1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Video taping and analysis

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by HEAVY GRAPPLER, Sep 14, 2010.

1. HEAVY GRAPPLER

HEAVY GRAPPLER Brown Belt

Who here records their rolls? I'm sure lots of guys record matches - but does anyone make a habit of recording rolls in training?

What do you look for in analysis?

Do you find it helps?

Do you ever show them to your instructor when asking for advice?

This is something I'm thinking of taking up. I just want to know if it is worth the trouble.

2. Wrestleben

Wrestleben Brown Belt

I've always thought this would be a great idea, but never have done it. Maybe I'll have to bring my camera to class this week. I know when I analyze my competition matches it's painful to watch, as I can see so many missed opportunities.

3. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

I don't do it regularly, but ever once in a while I will record a training session and review the footage. Usually I'll look for ways to improve things that I am good at or see what things are giving me problems. If I am improving something, I'll look for ways that:

a. my posture and base might be improved
    b. my timing might be better

Or I will look for different ways to enter into my moves and positions if they are being blocked. For example, if I'm having trouble getting an underhook on someone from bottom half guard, I will look at what my partner is doing and try to find ways to off balance them to create space to get under the armpit. Stuff like that. Hope that makes sense.

4. Daveb

Daveb Green Belt

I do it alot when I'm near a competition. I really like to record myself against blackbelts. You see so many little mistakes because you're going against someone who is able to capitalize on them. Then I go back and my ask my professors how to avoid the same mistakes

I have literally hours of getting my ass kicked stored on my computer

5. Amiro

Amiro Orange Belt

it sounds like a good idea but ive never done it.

it would be good to see what was happening from an external viewpoint i think

i dont think i'll ever take my camera to class to record sparring though. maybe in open mat but i have lots of other things to worry about first

6. Jagcorps_esq

Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

Too much work for regular rolling.

I certainly record any competition that I'm in and go over it closely with a number of higher ranking belts. I think that is more useful, because competition tends to bring out both my strengths and weaknesses more clearly.

7. johnkreese

johnkreese Brown Belt

I've been thinking about doing this for a while. There are definitely some holes in my game I could probably see if I watched myself on video -- also a reason why competitions have helped me so much -- I always had my matches recorded.

8. elbigsam

elbigsam Blue Belt

Cell phone cameras have come a long way, I had a buddy film me and a visiting blackbelt the other day. Later that evening I put it on my youtube. The whole process was very easy, the quality is good enough for me.

As far as analysis, awesome to see the differance between how something feels and how it looks.

9. Steelviper

Steelviper Green Belt

It has occurred to me that it might be a good idea to periodically record rolling to be able to watch your progression. If you did it, say, monthly, you'd have a pretty good record you could look back on.

10. HEAVY GRAPPLER

HEAVY GRAPPLER Brown Belt

While I am sure it is a terrible idea, I am going to commit to taping a roll sometime in the next two weeks and posting it in this thread with a breakdown. Why? Why not...we'll see if I learn anything.

11. Jagcorps_esq

Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

I have never failed to learn something, permanently, from a video of my competition videos.

It should be worth it, if you're rolling with some intensity and working techniques that you want to see improvement in.

12. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

comp yes, been a tremendous help really, never did in my pure judo days and I am kicking myself for it

never training thou, I kinda know what I am not doing aka being lazy, trying to get perfect sweeps when I should take what I get and work to improve them with every time, isntead I just hang out in guard almost never attempt armbars or triangles and is eventually passed and I don't use my weight enough (but I am constantly reminded about it by the blues and above)