Vitamin D - yay/nay?

STRYDG

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I don't supplement at all as my diet is pretty solid. Very little trash food, plenty of whole REAL food but thinking should I use vitaman D maybe a few times a week over winter? Especially weekdays when you're stuck indoors during work hours.

What's the consensus, is it marketing which has blown this up or is it worth the effort?

We basically live in really nice caves 24/7 these days. Outside of eating copious amounts of salmon, vit D requirements are hard to satisfy without adequate UV exposure. It's cheap, safe, and easy to take. If the rest of your diet is on point then you don't really have anything to lose.

I've heard mixed things about it, it seems like it's a bit overhyped by people like Rogan. It seems like the evidence for treating asymptomatic people/people with no deficiency with Vit D supplementation is pretty inconclusive and not very strong at the time, more research is needed:

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M14-2450

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD007470.pub3/full?highlightAbstract=mortality|withdrawn|vitamin|mortal

I think the main risk is your supplement being contaminated, assuming you're not overdosing downing 10,000 IU a day or something. So, I'd make sure you're getting a reputable brand that''s cGMP certified. If you have no deficiency symptoms then it's unknown whether it will make any difference and it might be unnecessary, but normal amounts probably do no harm also.

If you really want to look into it, maybe do a blood test and check your levels. If the levels are OK, it's inconclusive whether there's much benefit in taking it, from what I've seen.

Last edited:
I hear Jon Jones' vitamin D is contaminated with cocaine and picograms

The worst thing about vitamin D is how chalky those tiny tablets are. Those little shits choked me more than ones going down the wrong hole. They are potentally lethal!!

It's a great idea but it should be taken with K2 and magnesium. Apart from its many health benefits, Vitamin D is also shown to reduce the effects of COVID

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-d-and-vitamin-k#TOC_TITLE_HDR_3

Here's an article explaining more about the D3 and K2 correlation :)

yeah k2 you can get easily enough in a high quality cheese or if you can eat liver you can get a bunch there. Magnesium is real mineral water like gerolsteiner in 1 liter i believe you can get like 150mg of magnesium. A cheaper and nice option would be topical https://www.amazon.com/Pure-MAGNESIUM-OIL-Spray-Exceptional/dp/B00Q78C1EW/
I just don't like pills.

Thanks guys. That's was going to be my next thing to look into, is it better in combination with other things and when to take it/food etc.

I wasnt going to worry about blood too much as would only take it maybe once or twice a week during winter. And being in New Zealand we are fairly strict about additives and being tainted with other crap. Also wont go for a crazy dosage either!

vitamin D is very cheap. i purchased 250 5000 unit vitamin D3 supplements for less than 10$.

In modern society, many people do not get the amount of sunlight their genetics were adapted to.

In people with low vitamin D, there is a plethora of evidence for the benefits of oral vitamin D supplementation.

Many people have low vitamin D and do not know it.

Even those with significant amounts of sun exposure can have low vitamin D due to a variety of factors.

Vitamin D overdose/intoxication is extremely difficult, and negative effects of normal levels of vitamin D supplementation are practically non-existent. Some advocate the use of extreme levels of vitamin D supplementation (as compared to what one might normally receive with high sun exposure and food consumption), and have found very few/rare negative side effects from these extremely high doses.

There is medium-strong data suggesting vitamin D supplementation has benefits in preventing covid infection and/or severity of symptoms upon infection.

vitamin d is fat soluble so consumption with fat is good. Sometimes if i dont have time to get a meal in, I will drink some olive oil with it.

Last edited:
I've heard mixed things about it, it seems like it's a bit overhyped by people like Rogan. It seems like the evidence for treating asymptomatic people/people with no deficiency with Vit D supplementation is pretty inconclusive and not very strong at the time, more research is needed:

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M14-2450

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD007470.pub3/full?highlightAbstract=mortality|withdrawn|vitamin|mortal

I think the main risk is your supplement being contaminated, assuming you're not overdosing downing 10,000 IU a day or something. So, I'd make sure you're getting a reputable brand that''s cGMP certified. If you have no deficiency symptoms then it's unknown whether it will make any difference and it might be unnecessary, but normal amounts probably do no harm also.

If you really want to look into it, maybe do a blood test and check your levels. If the levels are OK, it's inconclusive whether there's much benefit in taking it, from what I've seen.

10k IU is actually quite low. You can safely take 10x+ for weeks.

I have averaged 8-12k IUs for many months as part of my basic daily vitamin stack.

10k IU is actually quite low. You can safely take 10x+ for weeks.

I have averaged 8-12k IUs for many months as part of my basic daily vitamin stack.
I dunno about 'quite low'. Unless one is deficient, or living in the dark, I've seen no evidence that 10k IU is useful. Probably won't cause hypercalcemia within a few months tho.

without knowing your current serum levels you could be above optimal.

Having read a number of articles on vitamin D3, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to take it if you do not have an opportunity to get outside into the sun. You'd want to take a safe amount keeping within ideal testing levels.

I personally stopped taking vitamin D a number of years ago. Instead I make it a point to get outside often. I moved to south Florida where getting sun exposure is easy most of the year, and additionally for the few months were the sun doesn't rise high into the sky I have a vitamin D light. I like it. It has kept me cold and flu free I believe for a number of years.

I dunno about 'quite low'. Unless one is deficient, or living in the dark, I've seen no evidence that 10k IU is useful. Probably won't cause hypercalcemia within a few months tho.

without knowing your current serum levels you could be above optimal.

After a low blood test my MD recommended 10k IU per WEEK.

Numbers were fine after that.

We need better data to support beneficial effects and safety of the mega doses many people throw around in the neutraceutical realm.

If you drink milk every once in a while, you dont need supplements.

I did not read the article but saw articles yesterday written about a study that found vitamin D supplements were not helpful against the COVID virus. I was afraid that would be the case. It is one of the reasons that i make it a point to get outdoors in the sun in the afternoon for a little exposure each day. Many other helpful substances are created outside of vitamin D with sun exposure that help prevent infections.

Edit

Wrong thread
I did have two different doctors tell me to boost my VIt D during the Covid spikes.

I did not read the article but saw articles yesterday written about a study that found vitamin D supplements were not helpful against the COVID virus. I was afraid that would be the case. It is one of the reasons that i make it a point to get outdoors in the sun in the afternoon for a little exposure each day. Many other helpful substances are created outside of vitamin D with sun exposure that help prevent infections.

Articles about studies. Big chance of uninformed opinion or cherry picking. Are you saying you only saw the title of the article but didn't read the article? That's very often a worse interpretation, often clickbait that leads to nothing like what the title describes. Still I'm curious and open minded, can you post a link?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back