1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Volk calls out UFC commentary team

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by wildchild88, Sep 28, 2021.

1. wildchild88 Brown Belt

In his interview with Helwani on the MMA hour he mentions that at the start of the fight, nothing he was doing was getting acknowledged, while Ortega was getting props for jabs that didn't land, and being complimented for how resilient he was..

He also says it was dubious the lengths that the reff and doctor went to keep Ortega in the fight.

The UFC commentary has been THAT bad the last few fights that I had to turn it off, so I didn't hear, but I'm not surprised at all, and believe him.. the amount of push they give some fighters.. it's so obvious it's patronising.. especially on the Till - Brunson card..made me sick

At..

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  2. Iroh The Dragon of the West Platinum Member

I think a big part of it is often to legitimize the challenger. Volk is already legitimate as he is the champ and has already defended too, so they need to convince the audience that the challenger really poses a threat to him. Not that I think they couldn't have done a better job. I just don't really always see it as them being biased.

3. 13Seconds Gold Belt

He really didn't say anything about the commentary team, even though Ariel tried his hardest to get it out of him.

He did have plenty to say about him technically TKOing Ortega though.

4. Carrotman23 Of Rivia

It's a podcast with DC and Felder name searching themselves on Twitter to argue with people while they commentate . I agree the amount of unprofessionalism and bias is annoying as hell . Watching the Anthony Joshua card before too made it even more glaring , for all it's flaws DAZN and Showtime boxing commentary is just so much better .
    Also I have no problem with the Volk vs Ortega fight going 5 rounds , in fact Ortega won RD 5 I don't think the end of the 3rd justified a stoppage .

5. wildchild88 Brown Belt

He spoke twice about the commentary.. you're such a petulant little..

Volk was the one who raised it..

Huligani likes this.
  6. gluehuffer1776 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

good man. the commenting is horrendous. only cruz is decent

7. 13Seconds Gold Belt

He mentioned it once in a little sentence. He could have said more but didn’t. Stop it with the TMZ titles. You had more to say about the commentary in the OP than Volk.

You could of course pull up the video and time stamp.

8. Chael_Sonnen I'm the reason Waldo is hiding. Platinum Member

Yeah, I don't watch much boxing, but when I do I'm blown away by how good the commentary is. It's actually focused on the fight and what the fighters are doing.

9. sss133 Purple Belt

It’s funny. I like Felder/DC as fighters and seem like good people but can’t stand them as commentators.

DC is on the bottom of my list. I feel him and Anik are trying to mimic Rogan/Goldberg with catch phrases. I hate how he coaches and refs the fights. Saying things like the Valentina fight when she took her down “she shouldn’t do that” when 30 seconds later she gets a TKO and always saying it’s over

10. DoctorsStoppage Tell them it was a

11. Prick_Flair Orange Belt

Dominick "gas him out with his face" Cruz?

12. usernamee Silver Belt

I never watch boxing so it was a fresh of breath air to listen to the commentary of the Joshua fight

13. Judge Lance Ito Brown Belt

Felder is good.
    DC is average.
    Bisping is shit.

pick999 likes this.
  14. wildchild88 Brown Belt

Fixed goose

15. BillyPilgrim Purple Belt

I was kind of thinking along these lines. Their job after all is to make the fights exciting, and hyping up a challenger would align with this. Not my favorite, but I can see the sense of it.

Dreyga2000 and Iroh like this.
  16. Vegesus44 Black Belt

I didnt get that vibe listening from Wellies NZ, sounds like white belt Sherdoging.
    <mma4>

In saying that, pacfic nations aren't going to get what they deserve until much later on when they prove themselves. Ask me how I know lo.l

Blayt7hh likes this.
  17. Vanskyl White Belt

I unironically like my countries commentary ( used to hate them). They’re kinda dorky about it but dont annoy me as much as DC for some reason. I also pay 7 euros a month for all of the PPVs so maybe im not bothered because of it.

Mammothman and wildchild88 like this.
  18. Tito Tapped Peanut the Kidnapper

DC started really good in his career doing commentary but has drastically gone downhill fast. He's often too immature and will derail the fight with his need to put himself over either though long winded technical breakdowns or in just geeking himself out.

Boxingfan998, wannabetoughguy and HCS like this.
  19. Swarthy Immortal Sorcerer Lo Pan

I agrre rhey were biased as fuck

Bmurray and Foaley77 like this.
  20. GeneTunney7 Green Belt

He's right. Ortega was given minutes to recover and really did not even seem like he wanted to continue anyways. When a fighter is on the spot like that, when they are using words like "I think/I guess I can continue" they are looking to find a way out while saving face and not looking like a pussy. What are they supposed to say? Doc: 'do you want to continue? Fighter: no' ? Of course a fighter is not going to say that with cameras and microphones on them and a stadium full of drunk fans who paid money to see them fight. Not everyone can be like Nick Diaz and say "No mas" so easily.