Volk is a natural on the mic

He's a natural in the cage that's all I give s fuck about

Volk is now in my top 3 favourite fighters, he can be a bit corny on the mic at times, but he's unashamedly himself, and an honourable dude.. better than all these guys wearing masks, trying to put on a persona..

He doesn't seem to resonate with the mainstream super well though..

Ortega had way more views / traffic in the lead up to the fight, despite having the personality of a cardboard box. I guess it's because he's a pretty boy mexican from L.A. with a pretty, tattooed, marketable girlfriend to boot.. type of thing that gets views on IG so makes sense.
That's not really why Ortega is popular, his relationship is new so it isn't a big factor to his marketability. He's similar to Diaz and Masvidal but an LA/California version. He pulls the street culture fan base the same as they do. But since he's from LA he has a bit more of the LA swag compared to Diaz bros. Masvidal has the Florida swag that's why he's always going for the Scarface look/swag. Oretega uses the LA cholo look. Pretty boys are also more marketable, but also brings them a lot of hate in boxing or mma.

Dude did a great post fight interview, never much payed attention to him talk before but seems he is just as sharp with the words as he is with his fighting skills, a natural on the mic, none of it seems forced or fabricated. He shoots straight down the middle and walks the walk too, dude's not shy either, confidence to the max.

I bet if he had a last name like McDonald or Johnson, UFC would be promoting him much more.
Piss off with your racist bullshit. Edit, and he had had 4 beers. Simpleton.

Being on TUF is promotion in and of itself

Volk has always been likable, but he is pretty much a normal dude, he isn’t gonna become a massive star like Conor, Masvidal, Diaz, etc.

Some of you guys need to study up on your Pro Wrestling history so you can finally start understanding why some people become popular over others

I think he has potential to build a huge fan base organically like gsp did. They have a lot of similarities:

• A whole Country/region behind them
  • Honourable guys that put the work in.
  • Rival with other divisional great
  • Their fight style is both disliked and appreciated at the same time, which can stir up some controversy.
  • They call out roiders
  • They fucking keep on winning

I think it will just take some more time, but i think the oceanic countries are finally getting behind him and now a lot of the casuals are as well after that fight. Another defense or too and i can see him being a decent name in MMA.

Once gsp got past his rivalries with Hughes and Penn, and then once he got to headline in Montreal, he was huge.

Let Volk settle things with max and let him headline in australia-- Isuspect he will them become a pretty damn big name.

Last edited:
I think if Volk really doesn't like his opponent, he will show it. Ortega brought the best out of him. Both personality and fighting wise.

I have a feeling he doesn't like Yair very much so let's see what happens in the future

I agree and good on him, I really wish he was better known here, he deserves it. Whittaker is fairly well known I’d say but that’s it for Aussie fighters

They need to let Volk headline at home. Imagine him beating Max in a trilogy fight in Sydney. I think his popularity would swell big Time.

He's a fine champ for sure.

Dude did a great post fight interview, never much payed attention to him talk before but seems he is just as sharp with the words as he is with his fighting skills, a natural on the mic, none of it seems forced or fabricated. He shoots straight down the middle and walks the walk too, dude's not shy either, confidence to the max.

I bet if he had a last name like McDonald or Johnson, UFC would be promoting him much more.

cant they just call him Alexander Champion like they did for Johanna Juinhxxcvbggvek?

Nah, his name is unique and recognizable. He just needs to continue winning fights.

Being on TUF is promotion in and of itself

Volk has always been likable, but he is pretty much a normal dude, he isn’t gonna become a massive star like Conor, Masvidal, Diaz, etc.

Some of you guys need to study up on your Pro Wrestling history so you can finally start understanding why some people become popular over others

This.

Perfect post on this topic.

If Volk were a Russian who trained in Dagestan (as you could expect a guy with the name "Alexander Volkanovski" might) but performed the exact same way he would have ball danglers on this site coming out of the woodwork.

Loved his Conor line 'he must be on the piss'

Volk has always been charismatic but he's really starting to not give a fuck now, lol.

Bizarre take. Charismatic is probably the last adjective that should be used to describe Volk :D

He's an excellent fighter, but has the charisma of a bicycle pump. Hence his fanbase being pretty small, despite being one of the best fighters in the UFC.

In the run up to this recent fight, his "charisma" entailed him wondering around randomly flexing with a stupid grin on his face, saying "let's go!!!!!!" and "Aussie Aussie Aussie!".

<{clintugh}>

Nothing we didn't know, except he's a determined bastard. How the fuck did he survivr the guillotine and triangle?!

Hes comfortable on the mic, but personally I find him a tad intense.

I believe Volk is a classic Aussie Maso (Macedonian).
Seems to be your regular knockabout Aussie Wog.
Top man. Great fighter.

Loved his Conor line 'he must be on the piss'

FYI: That's a very common saying in the commonwealth there cuzzie. Probably said a million times across the world every weekend.

Back