Volk calls out UFC commentary team

It was fairly bad with Ortega. I thought it was even worse during the second Holloway fight.

Bisping was atrocious that night, and I don’t mind his commentating sometimes. Alex really started turning that fight in the third, but you’d never guess from the commentary.

In his interview with Helwani on the MMA hour he mentions that at the start of the fight, nothing he was doing was getting acknowledged, while Ortega was getting props for jabs that didn't land, and being complimented for how resilient he was..

He also says it was dubious the lengths that the reff and doctor went to keep Ortega in the fight.

The UFC commentary has been THAT bad the last few fights that I had to turn it off, so I didn't hear, but I'm not surprised at all, and believe him.. the amount of push they give some fighters.. it's so obvious it's patronising.. especially on the Till - Brunson card..made me sick

At..

It wasn't as bad as the biased commentary against him while he was fighting Max, but it did definitely feel like the commentary were looking at the fight through ortega tinted lenses. Volk is also right about the judges finding a way to keep ortega in the fight and giving him extra time to recover after already answering the doctor's questions incorrectly.

Yeah, I don't watch much boxing, but when I do I'm blown away by how good the commentary is. It's actually focused on the fight and what the fighters are doing.
It can also be extremely biased.

He really didn't say anything about the commentary team, even though Ariel tried his hardest to get it out of him.

He did have plenty to say about him technically TKOing Ortega though.

He did say the commentary wasn't focusing on the good things he was doing, and would focus on imaginary jabs that ortega was landing. He also said they went on and on about a headbutt, but not about the fact that he was already kicking ortega's ass. He even asked "what are you guys trying to do to me?"

He didn't say this all at once, so unless you watch the whole interview you wouldn't get it. Volk's coach has rambled on about biased commentary on Volk's fights, too, so much as saying he thinks DC and Max used to be in a relationship together or something.

It's a podcast with DC and Felder name searching themselves on Twitter to argue with people while they commentate . I agree the amount of unprofessionalism and bias is annoying as hell . Watching the Anthony Joshua card before too made it even more glaring , for all it's flaws DAZN and Showtime boxing commentary is just so much better .
Also I have no problem with the Volk vs Ortega fight going 5 rounds , in fact Ortega won RD 5 I don't think the end of the 3rd justified a stoppage .

I have no problem with them letting the fight continue either. What i have a problem with was them clearly buying extra time for a compromised ortega to recover between rounds. It's very likely that Volk would have finished ortega in round four if the ref and doctor weren't playing 20 questions for and extra minute and a half until ortega could get one right.

If ortega only got the one minute of rest time like he was supposed to......that 4th round, which was already a 10-8 in my book, could have been even worse.

I have no problem with them letting the fight continue either. What i have a problem with was them clearly buying extra time for a compromised ortega to recover between rounds. It's very likely that Volk would have finished ortega in round four if the ref and doctor weren't playing 20 questions for and extra minute and a half until ortega could get one right.

If ortega only got the one minute of rest time like he was supposed to......that 4th round, which was already a 10-8 in my book, could have been even worse.
Yeah the doctor stepping in was a little weird in the 4th although I don't think it was some discreet effort to give Ortega more time to recover . If I recall correctly Ortega didn't even really respond that well lol , again I don't think it needed to be stopped but I didn't really see the point in the doctor stepping in . That being said I'm pretty sure I scored RD 4 10-8 for Volk anyways and I don't think it had a huge impact on the fight .

For chemistry Rogan/DC/Anik is the best trio. If you want observation and detail, being on point, then Cruz/Gooden/Hardy would be it. Bisping and Cruz are too far apart personality wise to match. Maybe Cruz/DC/Gooden.

Alex didn't want to steal Bam Bams thunder with the shoes Gimmick lol. This guy is too nice.

I think a big part of it is often to legitimize the challenger. Volk is already legitimate as he is the champ and has already defended too, so they need to convince the audience that the challenger really poses a threat to him. Not that I think they couldn't have done a better job. I just don't really always see it as them being biased.
when they praise the challenger its to legitimize him, when they praise the champ its to show that they are that good...

i try to be objective about the ufc's objectivity, but its pretty clear they have ppl they want to win. theyve even admitted it in their lawsuit with matchmaking. there is no denying it. they had a latino in a heavily latino influenced area with other latinos on the card during latino heritege month/week whatever while having and showcasing a major latino advertiser in which the challenger took part in a commercial .. vs a champ from outside the us at the tail end of a pandemic, so itd be more difficult to train... id say they tried hard to get ortega to win here....but hey those are just the stats, ufc didnt play favorites lol. thats not even talking about the commentary or sketchy officiating

For chemistry Rogan/DC/Anik is the best trio. If you want observation and detail, being on point, then Cruz/Gooden/Hardy would be it. Bisping and Cruz are too far apart personality wise to match. Maybe Cruz/DC/Gooden.
cruz gets a lot of hate here, but hes actually one of the better commentators. for some of the dumb shit he says, he is levels beyond what other announcers say. he has a great way of explaining technical stuff. im sure guys like felder and cormier know the info, but cruz has a great way of expressing it

I think a big part of it is often to legitimize the challenger. Volk is already legitimate as he is the champ and has already defended too, so they need to convince the audience that the challenger really poses a threat to him. Not that I think they couldn't have done a better job. I just don't really always see it as them being biased.
I think this is the issue.

Their main job is to try to make the fight more exciting. I think leading up to the fight they probably think f ways they can make the two fighters seem closer in talent than they really are.

I don't think it's really favoring one over the other but they need to sell the fight.

I was kind of thinking along these lines. Their job after all is to make the fights exciting, and hyping up a challenger would align with this. Not my favorite, but I can see the sense of it.

I think this is the issue.

Their main job is to try to make the fight more exciting. I think leading up to the fight they probably think f ways they can make the two fighters seem closer in talent than they really are.

I don't think it's really favoring one over the other but they need to sell the fight.

Did they need to legitimate Adesanya against Jan? Give me a break...

cruz gets a lot of hate here, but hes actually one of the better commentators. for some of the dumb shit he says, he is levels beyond what other announcers say. he has a great way of explaining technical stuff. im sure guys like felder and cormier know the info, but cruz has a great way of expressing it

He is, and does his homework. Said he wonders why other commentators don't sit down and ask fighters about their upcoming fights. And that's part of why he is disliked. The constant comparing to others, everything being a competition. You pass out listening to it.

But it also makes him the best, the attention to detail. It's not only attention, but his knowledge and smarts to express it. Most fighters gather info about combat their whole career, but are just a vehicle for it. They don't actually learn it to be able to teach it, like Cruz has and does.

Exactly, Romero took a lot of sheet for the 15 seconds stoolgate, Brian had 2 minutes extra. Stopped it shoulda been.

Did they need to legitimate Adesanya against Jan? Give me a break...
I think that fight Adesanya was considered the favorite by a lot of people, he's the flashy fighter of the two. He had the more impressive resume at the time. So I think that influenced things.

u were okay with ortega lying on the ground after the ref came up to him and just stared at him for 5 seconds until his corner came up to him, picked him up, and plopped him onto the stool? if thats not a stoppage, i dont know what is.... theyre lucky his corner was legit in the same spot he was laying.

He really didn't say anything about the commentary team, even though Ariel tried his hardest to get it out of him.

He did have plenty to say about him technically TKOing Ortega though.

Ortega did well in the fifth, but based on body language alone, that fight should've been stopped at the end of the third or the beginning of the fourth.

Ortega wasn't responding to Herb or the doctor.

So,
shillin' since been shillin' since been shillin'? (movie reference)

Back