Viral wrestling hair cutting incident

Our personal opinion is to follow the rules. Don't compete if you cannot follow the rules. That wrestler had a choice to be in compliance to compete or not compete. We had a recent incident where head covering or wrestling hair cap was not mentioned in a tournament's rule section so we did not pay attention in bringing it to the tournament especially when we did past tournaments without it. We worked with the head referee ahead to get an exception and during the actual match, the referee of the match stopped the match and raise a few points penalty (points for the opponent). We raised the issue with the head referee, but was declined since points has already been assigned. We just continue to compete in the match to focus on the pin to win the match. Beyond the many other life learning values of wrestling, one of the key value is about hard work and discipline which include discipline on the mat (i.e. follow the rules - Wrestling Hair Rule) and off the mat (i.e. diet and nutrient). Hoping that this incident is not being politicized to the point that it will impact the sport especially for the top regions like NJ, PA and Ohio.

I literally had to do the same thing and had my long hair cut with scissors randomly like this kid did my freshman year at a varsity meet where I normally wasn't on varsity at the time I can't remember why the normal varsity guy might have been sick or something as I wasn't truly the varsity guy until my sophomore year, and since they take it more seriously at the varsity level I may have slid by at freshman meets and duals but this ref said I had to cut my hair or forfeit or whatever so so I got my hair cut and went and got my ass kicked

This is wrestling, isn't not racist, and at the end of the day he could have forfeited the match and not wrestled but he is committed and wanted to wrestle more than he cared about his hair

The ref is probably racist though based on the evidence out there, but hair on your head and face is taken seriously at the highschool level no exceptions

Another detail conveniently left out...

Apparently the ref picked up a few of the hacked off dreds from the ground, started twirling them from his head while doing a bad Jamaican accent and shouting, “Ya maaan!!! I’m a Jamaican maaaaan!!”

Totally racist.

Did this really happen? Or is this a joke?

In my opinion this is a case of irresponsible journalism, nobody actually took the time to ascertain the actual facts, and the fact that it make national news on respected networks is disgraceful.

When you are higher status you have license to do things that lower status plebs can't, and people who benefit from maintaining or raising your higher status (getting status for it for themselves in turn) will come to defend your privi legius in such cases, in case of dispute. And you will be much quicker and more sensitive to potential disputes, to make sure people are reminded and don't forget that you have higher status (than them).

Last edited:
What is the proper hair cover that is/was supposed to be worn? I am curious since I thought it was just a swim cap under ear guards.

Folkstyle needs to get rid of headgear. Problem solved. Ref is a dip. Shit should be taken care of at weigh ins.

I can't see how this is a racial issue at all. Is it because it was a black kid with dreadlocks? Long hair is long hair, and if there are rules against having long hair, then you have two choices. Cut it off or dont compete. Kid chose to compete instead of caring about fashion and I give him credit for that.
The referee was wrong to be late and might be an asshole, but a racist? Thats stretching it too far, seems like you can be branded a racist for any interaction with black people today which is sad.

Another detail conveniently left out...

Apparently the ref picked up a few of the hacked off dreds from the ground, started twirling them from his head while doing a bad Jamaican accent and shouting, “Ya maaan!!! I’m a Jamaican maaaaan!!”

Totally racist.
Hahahaha lmfa

What is the proper hair cover that is/was supposed to be worn? I am curious since I thought it was just a swim cap under ear guards.

The main difference is the Wrestling hair guard has loops which the chin straps feed inside keeping the hair guard attached to the wrestlers head. As @Dirty Holt mentioned a regular skull cap will constantly fall off and the match has to be stopped and started every time it falls off. It is actually a good rule.

The ear guards are mandatory for wrestling as well? If so that makes sense that the hair covering attaches to the ear guards. Thanks!

The ref does not have to check equipment at weigh ins, it is suggested that he does. The rule clearly states that the wrestlers must check in before each match ready to compete within the rules, and the ref has full discretion to penalyze after check in.

No one has even stopped to contemplate this: The wrestler checked in with a swim cap, meaning, he knew, unprompted, that his hair was an issue. No one checks in with a swim cap without knowing the hair is an issue. Why the ref is catching shit on this over the coach is beyond me.

The ref has an actual history of racism if you a take a minute to look it up. if dirtyholt says he was enforcing the rules then im gonna assume that's the truth, but it's not a huge stretch to think that the ref's intentions were racially motivated based on his background. Personally I think he should've been fired when it came out that he used racial slurs, but I don't think it makes sense to punish him just based off this incident alone.

Why the ref is catching shit on this over the coach is beyond me.

I imagine that quite a few of the people who are getting angry have never been to a wrestling meet of any kind. I also imagine the fact that the ref has used "the N-word" in the past is more important to them than the fact that the kid had received warnings in the past regarding his hair.

I imagine that quite a few of the people who are getting angry have never been to a wrestling meet of any kind. I also imagine the fact that the ref has used "the N-word" in the past is more important to them than the fact that the kid had received warnings in the past regarding his hair.

In no way am I defending the use of the N word, however when he did use the N word it was not in a wrestling setting. The story I heard was he was at a party, the people at the party had all been drinking, another referee who was African American told Moloney (the Referee in question) that his home made wine tasted like shit. Maloney allegedly poked the African American referee in the chest and called him the N-word, the other person double legged Maloney and slammed him to the ground. Both guys were disciplined, and they apologized to each other. It really does not matter if Maloney was the grand wizard of his local KKK, the individual action that he took at the meet was by the book. To turn this into a racial incident without knowing the actual facts was shitty journalism. It is actually sad, Team USA had one of their best showings at the World Championships, and the top wrestling story of the year was this crap.

Last edited:
The ref has an actual history of racism if you a take a minute to look it up. if dirtyholt says he was enforcing the rules then im gonna assume that's the truth, but it's not a huge stretch to think that the ref's intentions were racially motivated based on his background. Personally I think he should've been fired when it came out that he used racial slurs, but I don't think it makes sense to punish him just based off this incident alone.

On the spot haircuts actually are not that uncommon, and the fact that he had been warned 2 times by two different referees (as @dirtyholt pointed out) that his hair cover was not in compliance really makes it difficult to call this a racial incident.

I have read a countless number of articles about this incident, and it is incredible how uniformed people are. I have seen people actually suggest that the purpose of the grooming rule was to keep the sport white. This is CRAZY! If anything, allowing the hair cover is inclusive, it allows girls, and people with religious restrictions to participate in the sport.

awful, I still remember the disdain with which the white woman cut the kids hair

bet shes a racist too
I kind of feel like you are joking and I'm just missing it, but I think that woman is one of his coaches....?

America and their "racial tensions ".... people should be less sensitive, big deal that the he used the n word in the past, blacks are calling whites crackers and nobody gets offended. The kid's been warned in the past and still didn't want to comply so tough shit

I agree 100% One of my training partners had dreadlocks for a year, during that period of time I could not get a a good front headlock on him, the hair created space and effected the tightness of my head lock. I too agree that the rule is legitimate.
Lmao this cannot be a serious post.

Back