Volk calls out UFC commentary team

In his interview with Helwani on the MMA hour he mentions that at the start of the fight, nothing he was doing was getting acknowledged, while Ortega was getting props for jabs that didn't land, and being complimented for how resilient he was..

He also says it was dubious the lengths that the reff and doctor went to keep Ortega in the fight.

The UFC commentary has been THAT bad the last few fights that I had to turn it off, so I didn't hear, but I'm not surprised at all, and believe him.. the amount of push they give some fighters.. it's so obvious it's patronising.. especially on the Till - Brunson card..made me sick

At..

His whining about this is like when Tom Brady complains about all the press lining up to fellate him because he feels that some of them don't blow him with GOAT-level enthusiasm.

Its not an unfair advantage by the unified rules as the other corner can do the exact same thing . Thats not how "unfair advantages" work bud . Its completely legal , your the one that called it "corner interference", i then linked you the definition , gave you examples of it happening before (we both know it happens all the time) and then you just move the goal posts

cool dude you can continue to believe that if you want but i showed the rules

He could continue after the RD break and did it did not take him "six times" to guess how many fingers herb was holding up . His eye was swollen that happens in fights and it was clear he was able to continue by him intelligently defending himself and fighting back for rds 4 and 5 .

Your the one doing mental gymnastics and i do not care if sherdoggers disagree with me , there is little to no controversy about the lack of stoppage in this fight outside of the sherdog forum bubble and parts of reddit .
So yeah most refs would agree with me most likely . Anyways goodbye and take care .

Pure mental gymnastics again - "if the other corner cheats you can cheat too, therefore it isn't cheating!" Hysterically amusing.

You gave me one example that wasn't the same (Faber being unable to stand/walk from leg-kicks, not a fighter motionless on the canvas after eating a 50-punch barrage) after saying "this stuff happens all the time" - if you don't understand what the phrase "all the time" means then I don't think I can trust your understanding of the unified rules.

Yes you did show me the rules - the rules that say you are wrong :cool:

He obviously couldn't continue after the RD break or they wouldn't have brought in Herb and the Doctor to buy time so he actually could continue. The fact you can't admit he wasn't answering the questions correctly just shows how blinded by some underlying motivation you won't share.

The fact that he could continue into rounds 4 and 5 after having his corner pick his limp body off the mat and then getting a bonus 90 second recovery isn't proof that you are right, it's just proof that the ref/UFC/athletic commission will do whatever is in their interest irregardless of the rules.

You make all these claims about strawmen/hyperbolic statements/gas-lighting clearly without understanding what those are either, so it's not shocking you don't fully understand the rules (not surprisingly not a lot of fans do). I never used a straw man argument, my statements were not hyperbolic [it was close to 6 times they asked him questions], and I don't even think you understand what gas-lighting is lol.

Most refs named Herb Dean would agree with you, I know that for sure ;)

Glad you enjoyed the fight Sherbro, be well.

I think a big part of it is often to legitimize the challenger. Volk is already legitimate as he is the champ and has already defended too, so they need to convince the audience that the challenger really poses a threat to him. Not that I think they couldn't have done a better job. I just don't really always see it as them being biased.
Listen mate you're gonna have to go, we can't have people talking sense and being reasonable around here.

He's right. Ortega was given minutes to recover and really did not even seem like he wanted to continue anyways. When a fighter is on the spot like that, when they are using words like "I think/I guess I can continue" they are looking to find a way out while saving face and not looking like a pussy. What are they supposed to say? Doc: do you want to continue? Fighter: no.

Exactly.

I agree on the commentary.
However I disagree with the doctor thing and Ortega being on the floor at end of round. I feel he was just gassed but still no reason to end the fight. I feel that the right decisions were made to keep the fight going. Only Ortegas team should have decided to throw the towel or not. Though if I'm not mistaken this is now forbidden in UFC. Which I think is insane. I think the towel should have been thrown for Ortega. By round 3, it was clear he had nothing more to offer. Round 4 and 5 were wasted giving Ortega brain damage and lowering his longevity. Boxing is much smarter in cases like this, and fights often ended prematurely to save the fighter. Usually by corner decision.

Volk has a huge persecution complex. He kept talking about 'underdog' and people counting him out always and shit when he has literally not been the underdog since he fought Aldo ... which was essentially even money at like +115 lmao. Dude needs to get over it, he seems like one of those people that just reads social media all day.

Volk should not be paying attention to this kind of stuff at all. Spend you time getting better and don't worry about shit you can't control.

They clearly wanted Ortega and Diaz to win, and their commentary reflected that until what was actually happening was undeniable

I had a good buzz going so I didn’t really notice it on first watch but when watching again I was like damn they are gargling Ortega tonight it. Reminded me a little of the Izzy Jan fight that one was next level atrocious even by UFC standards

I think a big part of it is often to legitimize the challenger. Volk is already legitimate as he is the champ and has already defended too, so they need to convince the audience that the challenger really poses a threat to him. Not that I think they couldn't have done a better job. I just don't really always see it as them being biased.

When trying to build up a contender/title challenger who has suffered a recent loss, announcers will heap praise upon the individual. This is akin to the "best he's ever looked" line of comments. Bias outside of that realm exists but what you allude to is an employed strategy.

In the pre-fight hype vids they can do and say whatever they want to push their agenda.

Once the fight is actually on the screen I expect them to actually tell me what is happening. As in doing a legit PBP. Don’t ignore what one fighter is doing to tell me the other is missing punches, that they are pretending are actually doing damage or somehow scoring.

It’s NOT their job to make the fight more exciting. They aren’t selling the fight anymore. They are supposed to be commentating on it. And it’s certainly shouldn’t be their job to push a bogus narrative. Just look at the Jan vs Izzy fight. Just going on about Jan “biting on feints”. Meanwhile Jan is outstriking Izzy.

I actually watched 266 with my gf who knows nothing about the sport. So, I wasn’t even paying attention to the commentary. I was actually telling her what was going on. Including talking about Ortega’s ability to get punished for most of the fight. Only to pull a sub out of his ass. Low, and behold about a minute later he gets the choke locked up. I also explained to her that while Diaz was landing more punches. They had no power on most of them, while Robbie was hitting much harder.

All I did was a proper PBP. I don’t see why supposed professionals can’t do the same thing.

Exactly this

Yeah, I agree. And I think it was the right tactic that they mainly focuessed on Ortega here. It showed that when Ortega did come really close to finishing him, he actually was the threat they made hi out to be. If they would just have said the whole time that Volk was leading the dance, it might have looked bad in some casual's eyes when Ortega had so much success with his grappling, because they might have already made up their minds that he was a can.

Indeed, dude needs some finishes to really get some more popularity and acknowledgement. I myself don't really mind it though. How does he do with Aussie press and the Aussie audience though? Is he popular?

Honestly I don't think he gets much love from the press here. No real articles in the leadup to it and just normal UFC coverage. Bobby knuckles gets far more press than him, and often appears as a guest on sports shows. When Bobby won the belt it felt like he appeared on everything. I don't actually remember seeing volk on anything outside UFC.

His in a hard spot because he has had fights with some of the greats but has only finished twice in 10 fights in the UFC. Some of his best wins were razor close and not highlight reels. I hope he doesn't move up, I don't think that will end well for him with his style.

DC is by far the most biased commentator in the game with Rogan a close 2nd.

The Colby VS Usman fight made it clear that DC hates Colby and lets his personal feelings influence how he calls a fight. Colby and Usman were literary beating the fuck out of each other yet if you just listened to the commentary you would have thought Usman was pitching a shut-out, kickboxing clinic. I cant stand DC nowadays. He is the worst.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back