[video] Taking the back from north-south

Good video. I haven't used this in a while, but since I'm starting a serious 'sharpen up my side control' project, I should start working this again. If only I could come up with a clever no-gi variant using reverse underhooks or a harness grip....

Good stuff, Aesopian. I've been working more north-south lately. I'm going to start playing with this in class this week.

If only I could come up with a clever no-gi variant using reverse underhooks or a harness grip....

That would be awesome.

here is the way i was shown to take the back from north/south, sorry about the description, i don't have pics or video:

1. You hold north/south with one arm in and one arm out, so one is over the arm grabbing the belt and one is underhooking the shoulder.

2. With the hand over their arm you reach under their shoulder and get a four finger grip in the back of their gi, so you have their arm completely trapped.

3. Circle to that side (side control) and you reach under their head and cup the pec / far armpit

4. Use your forearm like a crowbar to crank their neck upwards which forces them to sit up, once you sit them up you switch the pec armpit grip to the lapel (under the armpit), to keep their chest open.

5. Do a little hop to bring your feet either side of their hips then lay back, using your grips to open them out, and place hooks.

in my description above, if you want to switch this to no-gi, i could see that in step 2, you could cup the shoulder with that arm wrapped, and step 3 would work as well, no-gi. Once you have them sitting up you could take the harness grip.

that is definately better than the Judo version I'd seen before

in my description above, if you want to switch this to no-gi, i could see that in step 2, you could cup the shoulder with that arm wrapped, and step 3 would work as well, no-gi. Once you have them sitting up you could take the harness grip.

I'm sorry, I couldn't understand the description you gave. But for no-gi, couldn't we use the same technique as in the video by double underhooking to pull them up? I have yet to try it out, but I've been taught this technique for gi (One of the MANY things I've been taught yet have forgotten and failed to add to my game).

Everyone asks for a no-gi version of this and I've seen it taught where you reach under and grab the armpits but I don't have much faith in that grip and I've never seen it work in sparring or gotten it.

good stuff... i was shown this by a blue belt and he did the variation where you pop up to both feet.. its good to see this variation.

Everyone asks for a no-gi version of this and I've seen it taught where you reach under and grab the armpits but I don't have much faith in that grip and I've never seen it work in sparring or gotten it.

I have a no-gi version that's a counter to a kimura defense. From N/S I start attacking a kimura and drive my same-side knee into their back which causes them to turn onto one side. If I can't finish the kimura, I lower my chest and the arm that's grabbing their wrist wraps around their head (just like an over under grip). From here I pivot my shin under their head just as you demonstrated in your vid, and it's pretty much all the same.

I do this same technique but instead of pulling him on top of me I hop up and almost hang clean the person. It jerks them up into the seated position and the extra force opens a space for your hooks to go in. I'm going to have to give it a shot this way and see which one I like better. Thanks for the video

I have a no-gi version that's a counter to a kimura defense. From N/S I start attacking a kimura and drive my same-side knee into their back which causes them to turn onto one side. If I can't finish the kimura, I lower my chest and the arm that's grabbing their wrist wraps around their head (just like an over under grip). From here I pivot my shin under their head just as you demonstrated in your vid, and it's pretty much all the same.

I do this as well, it's one of my favorite attack sequences.

Got a new little Kodak Zi6 HD camera and shot this with it today.

YouTube - Taking the back from north-south (top)

Great stuff. I've been wanting to do more out of north/south when the armlocks aren't there. The north/south Monson choke isn't working for me consistently, and the other version of taking the back from north/south (the hop up version) always seemed a little iffy.

good stuff... i was shown this by a blue belt and he did the variation where you pop up to both feet.. its good to see this variation.

I've been doing this version since my knee surgery. Requires a really good amount of control, but you can step right into the back mount. My coach actually has extremely good balance, and one time when I did it to him, he stood on his feet and balanced his head in my gut. It was funny to see.

Now that my knees are better and my flexibility is back, will most like return to the way Aesopian showed in the video.

wow ive never seen that before, interesting, im gonna try it next time im rolling

In no Gi I go from under the head under the arm and gable grip or grip or a little higher on my wrists/forearms depending on what feels strongest. Also, I usually step up on the one foot instead of sliding it under.

Back