Vitamin D - yay/nay?

Articles about studies. Big chance of uninformed opinion or cherry picking. Are you saying you only saw the title of the article but didn't read the article? That's very often a worse interpretation, often clickbait that leads to nothing like what the title describes. Still I'm curious and open minded, can you post a link?

Sure. I still have not read the article about the study, but with an internet search this came up. It is what I saw the other day.

Vitamin D does NOT protect against COVID infection, study finds

Toddler mistakes Prince Harry on magazine cover for her dad in viral TikTok

France tells G7 to hike minimum tax rate

upload_2021-6-6_17-10-50.png

Video: Vitamin D supplements likely useless against COVID-19, for most - study (Newshub)

Current Time 1:37
/
Duration 4:34
Loaded: 59.15%

Vitamin D supplements likely useless against COVID-19, for most - study

AAKBA3M.img
© Provided by Daily Mail MailOnline logo
Increasing vitamin D levels does not protect against susceptibility to COVID-19 or severity, a new study suggests.

Early in the pandemic, observational research suggested the vitamin prevented people from contracting the disease or dying from it.

But researchers from McGill University in Quebec, Canada, say that there was no difference in vitamin D levels between people who did and did not contract the virus.

What's more, among patients who did fall ill, patients with vitamin D levels were not less likely to have a severe bout of illness or be hospitalized with the disease.

AAKBn66.img
© Provided by Daily Mail (
Since the early days of the pandemic, researchers have been studying the effects of vitamin D, which plays a critical role in a healthy immune system, and is generally absorbed through the skin.

A February 2021 study from the University of Barcelona found that Vitamin D reduces coronavirus deaths by 60 percent

And a March 2021 study found that the 'sunshine vitamin' cuts the risk of contracting COVID-19 by seven percent.

But several health experts say there is still not enough evidence' that taking the immune-boosting nutrient can prevent or treat COVID-19.

'Most vitamin D studies are very difficult to interpret since they cannot adjust for the known risk factors for severe Covid-19 [like] older age [and] having chronic diseases, which are also predictors of low vitamin D,' said co-author Dr Guillaume Butler-Laporte, an infectious diseases and medical microbiology resident at McGil, in a statement.

'Therefore, the best way to answer the question of the effect of vitamin D would be through randomized trials, but these are complex and resource intensive, and take a long time during a pandemic.'

For the new study, published in PLOS Medicine, the team looked at genetic variants strongly associated with increased vitamin D levels.

Participants including 4,134 individuals who had been diagnosed with COVID-19, and 1,284,876 without COVID-19, from 11 countries.

Next, the researchers used a process known as Mendelian randomization, which looks at the variation in specific genes - in this case, linked to high vitamin D levels - and examines its effect on a disease - in this case, coronavirus.

The team wanted to see if having a genetic predisposition for higher vitamin D levels was linked to less severe outcomes in people who contracted the virus.

AAKBJ5j.img
© Provided by Daily Mail 180398279
AAKBJ5n.img
© Provided by Daily Mail
Researchers found no evidence linking high vitamin D levels and a lower risk of contracting COVID-19.

What's more, among the patients who tested positive, there was no association between more vitamin D and a lower likelihood of being hospitalized or becoming severely ill.

The authors did note that their study did not include individuals with vitamin D deficiency, so say it is still possible that 'truly deficient' patients may benefit from vitamin supplements.

'Vitamin D supplementation as a public health measure to improve outcomes is not supported by this study,' they wrote.

'Most importantly, our results suggest that investment in other therapeutic or preventative avenues should be prioritized for COVID-19 randomized clinical trials'.

Read more
https://www.linkedin.com/shareArtic...rce=http://a.msn.com/05/en-gb/AAKBBh0?ocid=sl
http://a.msn.com/05/en-gb/AAKBBh0?ocid=sf
https://twitter.com/share?url=http:...rer=http://a.msn.com/05/en-gb/AAKBBh0?ocid=st
https://web.whatsapp.com/send?text=http://a.msn.com/05/en-gb/AAKBBh0?ocid=sw

Privacy & Cookies

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/me...ection-study-finds/ar-AAKBBh0?ocid=uxbndlbing

Thanks.

Don't take this as personal attack, obviously you were only reporting what you saw, I made a couple of notes quoted from your post (made a mess of it lol)

It's misleading but not the worst case of the stuff I mentioned by a long shot . Basically the study was about naturally occurring levels, not supplements so it doesn't prove anything about supplementation working or not. That didn't stop them from making some statements that would lead one to believe it did though.

Interestingly and ironically enough the first study mentioned in the very same article appears to prove that supplement does have a positive effect although once again that is just an article, I didn't see where they posted any link to the study. I'll assume it has not even been peer reviewed or published yet.

Sure. I still have not read the article about the study, but with an internet search this came up. It is what I saw the other day.

Vitamin D does NOT protect against COVID infection, study finds * It does not say that

For the new study, published in PLOS Medicine, the team looked at genetic variants strongly associated with increased vitamin D levels. *genetics no supps

Increasing vitamin D levels does not protect against susceptibility to COVID-19 or severity, a new study suggests. * It does not say that

The team wanted to see if having a genetic predisposition for higher vitamin D levels was linked to less severe outcomes in people who contracted the virus. *genetics no supps

The authors did note that their study did not include individuals with vitamin D deficiency, so say it is still possible that 'truly deficient' patients may benefit from vitamin supplements. *seems to refute the whole slant of the article

Thanks.

Don't take this as personal attack, obviously you were only reporting what you saw, I made a couple of notes quoted from your post (made a mess of it lol)

It's misleading but not the worst case of the stuff I mentioned by a long shot . Basically the study was about naturally occurring levels, not supplements so it doesn't prove anything about supplementation working or not. That didn't stop them from making some statements that would lead one to believe it did though.

Interestingly and ironically enough the first study mentioned in the very same article appears to prove that supplement does have a positive effect although once again that is just an article, I didn't see where they posted any link to the study. I'll assume it has not even been peer reviewed or published yet.
"prove" is a strong word, but generally, i agree vitamin d supplementation for those who have low levels (aka, average population), may confer some small benefit, despite the results of the study cited. it was not an intervention study, but a study of correlation between levels and incidence of covid19. and even if by chance it has no benefit for infection/transmission of covid19, it is already well established that elevating low vitamin D levels is generally beneficial for health anyway. supplements are very low cost.

its just marketing to sell more milk or orange juice the sun gives vitamin d for free already xD

For vitamin d deficiency, I typically will do cholecalciferol 50,000 IU weekly for 8 weeks then cholecalciferol 1,000 to 2,000 IU daily. In practice, everyone treats vitamin d disorders a bit differently from what I have observed.

D3/K2 combo from Irwin Naturals ED for the past 3 years. I haven't even gotten a runny nose since I added it to my regimen.

I also eat very healthy and take other supplements as well but I attribute the D3/K2 to not getting colds/illnesses.

I've heard mixed things about it, it seems like it's a bit overhyped by people like Rogan. It seems like the evidence for treating asymptomatic people/people with no deficiency with Vit D supplementation is pretty inconclusive and not very strong at the time, more research is needed:

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M14-2450

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD007470.pub3/full?highlightAbstract=mortality|withdrawn|vitamin|mortal

I think the main risk is your supplement being contaminated, assuming you're not overdosing downing 10,000 IU a day or something. So, I'd make sure you're getting a reputable brand that''s cGMP certified. If you have no deficiency symptoms then it's unknown whether it will make any difference and it might be unnecessary, but normal amounts probably do no harm also.

If you really want to look into it, maybe do a blood test and check your levels. If the levels are OK, it's inconclusive whether there's much benefit in taking it, from what I've seen.

A lot of stuff is not certain. The probably with the pandemic is that people are trying to infer solutions to the best of their ability and some people in the public expect them to be perfect. It isn't like anyone has time to put together a 5 year study in 2 years.

A lot of stuff is not certain. The probably with the pandemic is that people are trying to infer solutions to the best of their ability and some people in the public expect them to be perfect. It isn't like anyone has time to put together a 5 year study in 2 years.

- I didn't mention the pandemic at all.
- What are you basing your inferences on if it isn't on some type of data or study? Intuition or what? Doesn't have to be a perfect study or have an unrealistic scope, but some sort of evidence beyond anecdote is necessary if claims are to be made.
- The evidence for vitamin D conferring some advantage in people with no deficiency seems to be weak, those reviews I posted were done 5+ years ago, that's what I was saying.

Last edited:
- I didn't mention the pandemic at all.
- What are you basing your inferences on if it isn't on some type of data or study? Intuition or what? Doesn't have to be a perfect study or have an unrealistic scope, but some sort of evidence beyond anecdote is necessary if claims are to be made.
- The evidence for vitamin D conferring some advantage in people with no deficiency seems to be weak, those reviews I posted were done 5+ years ago, that's what I was saying.
there is a fair amount of evidence that vitamin d supplementation is beneficial with regards to covid19.
as youve said, there is evidence that vitamin d supplementation in those with deficiencies in beneficial.
the part that you've missed is that about half of all people are vitamin d deficient, and the vast majority of them dont know it.
considering vitamin D has a fantastic safety profile, is extremely affordable, and has clearly demonstrated benefit, there is plenty of evidence to support the general population supplementing vitamin D, particularly in those who have not had their levels tested to be sufficient (which is a very small population.)

even before this pandemic, vitamin d already had been shown in multiple systematic reviews to be beneficial with regards to upper respiratory tract infections, despite vitamin C getting all the hype for being an "immune booster". whereas systematic reviews for vitamin C almost all show no benefit.

Vitamin D is one of the few supplementations thats actually worth it. If you don't get enough exposure to sunlight you probably will benefit from it. Also the darker your skin is the worse your vitamin d levels are going to be (the evolutionary reason white skin developed in nature was precisely for that, to better absorb ultraviolet radiation and synthesize higher levels of vitamin d).

Do your blood test and see where your levels are at. Vitamin d is one of the few things that are actually worth to spend some money.

In 2019 in went in for physical and get checked out for another injury (thanks BJJ).

I went to the in network provider, she ordered blood work, and I went to the correct lab
to have it drawn. Insurance covered everything except the Vitamin D test. (about $220).
I called and they said it is not covered unless you have certain conditions.

https://www.bcbs.com/news/press-releases/most-people-dont-need-vitamin-d-testing

I don't supplement at all as my diet is pretty solid. Very little trash food, plenty of whole REAL food but thinking should I use vitaman D maybe a few times a week over winter? Especially weekdays when you're stuck indoors during work hours.

What's the consensus, is it marketing which has blown this up or is it worth the effort?
Yes a good vitamin D supplement can help not only mood because of the seasonal depression some of us can get but also helps with hormone regulation and can help with digestion and brain function. It basically just makes everything work better.

Been an interesting read, thanks guys. It's coming up summer here so no need currently and winter was OK. I rarely get sick and my mood is fairly stable but still might try it once or twice a week next season.

The worst thing about vitamin D is how chalky those tiny tablets are. Those little shits choked me more than ones going down the wrong hole. They are potentally lethal!!

You’re supposed to swallow them. Not shove them up your ass.

I use the 50k iu weekly because my Vitamin D levels are pretty low. I don't want to deal with daily pill taking.

the vast majority of your vitamin d does not come from diet.

Vitamin D is crucial and we all need it. Try and get it from natural resources first. Get outside and go for a walk or a run. Supplementing with Vitamin D is such a crap shoot when buying over the counter supplements only because of transportation and heat etc. But if you can find a reputable source for vitamin D then always supplement with it. Do not expect it to cure anything as it is a "supplement" so in any scenario know that you are only supplementing your progress towards your goal you are not taking an elevator to the goal.

vitamin d is fairly thermally stable. in an oil medium heated to the boiling point of water for half an hour, there is no degredation of vitamin d. i would be very unconcerned about the concentration of vitamin d in commercial supplements being significantly lower than the claims.

its not really a crap shoot because unlike most medications or supplements, "oversupplementing" with vitamin d by taking massive boluses on a weekly/monthly basis is safe and efficacious, so even if there is some appreciable degredation, that is easily mitigated by simply taking more with practically no risk.

Back