vids of langhi getting stacked?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by invertcheguard, May 27, 2014.

1. invertcheguard

invertcheguard Orange Belt

anyone know specific fight on youtube where he gets stacked? i just cant remember which ones, just wanted to know how he reacts to a stack from spider

2. joeytriangles

joeytriangles Orange Belt

[YT]gv7DzMOg4to[/YT]

3. Solidus Snake

Solidus Snake Purple Belt

[YT]nZ9lqSjsMQ0[/YT]

4. Spiderguard Man

Spiderguard Man Orange Belt

now I know what I am doing at lunch today. I have just started to study his guard game. Any good links to studies or breakdowns of his guard game?

5. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

It's a good Rolled Up:

http://www.budovideos.com/online/shows/rolledup/episode-23-the-impassable-guard-with-michael-langhi/

Also, BJJ Hacks has a good vid:

http://bjjhacks.com/the-dynamic-open-guard-of-michael-langhi-bjj-hacks-tv-episode-4-2/

He also has just released 3 discs on various aspects of his guard, the spider guard one I believe covers some retention:

http://www.budovideos.com/spider-guard-dvd-by-michael-langhi.html

And his teacher was Cobrinha, and I see him using a lot of the stuff off Cobrinha's set:

http://www.budovideos.com/cobrinha-bjj-7-volume-dvd-set-with-rubens-charles.html

There's some great spider retention drills there.

6. Spiderguard Man

I have been thinking about pulling the trigger for the Langhi dvds for the spider guard disc. Oh how I wish I had more money to spend on my jiu jitsu addiction... :rolleyes:

7. Spiderguard Man

thanks uchi. I have watched those clips so many times already but any excuse to watch great jiu jitsu is a good one

8. TonyRo

TonyRo White Belt

Having watched nearly all of his matches on YouTube a few times, it's not that far off to say nearly all of them. Feels like every match there's a few hilarious screenshots of him literally hanging by his opponent's sleeves.

There's a ton in this one (off the top of my head, I'm not rewatching it):

[YT]npdF2z_vKHg[/YT]

And a bit in this one too towards the middle of match (plus a sick sweep sequence about 60-75% of the way through):

[YT]SjhQ2wu4CEU[/YT]

Love Langhi's game, study it a ton. And as Uchi said, a lot of the techniques, gripsets, and positional ideas I see him employ against stack/double under pass attempts are straight off of that Cobrinha DVD. Nearly always double sleeve, always keeping "loose hips" and the angle during stacks, and always looking to pummel that Spider back in via a straight push or the half moon pass over the face.

9. invertcheguard

thanks for the links, the caporal one was the one i was looking for. he seems to just let himself get stacked while keeping grips (which must be pretty frigging strong to do) then most opponents just give up or move to something else. the miyaos do this alot too, i just dont like getting stacked from spider for too long and tend to push away or elbow escape sometimes letting go of grips. i think i have to start getting used to it and keep the grips more though.

10. Chute Stomp

Chute Stomp Brown Belt

^^^
    I just watched the Caporal one the other night and was gonna post it.

11. Spiderguard Man

the issue I have had is they start stacking faster then I can shoulder walk myself back. What I am seeing in these videos is the use of the extended legs to create pressure to keep them from lifting their posture and effecting the pass (my big fear is the straight back flip over into turtle).

So we use our hooks to keep them at a good distance and to keep their posture down? Then we use our legs to push them back to create space to reset our hook or use the half moon pumel over the face to establish the hook? All made possible with grips of DOOM

12. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

To play spider guard like Langhi you really have to have his physical attributes as well. His guard relies on insance flexibility and absurd grip strength, and you can't play like him without it. The truth is that Langhi rarely gets stacked like you and me because he almost always has control of both of his opponent's hands and uses his flexibility and grip strength to prevent the flip to turtle (which is what would happen to you and me if we insisted on keeping grips when the top guy hipped in really hard). So he prevents the tight stack with his grip control and ability to shoulder walk, and the explosive stack doesn't really affect him because he's comfortable with his feet on the ground behind his head totally inverted while still maintaining sleeve control.

13. TonyRo

TonyRo White Belt

It's also somewhat important to distinguish between the top approach. There's multiple paths down which a passer on top can direct typical stack/double under passes, at least to me. For instance, whether or not the passer is standing or on his knees changing things, and whether or not he trying to roll you to Turtle or actually stack pass. One uses pressure, one doesn't, at least not in the same way. For instance, most people stand when they want to roll you to Turtle, while when they're on the knees, it's much more likely that someone wants to load you up on to their hips and pass over/unders or with the standard stack like you might see from Closed Guard. Even still, there's variations that put you on your neck and into the Leg Drag. The list goes on.

Uchi Mata is correct in that to stop the standing "roll to Turtle" pass, Langhi defends by simply hanging there by both grips with both feet on the floor, but not his head. A very small percentage of people can probably rely on this defense! Similarly, he can defend stack-style double-under passes by simply putting his feet on the ground next to his hand while maintaining double sleeves, though most of the time you'll see him and others cut a ninety degree angle between hip lines so that it's easier to recover that outside leg. Normal people sit up to make their legs heavy, swim their legs inside their opponent's butterfly guard style, grab the belt palm up, etc. There are a lot of different ways. Cobrinha has a bunch on his DVD (many of them Langhi does as well) - well worth watching.

One thing that watching Langhi has impressed upon me is the power of double sleeve control. Here, it stops passes from cross-grabbing legs or sleeves while you're stacked, it stops them from grabbing the back of your pants and dumping you into Turtle, it lets you flare out their arms to more easily re-guard into a Half Spider, etc. Double sleeves is a really effective way of giving passers a hard time. As far as grip sets go, I have really only seen Langhi employ double sleeves and probably about 15-20% cross-collar and sleeve, with his legs floating between spider, lasso, DLR, and hybrids of those.

14. invertcheguard

agreed. this is useful too, elbows on mat back pushing down, but its not from spider guard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnQdK3acaI8

15. invertcheguard

Leandro almost always uses double sleeve. even less collar sleeve than langhi. only time he really switches to pants and sleeve is to go for his hybrid x sweep or for the rdlr spin under. and by double sleeve i mean lasso and sleeve most of time. langhi kinda uses the more shallow lasso on elbow or on collarbone area or shoulder. i like using that alot too it makes it much easier to move around and switch to DLR or to the spider hybrid dlr sweep whatever its called now.

also interesting to note, ive only seen leandro stacked about 2-3 times plus rodolfo, he does a really good job preventing that as well without relying on langhi-like flexibility.