Video: thoughts about my jab?

jonander50

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
My gym closes on august so I sporadically train in home. I still hit the plates though.

I know i am going to lose a lot because of not doing all the training, but thats normal.

Sometimes I do bursts of single techniques for speed improvement. I record it to improve later.

This is my best jab, best situation, no stress, with time to good positioning and muscle relaxation. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Looks pretty good. You flare your elbows a bit though, I'm not sure but I think that may because you have your fist and elbow almost parallel, try moving your lead hand a bit further forward and see if that helps- it did for me. Also, your head is coming forward for no reason, try subtly shifting your weight onto your back leg as you throw the punch, it'll bring your head back a bit and keep you in a better defensive position.

These are fixable points, I will try your solutions, thank you!

You're telegraphing a lot and moving your head forward when you throw it, your shoulders are also hunched and tense.

I'm pretty sure those are bad things and ring true here, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Started off good and then very quickly deterioted to bad. Think about moving your hand before your arm and don't try to hit too hard.

Relax a little more in your shoulders, lats and fist before/when throwing, sit back a little more when throwing (move the weight to the back leg a little bit and slightly sit into the back hip), try keeping your fist a little closer to your jaw (while relaxing the lats and shoulders, and being somewhat loose) when you stand square like that. Don't let the head jerk around.

Practice it a little and try posting the vid again in a few weeks.

You are fast so thats good ... but you are a little stiff with your shoulder but most of all , imo , your stance.
If your oponent is stationary its easier, but if he knows what he is doing , he wont be waiting for you to engage.
Practice that sh*t while moving forwards , backwards and while changing angles ... be aware of your left foot timing and try to be as loose as possible.
Good luck with your training.

Turn your lead foot with your jab (like how you'd do with a lead hook) makes your punch faster and stronger by getting your hips involved.

As for moving your head, Bernard Hopkins said he would do basically everything (even running, jumping rope, etc.) while holding a tennis ball between his chin and neck.

You should also record yourself from straight on, my instructor always told me to almost keep my elbow pinned to my body, the less lateral motion you have on your jab the better.

Looks like a kind of trip hammer jab. And your guard with the the way your shoulders are built reminds me of Floyd Patterson.

"I see stiffness in da jonander50 division!"
Good advice from Sano. Maybe try opening up your stance a little, sit down abit more and relax your shoulders.
Don't sacrifice fluidity for speed. Your focusing on speed so much, your bringing your hand back before you've finished your punch. You should be able to throw any punch after a jab, but The small step your doing doesn't look like it's helping you cover distance it looks like your so stiff your falling off balance and the step it to correct it.
Not bad, just thinks to work on

@biscuitsbrah is right in that there are many types of jabs though. Powerjabs, light jabs, probing jabs, fast jabs, moving with the jab, sitting down on it, high, low, flickers, straight jabs. Ohhh the possibilities!

Still think the advice is pretty solid all around.

Looks pretty good. Its fast, and you retract it back quickly. I'd say, try keeping your head off the line when you jab. Like others have said, you're quite stiff, try to relax and ease a bit. It would be better if we could see one where you moved around more, that'd be more closer to a real jab in sparring / fight.

You're pretty good!
But i've to agree with some of the people in here. That looks more like a straight lead punch than a jab. You also move your head too violently, stay relax bro, It's a jab, not a power punch!
With that being said, like biscuitbrah said. There are many type of jabs. You're good! Don't let other criticism get into your head. At least you have the ball to show-off :).
Best of luck to you bro!

I like your speed and snap. But you look a bit tense.

I would like to see a video of you moving with the jab. Dont have to be sparring. Could be shadowboxing or pad work.

You look tense like others have said, and you hand doesn't always know exactly where/how it is returning, it should go right back to its starting point without a pause. Otherwise it looks decent to me, but very tense.

Remove the tension from your shoulders and you good

Seems like you are more focused on speed than form. Slow down and look at the efficiency of your movement.

Something important that you should think about: "The shortest distance between two points is a straight line.:

PS your head is coming forward when you jab. Don't do that.

Turn your lead foot with your jab (like how you'd do with a lead hook) makes your punch faster and stronger by getting your hips involved.
Don't do this either.

I think you are pretty good, try sparring with couple of people when you get the chance and gradually improve your jab. I had seen people with perfect form... But they can't even apply it.

Back