Volkan said he was out because of injury...

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
...and two weeks later he signs to fight Anthony Smith instead? What...?

That's interesting for sure. Could it be that the UFC wanted someone else for Gus then?

Then this fight would actually make sense. Maybe they'll have a LHW interim titlefight? I'm thinking of Rumble and the new deal he's talking about.

I don’t see an issue with him fighting so quickly after pulling out. He posted a photo of his broken nose, im sure he’s recovering from it now.

However, I am anticipating them pulling Volkan because of his issues crossing any border.

When Volkan pulled out no-one here said he was ducking Gus. When Gus announced he is injured everyone claimed he was ducking some journeyman who got finished by Thiago Santos a few months ago.

I don’t see an issue with him fighting so quickly after pulling out. He posted a photo of his broken nose, im sure he’s recovering from it now.

However, I am anticipating them pulling Volkan because of his issues crossing any border.
Why would he have issues crossing a border?

Nothing strange about that.
Broken nose. Can't fight in a few days. But can fight 3 months later.

When you get a light injury like that with a predictable healing time, it seems natural that you'd want to book a new date as soon as possible..

Last edited:
Why would he have issues crossing a border?

He is in trouble for kicking some guys ass in a bar fight.

I wonder how much tequila you need to drink before thinking “I can take this guy” and start swinging against a light heavyweight UFC-fighter...

I wonder how much tequila you need to drink before thinking “I can take this guy” and start swinging against a light heavyweight UFC-fighter...

None.

As a Sherdogger I'm lethal without booze.

must have been a fellow sherbro about to lay down the law

Nothing strange about that.
He got a broken nose so he could not fight that week, booked a new fight 3 months later.

When you get a light injury like that with a predictable healing time, it seems natural that you'd want to book a new date as soon as possible that you think you'd be healed up and ready.
Well, I understand this of course. It's just that I thought he really wanted the shot vs Gus.

And at the same time Rumble tweeted about a new deal, so who knows?

It's his issues because he's got some skeletons in his closet

Let's call a spade a spade here

That's interesting for sure. Could it be that the UFC wanted someone else for Gus then?

Then this fight would actually make sense. Maybe they'll have a LHW interim titlefight? I'm thinking of Rumble and the new deal he's talking about.
It's his issues because he's got some skeletons in his closet

Let's call a spade a spade here

I don't think he's faking.

It's just that I thought he really wanted the shot vs Gus.
Ah, yes. Gus vs Volkan was the perfect match up for both guys, everyone else in the division would be a step down for them. Big shame they couldn't book it again.

My guess is simply that it's got to do with Gus' injury.
Maybe it's unclear of Gus would be ready within 3 months. Maybe he was trying to push through his camp despite some injury, and as soon as the fight was cancelled he figured he might as well fix it. with surgery or something.

The charges were dropped.

But agreed, that is some terrible decision making.

Well, I understand this of course. It's just that I thought he really wanted the shot vs Gus.

And at the same time Rumble tweeted about a new deal, so who knows?

Rumble won’t make 205 without cutting a limb.

The charges were dropped.

But agreed, that is some terrible decision making.
Really, must’ve missed that. Can’t remember but I think he has some old sentences as well for assault.

It's almost like injuries can heal. What a conspiracy
<TheWire1>

I think the UFC definitely has a plan for Gus, but I don't think it's Rumble. at this point it looks like Rumble would have to cut quite a bit of weight to get back to 205. maybe they anticipate a Jones comeback to fight Gus for the vacant title or DC gave into fighting Gus later this year

Guys heal up in record time when they get the fight they want.

Back