Visiting Sacramento

Ergo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I'm traveling for work next week, does anyone have any suggestions for where I should train while I'm in Sacramento? What are the drop in rates, who has higher belts I can roll with, etc?

Thanks.

I was looking at going to Cassio Wernick's place, anyone know much about it? Are they friendly with outsiders?

Team Carnage? Tony Reveles is the man, but I don't think Carnage has anyone higher than a purple.

Cassio's is the way to go if you want a place with multiple black belts. I'm not sure what the drop in fee is, but they're always friendly.

Capitol City BJJ is run by Yemaso, one of Cassio's black belts and an Abu Dhabi qualifier.

You should also check out Urijah Faber's place in Midtown or Cia Paulista in Alkalai Flats. UF is an all-day drop in for $35 I think. Cia is $15 per class drop in, IIRC.

There's a Cesar Gracie affiliate, run by Wade Vierra who might be a brown belt by now. He teaches out of his TKD school, American Martial Arts Center in Orangevale.

Flavio Meier, an ATT black belt, teaches out of Superior Fighting Academy in West Sacramento.

Rodness Martial Arts in Davis has a Nova Uniao black belt as their chief instructor.

Cassio's will have the highest collection of upper belts.

Folsom MMA has a nogi class in the mornings and gi in the evenings, both taught be a leo vieira black belt. in the nogi class there are usually a handful of whites, 3 blues and a purple (along with the teacher), and the evening class has 3 blues, a few purples and a lot of whites on the verge of blues. The morning classes are long, sometimes 3 hours, where as the night classes are 1.5 hours.

$7 for 7 days, cannot beat that! the muay thai and mma classes are pretty good too. And Team Sacramento Judo has classes there Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Hey, I'm traveling for work next week, does anyone have any suggestions for where I should train while I'm in Sacramento? What are the drop in rates, who has higher belts I can roll with, etc?

Thanks.

I was looking at going to Cassio Wernick's place, anyone know much about it? Are they friendly with outsiders?

Cassio's is really cool. Lots of higher belts. If you're looking for a place to roll, I heard the mat space is crowded because class sizes are big. they have to roll in shifts (someone can correct me if im wrong).

Don't know much about Andre Glodzinski's students but Andre himself is a bad ass. Bruddhas on Folsom usually has few purples, browns, and sometimes multiple blackbelts (school is pretty small as well though).

Urijah's program rub by Fabio Santos is fairly new right? I don't know for sure but I'm guessing its a school of blues and whites (again someone can correct me).Charles Grcaie in Roseville has two blackbelts that roll, at least 4 purple belts, and a sea of blues. Also hit and miss though, sometimes there's barely anyone in there.

What rank are you?

Cassio's is really cool. Lots of higher belts. If you're looking for a place to roll, I heard the mat space is crowded because class sizes are big. they have to roll in shifts (someone can correct me if im wrong).

Don't know much about Andre Glodzinski's students but Andre himself is a bad ass. Bruddhas on Folsom usually has few purples, browns, and sometimes multiple blackbelts (school is pretty small as well though).

Urijah's program rub by Fabio Santos is fairly new right? I don't know for sure but I'm guessing its a school of blues and whites (again someone can correct me).Charles Grcaie in Roseville has two blackbelts that roll, at least 4 purple belts, and a sea of blues. Also hit and miss though, sometimes there's barely anyone in there.

What rank are you?

I'm a purple under Luis Togno in Charlotte. He suggested Cassio's place, and I'm leaning that way (I'll basically only have one night to roll, two at most) - but everyone in this thread has been really helpful. I wasn't trying to be beltist with the upper belt question, I just like to roll with upper-level guys when I'm on the road if I can.

Thanks for the quick and comprehensive responses!

If you are looking for upper belts to roll with, I would say Cassio, but their school is REALLY small, AND has a lot of students. The above poster was correct about rolling in shifts, because of how crowded it is. I havent heard anything lately about Marcos' gym Yemaso (cassio affiliate/black belt etc).

A followup question: does anyone know of a place I could train on Sunday? I'll be getting in at 3 pm, and have nothing else to do the rest of the day other than be annoyed by my fellow traveling coworkers. I could probably score the rental car to venture out into Sacramento (I'll be staying at the Mariott Residence Inn) but I would drive to get some training in.

I looked at all the local websites to see if anyone had anything on the schedule for Sunday, and no dice.

Pretty much everywhere is shut down on Sundays. Shoot, even caeser gracies is closed on Saturdays! Ild invite you to roll at my home gym but I'm still waiting on my MRI to see how bad my knee is lol.

Thanks anyway man, yeah - BJJ on Sundays is some kind of cardinal sin normally lol.

Hope your knee turns out to not be fucked up.

Hey bro, I'm from Bruddas. There's no mat fee for your first two classes. Feel free to come in. Classes are from 6-8 (sometimes 8:30) and we are open Saturdays + sort of open Sundays (one of the purple belts holds open mat at his shop and its not uncommon to have a black belt or two show up...otherwise mostly blues).

Our instructor is Mario Cerezo. Happy training.

Who should I contact about the open mat on Sunday? Is it at the normal gym? What time? God I sound like a desperate junkie.

Urijah's program rub by Fabio Santos is fairly new right? I don't know for sure but I'm guessing its a school of blues and whites (again someone can correct me).

well next week i'll be there

Cassio's place is big enough but if the class is really big then you may have to wait a round but you will be hard pressed to find a school with more different level guys.

Yemaso's has lots of blue, whites and a few purples but his instruction is some of the best I have ever seen. In terms of depth of knowledge and the ability to explain technique he there really aren't many guys better.

Andre's place is downtown and I hear a lot of good things about his school. His students always do well in local tourneys.

Andre's place is downtown and I hear a lot of good things about his school. His students always do well in local tourneys.

Andre is the man, a nice guy and a great instructor.

Back