International Vietnam poised to be big post-pandemic winner

VNE: US-Led Trade Network Could Strengthen Vietnam’s Place In Global Supply Chains

Vietnam was recently invited to join the "Quad" countries Australia, India, Japan, and the U.S., in an unofficial teleconference on combating COVID-19 and reviving the economy post-pandemic.

Analysts said the addition of Vietnam, South Korea and New Zealand to the group, which has been dubbed "Quad Plus," suggests the group is seeking to reduce the dependence on China in the global supply chain.

Economist Nguyen Tri Hieu said as one of the fastest-growing economies in Southeast Asia with exports running into the tens of billions of dollars annually, Vietnam has many good reasons to be selected to the grouping.

Other experts said the pandemic has placed Vietnam in the spotlight thanks to its drastic and quick response to contain it and successfully prevent any deaths.

Economist Pham Chi Lan said Quad Plus could help Vietnam further advance its trade relations with the U.S. without the need for a free trade agreement, which would take a lot of time and work.

There would be a wave of American investment coming to the country, and investors from Japan, another Quad member, and the E.U, with which Vietnam has signed a trade pact, could also pour money.

Vietnam has in the last three decades missed many opportunities to establish a better position in the global supply chain, and it should not make the same mistake again since after this time there might not be any space left, she warned.

"This is a golden opportunity for Vietnam."

I thought India will be the next big thing. What happened to that?

I thought India will be the next big thing. What happened to that?
People figured out that India is a messy conglomeration of confusing states and laws.

There was just a thread on India in the WR the other day. The place has also been brain drained by the US for decades now. Unlike China, most of their brightest don't return home after earning their PhD's and MSc's at American institutions. I'd still be in favor of improving relations and strengthening the QUAD+ security alliance with them though. There's animosity and distrust with the CCP, capitalize on it.

Moving factories to Vietnam and other SEA countries has been happening for quite a while now, 10 years ago I remember friends who imported from China telling me about how rising labor costs in China were causing people to abandon them.

There was just a thread on India in the WR the other day. The place has also been brain drained by the US for decades now. Unlike China, most of their brightest don't return home after earning their PhD's and MSc's at American institutions. I'd still be in favor of improving relations and strengthening the QUAD+ security alliance with them though. There's animosity and distrust with the CCP, capitalize on it.

Same with pre revolution Iran. The US and Europe brain drained them to doom.
India has problems. and many kids born in the US have no interest in it. It's gross, way over crowded and dangerous. They need to fix one of those to attack their educated.
Would love w milk tea alliance surrounding China and basically hapsburg them in like Spain did to France.

Same with pre revolution Iran. The US and Europe brain drained them to doom.
India has problems. and many kids born in the US have no interest in it. It's gross, way over crowded and dangerous. They need to fix one of those to attack their educated.
Would love w milk tea alliance surrounding China and basically hapsburg them in like Spain did to France.

I'm not sure if "thriving" is strong enough a description of how well Persian-Americans have done for themselves and assimilated into the country.

Iranian Americans or Persian Americans are U.S. citizens who are of Iranian ancestry or who hold Iranian citizenship. Iranian Americans are among the most highly educated people in the United States, with the highest percentage of master's degrees of any ethnic group in the country. They have historically excelled in academia, the arts, entertainment and science.

According to a survey commissioned by the Public Affairs Alliance of Iranian Americans (PAAIA), only 21 percent of Iranian-Americans reported interacting mostly with other Iranian Americans outside of their workplace, demonstrating that most of them have successfully integrated into United States society.

The intermarriage rate is very high among Iranian Americans. It has been estimated that nearly 50 percent of Iranian-Americans who married between 1995 and 2007 married non-Iranian Americans. Research has furthermore indicated that Iranian-Americans who are Muslim are more open to intermarry than those who are members of other religious or ethnic minorities, such as Jews and Armenians.[10][11][12]

I'm not sure if "thriving" is strong enough a description of how well Persian-Americans have done for themselves and assimilated into the country.

Iranian Americans or Persian Americans are U.S. citizens who are of Iranian ancestry or who hold Iranian citizenship. Iranian Americans are among the most highly educated people in the United States, with the highest percentage of master's degrees of any ethnic group in the country. They have historically excelled in academia, the arts, entertainment and science.

According to a survey commissioned by the Public Affairs Alliance of Iranian Americans (PAAIA), only 21 percent of Iranian-Americans reported interacting mostly with other Iranian Americans outside of their workplace, demonstrating that most of them have successfully integrated into United States society.

The intermarriage rate is very high among Iranian Americans. It has been estimated that nearly 50 percent of Iranian-Americans who married between 1995 and 2007 married non-Iranian Americans. Research has furthermore indicated that Iranian-Americans who are Muslim are more open to intermarry than those who are members of other religious or ethnic minorities, such as Jews and Armenians.[10][11][12]
I agree. Iranians did well outside the Republic. It Def didn't do the homeland any good. Same with a lot of places, India, Pakistan etc included. The brain drain hurts. Would like to have minimal immigration from poorer countries so they can work out their problems without the pressure release valve and sometimes burden of emigration

I agree. Iranians did well outside the Republic. It Def didn't do the homeland any good. Same with a lot of places, India, Pakistan etc included. The brain drain hurts. Would like to have minimal immigration from poorer countries so they can work out their problems without the pressure release valve and sometimes burden of emigration

I like visiting Tehrangeles when I'm over in SoCal, and it's right next door to WeHo(mo). It's a Persian-American enclave, but without all of the negative aspects normally associated with one. It's just charming and culturally rich; very safe area of LA.

The jobs won't be coming back
Labor costs are way too high

Screen-Shot-2015-01-29-at-12.46.20-PM.png

Back