Volk is kinda lucky

Oiler

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
His sub defense consists of supernatural resistance to subs that would finish a mere mortal

If Ortega got on the ground in first few mins we would have a new champ

Less sweat, more power left to crank

Volk won, he is better, but there is a hole in his game.

Just shows that with Ortega, he only needs 1 moment of opportunity to sink in a sub and end your night, even if you're kicking his ass.

Unfortunately for Ortega this time, he had the sub sunk in and Volk just refused to tap and found a way out. I thought for sure he was done in that mounted guillotine. One of the most impressive sub escapes i've seen.

His sub defense consists of supernatural resistance to subs that would finish a mere mortal

If Ortega had better takedowns and Volk had worse takedown defense...

If Ortega had better cardio and Volk had worse cardio...

Your what-if logic has nothing to do with luck or Volk having holes in his game.

Hes not lucky. Alex trains with Craig Jones who is a very high level grappler. Apparently he’s pretty good on the ground too and we saw that proved last night.

Alot of good fighters wouldn’t have gotten out of a dangerous Ortega sub.

If Ortega had better takedowns and Volk had worse takedown defense...

If Ortega had better cardio and Volk had worse cardio...

Your what-if logic has nothing to do with luck or Volk having holes in his game.

This isnt a skill based what if...

Its a "you shoulda done it earlier" what if

Different animal

And yes, he has a hole in his game and he will get subbed if he doesnt fix. This is pretty obvious.

Hes not lucky. Alex trains with Craig Jones who is a very high level grappler. Apparently he’s pretty good on the ground too and we saw that proved last night.

Alot of good fighters wouldn’t have gotten out of a dangerous Ortega sub.
I would think he trained a lot of sub defense leading up to this fight.

I don’t think it’s a hole in his game I think it’s a proven strength. One of his best assets is his G&P and despite Ortega being arguably the biggest submission threat in the division he handled it gracefully and dominantly.

If Ortega can’t submit him how is anyone else supposed to?

This isnt a skill based what if...

Its a "you shoulda done it earlier" what if

Different animal

And yes, he has a hole in his game and he will get subbed if he doesnt fix. This is pretty obvious.
I don't see anyone subbing him at 145 if Ortega couldn't get the job done.

LOL what?

Decent troll job.

If anyone was lucky ortega was lucky that he even had an opportunity at the guillotine off the slip. Don't get me wrong he pounced on it quick as shit and deserves credit for that. But to say that Volk has a hole in his game, that he would have been subbed if ortega took it to the ground early? That's just a ridiculous take.

There's always some 'luck' involved with combat sports, but it gets mitigated with genes, hard work, and skills. They all played a part

Back