Videogames monthly ... Any subscribers?

lakersfan45

That's sardo! No mr, accent on the do!
@Gold
Reaction score
Videogames monthly subscription is a retro videogames site that sends you a certain amount of games for a fixed price but you don't get to choose the games. The entry fee is 3 for $30. I'm thinking about doing it for Snes and n64 to build a collection

Sounds like it would be cheaper and more convenient to just buy the games you want themselves. I don't think they're really rare or anything, and I doubt they will send anything you couldn't find for $10.

Find a Rock30, Gorilla Games, Ebay, Amazon, etc. Even check the Salvation Army and places like that. Hit up garage sales also.

Sounds like it would be cheaper and more convenient to just buy the games you want themselves. I don't think they're really rare or anything, and I doubt they will send anything you couldn't find for $10.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. But it would be a pretty easy way to build up a collection. a lot of times when I search for specific n64 games or Snes games they are actually priced usually 15 and above even on eBay. And the lots are always like 3 good games with 10 sports games

Just use an emulator bro. It's free.

But but its not the same...

I just dont get the reason why people spend so much on old console games that can and will fail, when you can get working copies of all of them for free in like 5 minutes, including the rare games that can cost hundreds of dollars, even translated japanese titles. Just buy matching usb controllers for that "original" feel.

I feel like some games need to be played on old tube TV's. Don't get me wrong, I've been emulating for close to a decade, but I think just think it depends on the game. The juice isn't always worth the squeeze though.

I just dont get the reason why people spend so much on old console games that can and will fail, when you can get working copies of all of them for free in like 5 minutes, including the rare games that can cost hundreds of dollars, even translated japanese titles. Just buy matching usb controllers for that "original" feel.
1. Emulation can be wildly inconsistent.
2. Most speedrunning sites only accept the real deal for verifying potential records.

2. Most speedrunning sites only accept the real deal for verifying potential records.

Depends on what your emulating. As far as SNES and most N64 games go, they're pretty solid. And TS doesn't sound like a guy looking to break speed run records.

1. Maybe for a few of the "newer" systems, but ive never had one issue with any emulator for nes/snes/genesis/etc. and have used them for as long as they've been available on the internet... and console carts can be wildly inconsistent too (and without save states you can be completely f'ed)

2. Like .00001% of people who collect old games actually care about doing speed runs.

Wrong.. Anything older the the Playstation era is emulated to perfection. As long as you get a good emulator and know where to get good roms with good dumps it's easy. A computer from 15 years ago can run those games with ease too. So it's not like you need a good rig to run an emulator.

It's the ISO's that can get sketchy, especially when you need graphic/audio plug-ins.

Some people actually like collecting.

It's the same annoying argument for physical media. Worry about your own nonsense.

Wrong...Anything older the the Playstation era is emulated to perfection. As long as you get a good emulator and know where to get good roms with good dumps it's easy. A computer from 15 years ago can run those games with ease too. So it's not like you need a good rig to run an emulator.

It's the ISO's that can get sketchy, especially when you need graphic/audio plug-ins.
That's not wrong at all actually.
Not only that but there's technically no such thing as "perfect" emulation. See PS1 backwards compatibility on PS2 and the available platform choices for the Retron 5.

If Lakersfan is intent on building a physical collection then there's little point in squabbling in an emulation sidebar, guys. Speak to his intent, not your own preference.

Sounds like a sure fire way to get a bunch of clay fighters and other junk games. Just eBay and yard sale it

That's not wrong at all actually.
Not only that but there's technically no such thing as "perfect" emulation. See PS1 backwards compatibility on PS2 and the available platform choices for the Retron 5.

Did you even read what I posted? :rolleyes:

If Lakersfan is intent on building a physical collection then there's little point in squabbling in an emulation sidebar, guys. Speak to his intent, not your own preference.

Offering him alternatives is not a "sidebar" Madmick. Maybe he isn't aware of emulation??

If he wants to waste his money on shovelware old cartridge games (highly doubt he gets Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III and Zelda type games in this subscription service) that's his prerogative. Just trying to save Lakersfan a headache and some $$.

I do appreciate alternatives but id rather play the games on a TV. I also like paying for stuff/ don't like stealing... But I guess in this case the publisher isn't making money either way so I've never really thought about that. Also I have had problems with emulators in the past not feeling right. If I went the emulator route I would like to do so through a hand held system. I read psp emulators are poor. If I'm wrong please enlighten me.

My wii u virtual console has a bunch of the snes games and now starting to get the 64 games so maybe a handheld system plus emulator would be better at this point. Or selectively buying games. I just thought the idea of getting a box with old games every month would be awesome if they games ranged from decent to great.

It depends. SNES games on a PSP are inconsistent but the PS1 emulation is great and better than the crummy PS1 emulation on PS3. Plus there's a shitload of PS1 games on the PSN store all between $5 to $10.

There's also an Everdrive too if you want to play them on the original hardware on a tv with the original controllers.

Last edited:

I get what you're saying, but it feels pretty special to collect physical copies of games (and consoles). It's a feeling that emulators just can't match.

That being said, you can more or less perfectly emulate everything up to around the PS1/N64.

You can still play on a TV, a TV is just a big monitor - plug your computer into that. Get a usb controller and there you go.

If you're stuck on getting physical copies I'd just buy the ones you actually want on p2p sites. There's a ton of crap games that we've never heard of that you're probably going to get in that package deal.

Back