Viva Wonderboy!

LamaIronFist

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I have new found respect for Wonderboy.

Not only did he do well recently but for a guy pretty darn green behind the ears MMA-wise, he did not too bad against The Immortal considering Brown blasted through guys way more seasoned than him shortly after.

Though he was basically a striker dumped in the pit against a well rounded aggressive dude, Wonderboy was pretty game. It was a good defeat for him as he got his nose rubbed pretty hard. An easy victory with a flashy kick might have gotten to his head.

Back then, nobody knew that The Immortal was in full resurrection mode. I am not sure Silva would have put him against Brown that fast if he had known that Brown was just about to become a force in the division.

I am sure that if Wonderboy keeps training hard for his ground game, we could see a very interesting fighter within a couple of years. He is not that old and he is a great athlete. He can strike, he can kick. As GSP and Gus showed, it's possible to learn some good wrestling moves later in life if you train your ass off with the right coaches.

Who do you see as potential opponents for Wonderboy's next fight?

Do you think a dude like Jordan Mein might be a bit too seasoned or do you think Wonderboy is ready for that? Despite his almost absent ground game, Wonderboy ended up doing better than Mein against Brown.

Those counter strikes were awesome!! Pin point punches

Wonderboy might be 30 but he his not as damaged as guys like Shogun and Wanderlei for example who are about that age. He looks like a kid still and his pretty athletic overall. Unless he gets blasted in his next few fights, he has some mileage left in the tank.

Na, he'd get killed by Scott "Lionheart" Blevins

Wonderboy, what is the secret of your power?

His next opponent should nickname himself "Young Nastyman"

Wonderboy, what is the secret of your power?

His next opponent should nickname himself "Young Nastyman"

lol, i just made a young nastyman comment in the other wonderboy thread

Good point about Brown. We didn't realize what a ridiculous tear he was on at the time he beat Thompson. He was a joke in most eyes and now he's fighting Carlos. And to be fair, Thompson put up one hell of a fight against him. Hindsight says the hype may be justified after all.

Wonderboy might be 30 but he his not as damaged as guys like Shogun and Wanderlei for example who are about that age. He looks like a kid still and his pretty athletic overall. Unless he gets blasted in his next few fights, he has some mileage left in the tank.

Lol Wand is 37...But yeah I get what you're saying, Shogun is like 40 in fighter years with all those injuries.

Wonderboy beat the shit out of Brown in the stand-up. Brown got a knockdown, but not much more, as opposed to Wonderboy who was connecting throughout, and according to his opponent ko'ed him twice.

In retrospect, in and of itself, that should warrant plenty of praise for Wonderboy, and provides him an excellent foundation to be a factor in the ww division in the future. Matt Brown has proven to be a tough nut to crack in the stand-up by others, including the revered Jordan Mein.

And Wonderboy's obviously been building off that foundation with the improved wrestling he's showing off. I'd love to see someone test his guard now, but he has the tools with his long legs, hard work, and creativity to become functional to even above average in that department. If he gets the overall wrestling, and guard, down, he can be a force. On the feet he's already Machida-esque.

Wonderboy walled and stalled Nah Shon Burrell. Anyone who has seen that fight should pretty much give up on Wonderboy as a serious prospect.

Wonderboy walled and stalled Nah Shon Burrell. Anyone who has seen that fight should pretty much give up on Wonderboy as a serious prospect.

Nah Shon's whole striking strategy was to pressure and keep Thompson out of kicking range, so whenever he did Wonderboy clinched him, smart counter.

Obviously he's pretty green in that area so no one's expecting a Couture-style beatdown from that position, so I don't get what point you're attempting to make.

He outstruck Nah Shon too, won the fight btw. Stuff happened there.

If he was Korean you'd fucking love him.

Back