Video: Why These Headhunters Converted to Christianity | National Geographic

I'm sure it had nothing to do with the "convert or we will murder your entire village" Idea
They converted more recently, some guys just came there to preach the bible and they liked it and converted no one forced them with threats of death these are some of the oldest or last head hunters left.

I've got an older good friend who's done some mission trips to Africa. No not the BS go for a week or two, dig a well and paint some person's house while getting tons of photos for your social media accounts, but actually live there for a year or two in a place that needs some serious help and be a community enabler alongside his spreading of the gospel so that those places can be better self sufficient

He has many stories about some very weird stuff when African spirit type pagan worshipers "convert" to Christianity but do not give up their culture and heritage and incorporate those old practices into attempting to follow Jesus in a weird and twisted way.

I've got an older good friend who's done some mission trips to Africa. No not the BS go for a week or two, dig a well and paint some person's house while getting tons of photos for your social media accounts, but actually live there for a year or two in a place that needs some serious help and be a community enabler alongside his spreading of the gospel so that those places can be better self sufficient

He has many stories about some very weird stuff when African spirit type pagan worshipers "convert" to Christianity but do not give up their culture and heritage and incorporate those old practices into attempting to follow Jesus in a weird and twisted way.

They call that Santeria when they blend their pagan ways with Christian ways but its usually combined with Catholicism.

They call that Santeria when they blend their pagan ways with Christian ways but its usually combined with Catholicism.

Didn't know it had a true name. Thanks

It amazes me the power of Christianity through history to convert people. I can't imagine the conversations that took place that ended up converting the Vikings and other warlike peoples (ignoring those who were forced to convert). Christianity does seem to have something very persuasive about it.

Back when Orkney belonged to Norway, the Norwegian King rocked up in his Long Boat to let the islanders know he had converted to Christianity. He ordered the Lord of the Isles aboard, where priests waited to baptise him. The Norwegian King told him,

"You will renounce Odin and Thor, and worship the one true God. Or I will kill you where you stand and ravage the islands with fire and steel!"

The OG Catholic Church was God's Mafia: they made you an offer you couldn't refuse:rolleyes:

Didn't know it had a true name. Thanks
In Jamaica where my family is from they have Obeah Jamaican Voodoo

these are Afro slave religions, Santeria, Palo, Hoodoo voodoo, obeah, etc.

All the Afro Carribean islands had this from Jamaican, Cuba, Haiti, etc, even in Africa they have that stuff like in Nigeria.

Back when Orkney belonged to Norway, the Norwegian King rocked up in his Long Boat to let the islanders know he had converted to Christianity. He ordered the Lord of the Isles aboard, where priests waited to baptise him. The Norwegian King told him,

"You will renounce Odin and Thor, and worship the one true God. Or I will kill you where you stand and ravage the islands with fire and steel!"

The OG Catholic Church was God's Mafia: they made you an offer you couldn't refuse:rolleyes:

What is a knight templar? I heard it before but never really learned about it just remember someone like Eddie Bravo saying it was a secret society or something

What is a knight templar? I heard it before but never really learned about it just remember someone like Eddie Bravo saying it was a secret society or something

Modern Knights Templar (with red crosses and stuff, still keeping the faith):

lUl8H7V.jpg

Not a Christian here...

But it is difficult to read the Gospels and not be moved/inspired by the teachings of Christ.

If more Christians actually followed his teachings the world would be a much better place.

Afterwards, when your read the entirety of the bible, the whole shit falls apart. You will then come to "WTF was I thinking back then?" No shit, you weren't thinking at all, you were busy being "moved."

I like how he is the chiefly hurt when another man's feet are trodden upon, how he will burn you for eternity for a finite crime, how you should love another as yourself, which is impossible and absurd, and how he demands you love and fear him (the master-slave relationship) at the same time.

Other than that, I fail to see how human morality could have progressed without an a-political peasant who promoted one of the more brutal gods of bloodshed.

DTlpoTA.png

I'd rather just hold a mirror up to you. I'm not religious myself, but goddamn you e-atheist types may be the most cringe species in existence.

So, no. It's failing to even stay on topic, while at the same time making yourself an ass by making facile assumptions. Best for all to hold a mirror to themselves.

The head hunters up north in the mountains of the philippines were converted by american missionaries through goodwill and education. Something that the Spanish couldn't do with their 333 years of occupation.

Its because the Spanish dont speak English. So language barrier problem with English speaking Northern head hunters.

Its because the Spanish dont speak English. So language barrier problem with English speaking Northern head hunters.
I had an igorot friend. He pronounced "ble", "ple" as bel/pel. Simpel. Appel. Troubel. Or is that an ilocano thing?

I had an igorot friend. He pronounced "ble", "ple" as bel/pel. Simpel. Appel. Troubel. Or is that an ilocano thing?

Sounds Ilocano thing, I have college Professor from Ilocos back in the day he speaks like that.

And says Development like Develópment.

Well, I think Christianity deserves some credit here for proving itself to be a level above head-hunting tribalism.

Those old guys should not have chopped people’s heads off. It was a wrong thing to do.

Also, I like that one dude who is like, “Yeah, I’m glad I found Jesus...
But I don’t regret chopping ANYONE’S head off.”

Hot take: Headhunting gets a bad rap. It’s a sacro- magical activity that at least recognizes there is something of tremendous cultural and psychological importance in killing another person.

What, like it’s better that our Nintendo pilots just drone a family from 50 miles away?

Back