Vietnam is sentencing corrupt bankers to death, by firing squad

How many profit centers do you think an investment bank has? What % of those were trading MBS's at the time? This has a much bigger bearing on your point than you might think.

Also, have you ever heard of the phrase caveat emptor? Was there somebody forcing people to take huge unsecured loans?

I have but don't you think that these organisations have a responsibility to their shareholders to have prudent lending standards in place or should they just be dishing out money to people they know eventually can't pay but then hope the price of their property goes up so they can re-possess and sell it to re-coup their monies.

If the banks had better regulation over their lending requirements would this have ever happened in your opinion?

I have but don't you think that these organisations have a responsibility to their shareholders to have prudent lending standards in place or should they just be dishing out money to people they know eventually can't pay but then hope the price of their property goes up so they can re-possess and sell it to re-coup their monies.

If the banks had better regulation over their lending requirements would this have ever happened in your opinion?

your first point is interesting and it addresses a concept that has plagued finance for an incredibly long time, agency.

Their is a visible disconnect between the principal (firm owners) and agents (managers/employees). Employees should be incentivised to create returns for shareholders. In fact, oftentimes the argument is that agents are too risk adverse!

However when you consider the shareholders of a financial institution, then decompose the structure right down to the employee who sells a mortgage, there is a great deal of space between the two.

This is where incentives come into play, an employee who gets

self-five.gif

Great argument.

Matt_Serra.jpg

A lot of these banker actions seem to be worthy of capital punishment even though I don't necessarily want anyone dead.

What exactly did specific bankers do which make them worthy of capital punishment?

On your first point, of course they do. However, your average broker sitting in front of a screen which is pre-loaded with software which did 99% of the credit making decisions for him is not culpable for criticism that is now being piled onto him. The interbank/agency CDO's similarly were exercising policies put in from the top, so I know its fashionable and easy to blame bankers for the whole thing, but it was the decisions of a small number of high-powered people who made the FS industry in any way culpable, and even then, as I said before, nobody forced people to go out and leverage themselves to the hilt. They weren't children being duped into things, these were adults who were responsible for their own actions, and are not blameless or victims.

On the second point, yeah maybe. However, don't forget, the money they were able to make trading CDO's and other securities are what made them able to offer out money at low interest. If people really want extremely stringent standards over loans, then they will have to accept the ugly side which would be automatically have people put 40% down on any loan and have much higher standards across the board. See how that works when all of a sudden nobody can get a loan and landlords can wield incredible power over renters.

I can tell you already what the result will be because its happening in the UK and Ireland right now......."ugh bankers....ugh bankers........greedy bankers wont loan out any money......poor us".

The story doesn't change, its easy to hate on people who earn a lot of money and who make important decisions.

I've given up on you is what that means.

But hey, happy self-congratulations buddy.

Yes, your points were razor sharp and your industry knowledge was unsurpassable.

What points did you make again? I forgot.

On your first point, of course they do. However, your average broker sitting in front of a screen which is pre-loaded with software which did 99% of the credit making decisions for him is not culpable for criticism that is now being piled onto him. The interbank/agency CDO's similarly were exercising policies put in from the top, so I know its fashionable and easy to blame bankers for the whole thing, but it was the decisions of a small number of high-powered people who made the FS industry in any way culpable, and even then, as I said before, nobody forced people to go out and leverage themselves to the hilt. They weren't children being duped into things, these were adults who were responsible for their own actions, and are not blameless or victims.

On the second point, yeah maybe. However, don't forget, the money they were able to make trading CDO's and other securities are what made them able to offer out money at low interest. If people really want extremely stringent standards over loans, then they will have to accept the ugly side which would be automatically have people put 40% down on any loan and have much higher standards across the board. See how that works when all of a sudden nobody can get a loan and landlords can wield incredible power over renters.

I can tell you already what the result will be because its happening in the UK and Ireland right now......."ugh bankers....ugh bankers........greedy bankers wont loan out any money......poor us".

The story doesn't change, its easy to hate on people who earn a lot of money and who make important decisions.

Culpability is a two way street. Yes no one forced these people to take loans just like no one forced the banks to give them. Yet the tax payer has bailed out the public company and the person who took the loan and could not pay get's fucked. Who exactly was the beneficiary there?

If you don't see a clear conflict of interest between the relationship between bank and credit agencies who the banks pay money for ratings then you aren't looking hard enough. If they want a triple AAA rating and didn't get one from S & P, then they kicked up a fuss and threatened to take their business to moody's. This happened and has been documented and you know as well as I do this is wrong. Essentially ratings for cash.

The people who could not afford to re-pay the loans did not bankrupt these companies, the companies screwed themselves by having lax lending requirements.

In regards to the UK and Ireland, they've tightened up their lending requirements which if they would have had in place at the start none of this would have happened. This is something they should have done long ago and we would be seeing very similar results like what happened to the Australian banking system.....................nothing. Because our banks had much stricter lending criteria and were not exposed to garbage debt, our banking system was essentially shielded from the effects.

and your 40% down number is bullshit, I can get a loan with 20% down and no mortgage insurance whatsoever. I can get a a loan with 5% down with mortgage insurance. Any bank that is putting a minimum 40% down as a lending requirement is going to have some serious issues attracting customers.

Banks played a part and got off scot free and in tact with a big fat bonus cheque paid to execs, if you can't see who got screwed here you might need to adjust your moral compass.

And it is not hating on anyone, these people who make a lot of money and important decisions fucked up big time so heaven forbid they become accountable for their actions. You certainly don't seem to have an issue with the person who took out the loan they could not afford being accountable, not sure why you have a problem with the top brass of these failed companies being held to a similar standard?

Culpability is a two way street. Yes no one forced these people to take loans just like no one forced the banks to give them. Yet the tax payer has bailed out the public company and the person who took the loan and could not pay get's fucked. Who exactly was the beneficiary there?

If you don't see a clear conflict of interest between the relationship between bank and credit agencies who the banks pay money for ratings then you aren't looking hard enough. If they want a triple AAA rating and didn't get one from S & P, then they kicked up a fuss and threatened to take their business to moody's. This happened and has been documented and you know as well as I do this is wrong. Essentially ratings for cash.

The people who could not afford to re-pay the loans did not bankrupt these companies, the companies screwed themselves by having lax lending requirements.

In regards to the UK and Ireland, they've tightened up their lending requirements which if they would have had in place at the start none of this would have happened. This is something they should have done long ago and we would be seeing very similar results like what happened to the Australian banking system.....................nothing. Because our banks had much stricter lending criteria and were not exposed to garbage debt, our banking system was essentially shielded from the effects.

and your 40% down number is bullshit, I can get a loan with 20% down and no mortgage insurance whatsoever. I can get a a loan with 5% down with mortgage insurance. Any bank that is putting a minimum 40% down as a lending requirement is going to have some serious issues attracting customers.

Banks played a part and got off scot free and in tact with a big fat bonus cheque paid to execs, if you can't see who got screwed here you might need to adjust your moral compass.

And it is not hating on anyone, these people who make a lot of money and important decision fucked up big time so heaven forbid they become accountable for their actions.

Thanks for the recap, however Happy Boy pretends not to understand your post.

Would like to make another point based off of your post: instead of bailing out both the homeowners and the banks, by subsidizing mortgage payments, the government directly bailed out the banks, who got to have their cake and eat it, too.

You think banks benefited? The top execs legally had to be paid no matter what according to the contracts they had. Unless you want to have the government telling corporations what contracts they can and can't offer that was fairly unavoidable. Outside the top brass, there was mass layoffs and redundancies of people who had done nothing wrong, had seen entire 25 year pensions wiped out and the ones who were lucky to survive are still getting squeezed hard with pay cuts, bonuses in deferred stock and more brutal working environment than ever. They didn't exactly benefit from it at the time, they were kept afloat to stop the entire economy crashing. They survived long enough to restructure, it was hardly benefiting, not to mention all the support and tertiary industries which got practically ruined.

Again though, decisions about ratings and those negotiations are held at a level unknown to most of the people who suffered and are now being villainsed. Of course that is a conflict of interest, but why should the entire industry be smeared as a result?

Yes, they did. Defaulting on loans in huge numbers is what crashed the economy and caused the whole crisis. Again though, its circular, you may counter by saying those people shouldn't have been loaned money in the first place, but bottom line, had they all paid and not defaulted, 2008 wouldn't have happened.

You're missing the fact that Australia has a massive metals and mining industry that plays a big part in its economy, the UK and Ireland doesn't and FS made/makes up a huge portion of their GDP. As such, when this happened, there was nothing to balance it out. Same with Canada. So although it may sound like Australia did things right, it wasn't much different and was still loaning on money and trading on the CDO markets, it just wasn't as exposed and had other basic industries to fall back on.

They are!! Banks are being heavily criticised now with populist nonsense like "we bailed them out and now they are keeping it all for themselves" from tabloids and the like and they are being very cautious about loaning money out. Rent demand is high, landlords are able to raise rent knowing that borrowing money is much harder there, its exactly what I said, the ugly side of heavy regulation.

No, they didn't get off scot free. Were you not paying attention to thousands of people being marched out without any notice during that time. Whole departments were being laid off, and the ones who stayed have been squeezed. They very much felt the pain, and still do. Once again, most of these people had nothing to do with the CDO and MBS markets, they just felt the pain throughout as their employer got hurt, so this "scot-free" argument needs some addressing.

Also, the only people being paid out big bonuses were the top brass who were contractually obligated to be paid one way or another, or they sold the stock they they bought with their own money got sold and they got paid. That isn't a bonus, that is selling something they own.

And it is not hating on anyone, these people who make a lot of money and important decisions fucked up big time so heaven forbid they become accountable for their actions. You certainly don't seem to have an issue with the person who took out the loan they could not afford being accountable, not sure why you have a problem with the top brass of these failed companies being held to a similar standard?

A lot of them got fired, and their reputation damaged. If other people still want to hire them or still rate their experience, who is anyone to stop that happening? Say a top IB'er goes to a hedge fund and earns $100m, is that not allowed now that they screwed up in their previous role?

What would you like to see happen to them?

Last edited:
Thanks for the recap, however Happy Boy pretends not to understand your post.

Would like to make another point based off of your post: instead of bailing out both the homeowners and the banks, by subsidizing mortgage payments, the government directly bailed out the banks, who got to have their cake and eat it, too.

No I understand fine, and am happy to respond to him as he made actual points and presented an argument. You do neither of these things, you get worked up, band around ad hominems and argue strawmen, hence I stopped responding to you.

If you'd like to make an actual argument, I'd be glad to engage.

All in all, very good post. I would just add to the underlined portion that while true nobody was forced to take a loan, many loans were done with predatory lending practices.

You think banks benefited? The top execs legally had to be paid no matter what according to the contracts they had. Unless you want to have the government telling corporations what contracts they can and can't offer that was fairly unavoidable. Outside the top brass, there was mass layoffs and redundancies of people who had done nothing wrong, had seen entire 25 year pensions wiped out and the ones who were lucky to survive are still getting squeezed hard with pay cuts, bonuses in deferred stock and more brutal working environment than ever. They didn't exactly benefit from it at the time, they were kept afloat to stop the entire economy crashing. They survived long enough to restructure, it was hardly benefiting, not to mention all the support and tertiary industries which got practically ruined.

Again though, decisions about ratings and those negotiations are held at a level unknown to most of the people who suffered and are now being villainsed. Of course that is a conflict of interest, but why should the entire industry be smeared as a result?

Yes, they did. Defaulting on loans in huge numbers is what crashed the economy and caused the whole crisis. Again though, its circular, you may counter by saying those people shouldn't have been loaned money in the first place, but bottom line, had they all paid and not defaulted, 2008 wouldn't have happened.

You're missing the fact that Australia has a massive metals and mining industry that plays a big part in its economy, the UK and Ireland doesn't and FS made/makes up a huge portion of their GDP. As such, when this happened, there was nothing to balance it out. Same with Canada. So although it may sound like Australia did things right, it wasn't much different and was still loaning on money and trading on the CDO markets, it just wasn't as exposed and had other basic industries to fall back on.

They are!! Banks are being heavily criticised now with populist nonsense like "we bailed them out and now they are keeping it all for themselves" from tabloids and the like and they are being very cautious about loaning money out. Rent demand is high, landlords are able to raise rent knowing that borrowing money is much harder there, its exactly what I said, the ugly side of heavy regulation.

No, they didn't get off scot free. Were you not paying attention to thousands of people being marched out without any notice during that time. Whole departments were being laid off, and the ones who stayed have been squeezed. They very much felt the pain, and still do. Once again, most of these people had nothing to do with the CDO and MBS markets, they just felt the pain throughout as their employer got hurt, so this "scot-free" argument needs some addressing.

Also, the only people being paid out big bonuses were the top brass who were contractually obligated to be paid one way or another, or they sold the stock they they bought with their own money got sold and they got paid. That isn't a bonus, that is selling something they own.

A lot of them got fired, and their reputation damaged. If other people still want to hire them or still rate their experience, who is anyone to stop that happening? Say a top IB'er goes to a hedge fund and earns $100m, is that not allowed now that they screwed up in their previous role?

Too long; didn't read. LOL

Of course the banks benefited, they are still in business aren't they? If that is not a benefit then what is? We weren't talking about the rank and file employee we were talking about the execs who you don't seem to think should be accountable for their actions.

Why shouldn't those manipulating credit ratings be held criminally responsible for what is essentially fraud? Were they entitled to those ratings legitimately or did they coerce the ratings companies into providing them at the threat of taking business elsewhere?

In regards to the Australian system I am not missing anything, it is heavily regulated. There is a reason the exposure to CDO and low doc MBS was low, because they are high risk so it stands to reason you don't overexpose your business to these types of investments. You want to mitigate you risk as I am sure you are aware.

You keep trying to deflect blame on the investor. The investor does not run the business, they simply apply for a loan from the business. If your business is structured so poorly that you hand out money to individuals who don't realistically pass any credible credit assessment then you need to held accountable for your actions. It isn't a difficult concept to understand. That is pretty much the entire premise of capitalism is it not?

Those stocks options you referred to are not simply contractually obligated items. If a company is insolvent then how can it pay bonuses out legally? It can't. Instead government money was used instead. If the companies went bust as they should have done, would these execs still have gotten their contractually obligated bonuses? I wouldn't have thought they would have been high on the list of secured creditors.

In terms of repercussions execs have been responsible for essentially bankrupting billion dollar companies. At the very minimum imo they should be disqualified from holding such a position for at least 10 years, with possible criminal charges to follow. That is not an unreasonable position given the financial damage these people have done as a result of mismanagement.

Of course the banks benefited, they are still in business aren't they? If that is not a benefit then what is? We weren't talking about the rank and file employee we were talking about the execs who you don't seem to think should be accountable for their actions.

Why shouldn't those manipulating credit ratings be held criminally responsible for what is essentially fraud? Were they entitled to those ratings legitimately or did they coerce the ratings companies into providing them at the threat of taking business elsewhere?

In regards to the Australian system I am not missing anything, it is heavily regulated. There is a reason the exposure to CDO and low doc MBS was low, because they are high risk so it stands to reason you don't overexpose your business to these types of investments. You want to mitigate you risk as I am sure you are aware.

You keep trying to deflect blame on the investor. The investor does not run the business, they simply apply for a loan from the business. If your business is structured so poorly that you hand out money to individuals who don't realistically pass any credible credit assessment then you need to held accountable for your actions. It isn't a difficult concept to understand. That is pretty much the entire premise of capitalism is it not?

Those stocks options you referred to are not simply contractually obligated items. If a company is insolvent then how can it pay bonuses out legally? It can't. Instead government money was used instead. If the companies went bust as they should have done, would these execs still have gotten their contractually obligated bonuses? I wouldn't have thought they would have been high on the list of secured creditors.

In terms of repercussions execs have been responsible for essentially bankrupting billion dollar companies. At the very minimum imo they should be disqualified from holding such a position for at least 10 years, with possible criminal charges to follow. That is not an unreasonable position given the financial damage these people have done as a result of mismanagement.

Placeholder. Will respond when I'm not typing on my phone.

Back