Visiting Shaolin's in NYC

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Uchimala, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Uchimala

Uchimala White Belt

I'll be in NYC the first week on August and will be staying really close to Shaolin's school (8th Ave and 42nd). While this won't be a strictly "BJJ vacation," I'd like to train a few days while visiting. Anyone train at or visit Shaolin's recently? Is it a friendly place? How are the day classes? What level of students normally attend day and or night classes?

Any insight would be helpful.

2. teamcarvalho

teamcarvalho Green Belt

Never been to his school in NY but Shaolin is a nice guy and an awesome instructor.

3. DanimalJr

DanimalJr White Belt

I dropped in on this school last month it was awesome. I went to the lunchtime class which I was told is the least crowded. There were about ten guys there, good mix of all color belts, and Shaolin taught the class. The best part about it was after the class he personally gave everyone feedback on what he saw during their rolling. They even let me borrow a gi as I didn't have mine.

The one problem I had is they don't really recognize the idea of "dropping in." The class was free because it's free for a week or something. However, I kept asking about just paying on a per class basis because I was thinking about coming back in the future, but Shaolin told me that I would have to either pay for a month or buy a forty class package...

If that is a problem for you, you can head over to Marcelo Gracia's gym which is pretty close. I only went there for an open mat, but they actually have a drop in system where you pay around 30$ per class (I don't quite remember the price). You can also pay for a two week pass which is cool.

4. thesaadishsnake

thesaadishsnake Green Belt

I train at Shaolin's and I think it's a pretty good school. I'm not sure how dropping in/visiting works, but you should give them a call to find out.

I used to go to the evening classes, but lately I switched over to the morning classes. Both classes are fine, but I prefer the morning classes since there are a lot less people. In the evening you could have 20-30 students, and in the morning you'll have 6-10.

It's a pretty friendly environment and Shaolin is a great instructor. As for the students here's what I see in the morning a few white belts (myself included), a few blues, and one or two regular purple belts. In the evening class it's mostly whites/blues, and I remember a purple belt who regularly attended.

5. Uchimala

Uchimala White Belt

I'll definitely call ahead to tell them I'm coming. The class sizes are great, I'll probably come to the early morning class or the lunch classes. From the schedule it looks like the mornign and lunch classes are all gi, which means I'll have to lug my gi around and figure out how to get it washed while I'm there.

6. Daihlo

Daihlo Orange Belt

Dont know my NY geography too well (being a Brit) but does that mean Shaolin, Renzo and Garcia all teaching in NYC? Or are they a bit further apart than that!..?

7. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Yes, all in NYC and all fairly close. There is also an Alliance gym separate from Marcelo. And a ton of other places. Plus Renzo has a lot of affiliates in the areas run by some of his black belts (I train at one).

I've heard nothing but great things about Shaolin's school from regular students and drop-ins alike.

8. billdog

billdog Brown Belt

looking forward to seeing you in august friend!

9. Uchimala

Uchimala White Belt

Sounds good billdog. PM me your name and I'll see you there.

10. StevenCrowder

StevenCrowder wiener

Do you know of any affiliates on the East Side? I know there's a black belt under Renzo at Columbia. I live in Upper East and I've found literally NOTHING here except for a purple belt who teaches classes at "Premier" which is primarily a TaeKwanDo school.

11. bjjaz

bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

My girlfriend and I dropped in and it was awesome! Jen and Shaolin were really nice and the school was very welcoming and everyone was very helpful. They let us go for free so we bought a couple shirts as a way to say thanks. I would highly recommend it.

12. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

By "in the area" I meant the NY Metro area (NYC, NJ, Conn, Long Island). Renzo's affiliates are all outside of Manhattan.

13. lethalweapon

lethalweapon Blue Belt

Great teacher, class, students and location.

Call ahead and find out about their drop-in policy. Same if you were to visit any other school.

If a school doesn't offer drop-in's and you just show up with your gear, you put the instructor in an uncomfortable position for having to turn you away. It's just nice to give the school a heads up of when you'll be showing up, so they can better receive you.

Have fun training and enjoy NYC!

14. thesaadishsnake

thesaadishsnake Green Belt

I know on Monday/Wednesday/Friday morning, it's all Gi classes, but I believe on Tuesday/Thursday morning it's no-gi -- obviously call first. I also know they have a Gi washing service there. If they're okay with you dropping in for a class, ask about the gi washing service (which they'll charge you for) too.