[VIDEO] The Vale Tudo Era (Bare-Knuckle Days)

madi

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Yesterday I saw a thread from @The Natural Born Runner about Hidden Gems on MMA.

And I immediately remembered a fight of the Vale Tudo era where a young Wanderlei Silva fights an another young Artur Mariano in a match where there were almost no rule.

3 fights per night.
No gloves.
Kicks to the groin were allowed.
Headbutts were allowed.
Stomps.
Kicking a down opponent.

I think some of you would like to see.

It was crazy times where any "can" could get a win over a future champ.

And he said something I couldn't agree more.

First pro loss for Wanderlei, probably shouldn't even be a loss - didn't feel like he legitimately lost.

People (including myself) scrutinize records and resumes and call fighters out for being overrated etc, but I think we (I included) lose perspective at times, or how far this sport has come. These Vale Tudo days cannot be compared to the modern day unified rules type of fights - they are almost like different sports.

Wanderlei, in a word - legend!

Before you say some fighter just fought cans in his career, you need to analyze the whole picture of the time.

Here another very interesting video from that Era.

I hope you guys enjoy.

Last edited:
This is what MMA is meant to be. No sissy gloves, no weight classes, no downed opponent BS.

Put Mighty Mouse in one of these and see how his P4P ranking is worth exactly jack s.

This is what MMA is meant to be. No sissy gloves, no weight classes, no downed opponent BS.

Put Mighty Mouse in one of these and see how his P4P ranking is worth exactly jack s.

This were the Adam and Eve of the JBG.

<{JustBleed}>

Some of those headbutts seem ill advised. Like the ones to the top/back of the head. Seems like you are more likely to cut/hurt yourself. It can be fucking painful/disorienting being beadbutted for both people.

I never understood why you would actually want to do one on purpose.

Some of those headbutts seem ill advised. Like the ones to the top/back of the head. Seems like you are more likely to cut/hurt yourself. It can be fucking painful/disorienting being beadbutted for both people.

In top position it can be very usefull. Also in the clinch.

The good old days.

I would LOVE for the rules to be reintroduced. The beauty of MMA is that it was supposed to be as close to actual fighting as possible. A lot of traditional martial arts have techniques such as groin strikes, kicks on the ground etc. That's part of the game.

And no gloves is better - both for the fighter as for the excitement of the fight. With no gloves, people don't throw as many punches and have to think before throwing something, because you don't want to break your hand. This also means less punches to the head as gloves actually don't protect you from head trauma, just from traumas in your hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always loved this video of Igors highlights from his bareknuckle days, dude at 1:00 is lucky he wasn't killed, full power karate chop to the back of the neck and a couple of soccer kicks fuck dat shit

Dunno why theres no thumbnail but the video works

The good old days.

I would LOVE for the rules to be reintroduced. The beauty of MMA is that it was supposed to be as close to actual fighting as possible. A lot of traditional martial arts have techniques such as groin strikes, kicks on the ground etc. That's part of the game.

And no gloves is better - both for the fighter as for the excitement of the fight. With no gloves, people don't throw as many punches and have to think before throwing something, because you don't want to break your hand. This also means less punches to the head as gloves actually don't protect you from head trauma, just from traumas in your hand.

I'm with ya apart from the no gloves comin back man, we get enough injuries as it is and hands are slow to heal. Can you imagine all the injuries? Would be a nightmare. Cuts down the longevity in the sport.

Mind you in saying that, I wouldn't mind seeing it just out of curiousity to see how the sports evolved at the higher levels.

Last edited:
Ive watched some of the IVC videos from back in the day, now that was fighting. These guys had to love what they were doing to fight for peanuts and to travel International unfunded to fight in these small venues. The 90's had some of the best MMA fights to date, however most people on these boards werent around for the NHB days of fighting, so they can't relate.

The best guy for out and out brutality in Vale Tudo was Gary Goodridge... Dude ripped spines apart in that show.

Who was the blonde American guy with the karate/gnp style from back then? I forgot his name... He's not so big. Did a few small movies. Blonde hair, wore white trousers... He had an awesome style and I just can't remember.

Always loved this video of Igors highlights from his bareknuckle days, dude at 1:00 is lucky he wasn't killed, full power karate chop to the back of the neck and a couple of soccer kicks fuck dat shit

Dunno why theres no thumbnail but the video works

That was more poor refereeing than an issue with the rules. The guy was completely out, the ref didn't step in. Even the freakin' corner threw in the towel before the ref made a move.

The best guy for out and out brutality in Vale Tudo was Gary Goodridge... Dude ripped spines apart in that show.

Who was the blonde American guy with the karate/gnp style from back then? I forgot his name... He's not so big. Did a few small movies. Blonde hair, wore white trousers... He had an awesome style and I just can't remember.

Blonde, karate/gnp and white trousers... Gerard Gordeau? But I don't think he is american

Big Daddy Goodridge..

Goodridge-Herrera.gif~c200

What a beast he was!

Blonde, karate/gnp and white trousers... Gerard Gordeau? But I don't think he is american
Not Gordeau... This dude had long blonde hair and was smaller than Gordeau, who was also Dutch and was a straight up Savante fighter/nastiest Street brawler in MMA history/Fucking Nazi... And Gordeau never fought in Vale Tudo Brazil.

I'm talking about a 30ish American guy who sometimes dressed like Harold Howard but fought way ahead of his time... Probably around 185, who used a lot of crazy spinning shit and nasty old school submissions... He was pretty famous. Fuck. I wish I could remember.

Big Daddy Goodridge..

Goodridge-Herrera.gif~c200

What a beast he was!

That was his ufc debut... Apparently they gave him that gi just before the event to make him look more legit. He only knew that one crucifix move on the mat so backstage set him up with a guy guaranteed to shoot... Not a fix, but definitely some shady matchmaking. Gary's style has some name similar to Joe Son Do, but he was actually a championship level arm wrestler... Just a straight up tough dude that has an ability to learn.

His Vale Tudo stuff is so unbelievably brutal. He's the dirtiest fighter nobody mentions - because back then ripping a guys dick off or cranking his neck until it snaps were all part of the rules. His Pride and UFC fights are child's play compared.

Last edited:
I just did a search for "Blonde American Vale Tudo Fighter" and look what the first picture was...

2379209200000578-2847826-image-7_1416867466204.jpg

<{cruzshake}>

If you do it with the forehead like you're heading a football (soccer) on a softer part of the opponents head like around the nose or jaw it should be pretty effective, unless you're head butting Mark Hunt. that's always a bad idea.

Erik Paulson... I've been looking for Erik Paulson.

Check out this highlight for some 90s nostalgia.

His tutorials are awesome.

Fuck yeah!

This is the one I've been looking for... The shit he puts this guy in at 1.29 is amazing.

His name is Erik Paulson. His name is Erik Paulson.

Chronically underrated and forgotten 90s fighter.

Last edited:
Back