incredible skill subbing Cub, outclassing Korean Zombie? Or surviving 5 rounds with Volk and almost finishing him? Ortega has better cardio than Aldo and he’s extremely durable. He would most likely lose 2-3 rounds on the feet and then finish Aldo off in 4th or 5th round. Ortega is famous for late finishes, when his opponents start to fade. Aldo is famous for fading in championship rounds. So it’s a likely outcome if they ever fought.

Back