Volk really said "F*** YOUR BJJ"

forget his BJJ, what happened to the "Ortega 2.0! his striking has improved by MILES"

Volk kept saying “if I can do it, anyone can”.
Not really buddy. Dude is a fuckin freak.

I couldn’t believe Volk was hanging out in Ortega’s guard and smashed him there.

He knew Ortega was spent going for those subs. Volk took a gamble, but it paid off. I'm shocked Ortega threw more attempts after the first too, that shows a heck of a commitment to the submission game... Ortega really believed at the highest level he's gonna catch a guy on top and he almost did... Volk is nasty, but Ortega deserves his props too!

He knew Ortega was spent going for those subs. Volk took a gamble, but it paid off. I'm shocked Ortega threw more attempts after the first too, that shows a heck of a commitment to the submission game... Ortega really believed at the highest level he's gonna catch a guy on top and he almost did... Volk is nasty, but Ortega deserves his props too!
Such a beautiful fight

Being bald probably helped him slip out of those chokes tbh, if he didn’t shave his head it may have been fully sunk in.
That being said, we don’t see enough triangles/armbars/guillotines these days, everyone has become savvy with defense and those are the obvious go to’s when someone’s on top of you throwing hands. Maybe a gogoplata would have worked, but yeah those chokes should have got him.

Shit I’ve been in BJJ practice and been stuck in a triangle that was blood choking me, I could still kind of barely breathe so I didn’t tap and eventually I escaped but after he let go, I sat down and the whole world went black and everything around me sounded all WUB WUB WUB and I nearly passed out, took like a 10 minute break before going back on the mats. I’ve been choked out before and actually barely remembered it, but the time I almost got choked out and nearly passed out AFTER I got out, I remember that one.
EDIT: Point is, Volk possibly could have passed out after being in both chokes for so long, he’s lucky he didn’t because when that happened to me I couldn’t barely see or hear

Loved it when he said that lol. Always good to see BJJ nuthuggers get a good old fashioned G&P smashing

Loved it when he said that lol. Always good to see BJJ nuthuggers get a good old fashioned G&P smashing
Yeah but BJJ is literally set up by having your hands near an opponents head in guard, for arm bars it’s almost required.
BJJ needs to start actively having GNP in competition or we’ll have a false sense of security being on our backs on the street.

Thats the danger of jiu jitsu now, sub's are so rare and trying for those sub attempts nowadays its a way bigger risk, especially against guys like Khabib and Volkanovski, power grapplers, not flow grapplers. They don't look for sub's, they look for lockdown control, holding you there, and beating you so bad that you can't get back up, and if you do, same things going to happen in the next round.

Yeah but BJJ is literally set up by having your hands near an opponents head in guard, for arm bars it’s almost required.
BJJ needs to start actively having GNP in competition or we’ll have a false sense of security being on our backs on the street.

Honestly the only people who should train BJJ for the "street" are midgets and women. Anyone else should just train boxing or Muay Thai. BJJ is a good sport if you enjoy that sort of thing and I admit it teaches discipline and it's like a game of chess. In real life a wrestler or boxer will just wreck them though.

I hope we get more former rugby players making the transition to MMA. One of the toughest sports to be in besides MMA.

I watched this with a casual, and they clinched a few times and I was getting nervous, someone asked why and very quickly Ortega attempted two super super slick submissions and the casual almost lost their mind

At the end of Round 3 as Volk had Brian pinned against the cage and was doing his damndest to pound him through the canvas, all I could do was picture him angrily yelling "YOU TRY AND CHOKE ME, MOTHERFUCKER?!" in between punches/elbows.

The guillotine looked deep, prob woulda tapped most FWs with that exact one.

Honestly the only people who should train BJJ for the "street" are midgets and women. Anyone else should just train boxing or Muay Thai. BJJ is a good sport if you enjoy that sort of thing and I admit it teaches discipline and it's like a game of chess. In real life a wrestler or boxer will just wreck them though.

naw dude most grapplers cross train these days so even wrestlers learn BJJ basics and how to not get triangled but obviously the game has changed in the last 20 years, bjj doesn’t seem as important as it once did, but a BJJ guy is probably going to choke a striker if they go to the ground, the intricacies of bjj are just so deep, no regular dude is going to know what is happening to them. But yeah boxing gives great reflexes and Muay Thai turns you into a baseball bat. My issue with BJJ has and will always be the Gi. Without the gi it’s wrestling with submissions but with it just holds people back to learn without it.

Now that Habib is retired, Volkanovski has taken the spot of the most dominant champ in the ufc.

Back