Videos/tips for high pull?

Big Jack

Green Belt
Reaction score
My power clean has improved a lot recently and I feel a lot more comfortable with the lift overall. I have recently started doing high pulls with the same narrow grip but they just feel awkward. I am trying to explode up and smash the hips right through , but sometimes it just feels like I am doing a massively bodged upright row.

Anyone have any good videos or tips to help me with it? I'll try and get a form video next time I'm in the gym, if I can remember. Thanks.

I'm not sure if this is right, but when I was doing them I was doing 1 of two things.

1.) popping the bar up and just letting my arms follow along with it while focusing on driving my elbows up. Wasn't really pulling it with my arms much.

or 2.) think about actively pulling yourself DOWN to the bar. As opposed to pulling the bar up to your shoulders.

See how his body drops to meet the bar, as opposed to him pulling the bar up to his upright posture.

Ah I see what you mean about dropping to meet the bar, thanks. Like I said, it looks like I'm doing super bro ego shrugs sometimes, and it doesn't really feel right. Should I switch my grip to a snatch grip perhaps, or would that be pointless seeing as I don't actually snatch? All the vids I seem to find on this have people pulling with the snatch grip...

If you have only recently gotten comfortable with power cleans, I would do more power cleans instead of pulls.

Ah I see what you mean about dropping to meet the bar, thanks. Like I said, it looks like I'm doing super bro ego shrugs sometimes, and it doesn't really feel right. Should I switch my grip to a snatch grip perhaps, or would that be pointless seeing as I don't actually snatch? All the vids I seem to find on this have people pulling with the snatch grip...

That's because no one does high pulls with a clean grip.

That's because no one does high pulls with a clean grip.

So for Bill Starrs power routine, which includes high pulls, I should be using a snatch grip then? I thought something was up :redface:

Back