Video: Sparring session between me and my brother.

Ahimsa

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey, how is it going?

I wanted some critiques and comments on our sparring session. I'm in the brown cagewalk shorts and my younger brother is in the black and white nogi bones. The sparring session started off very light but became little more intense towards the end. Halfway through the video, youll see me bend down to pick-up my contact which fell out.

Sam and Toma's Sparring Session : Online Video | Veoh Video Network

Things I noticed in the video:
-My Rear kicks are coming out too wide (can see it coming from a mile away), it needs to shoot down the middle.
-I'm not blocking my face when throwing any kicks.
-My younger brother has the tendency to lower his left hand.

Any comments or critiques are more than welcomed. I plan to keep a video journal to see my progress.

Where are the push kicks?

Where did you guys get the permabilt bags?

It is actually a pretty decent sparring session... it def is funny how the hits came harder and harder over time lol... wish I had a brother to do this stuff with

Wow, I was expecting some backyard brawling BS. You guys looked pretty good. How long ya been training for?

You already pointed out some things I was going to mention.

I was kind of disappointed I usually get a good laugh from these posts, but you guys actually have good technique!:redface:

Thanks for all the comments and critiques everyone, I really appreciate it.

Ryukyu: Yeah, I noticed the absence of push kicks after viewing the video. Usually, I'm pretty good with the push kicks, using them very often but this time around it just skipped my mind. As for the bag, one of our instructors brought it from his house to the gym for everyone to use. He has had the bags for years and its in great shape.

Chaseg1520: It's awesome having a brother that I can spar with, no lies. We started training the same time and we've progressed along nicely with one another.

Centaur: We've been training for roughly a year and a few months. Initially when we started training we were only going twice a week for an hour a day. Since then we've been trying to go as often as our schedule permits. We just came off a three month hiatus after an intense quarter at school.

Peck Choke: I apologize. :icon_chee

Thanks again everyone!

EDIT: WTF? For some weird reason the video I uploaded has now been replaced with an anime. Not sure what's going on but I'll have to reupload when I get home. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Really good stuff man, you guys are looking pretty sharp, only thing I didnt like was the kinda fast bouncing around but thats only because I was trained to just be really chill, you guys have good hand combos, punch defense and good switch kicks and also good a finishing combos off with the rear leg. Overall good vid keep training!

Another thing, where do you guys train and whats your weight/age? I noticed I think a Fairtex banner in the background?

Joshua Coquelle: Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. We train out of a gym called West Coast Jiu Jitsu in Upland, Ca. The fairtex banner in the back is just decoration, haha. As for weight and age:

Myself: 5'8", 21 at 120. (Yeah, I'm super light)
Brother: 5'8", 18 at 135.

Heh cool man, hey i'm pretty light too (fight at 140, walk around 150) 5'11, but ya as I said you guys have a great striking game developing, I have a younger brother who likes to fight but never had the discipline to train so i'm stuck alone teaching him once in a while and sparring but not often, wish he was like your bro. Anway lookin' good keep it up, peace.

Heh cool man, hey i'm pretty light too (fight at 140, walk around 150) 5'11, but ya as I said you guys have a great striking game developing, I have a younger brother who likes to fight but never had the discipline to train so i'm stuck alone teaching him once in a while and sparring but not often, wish he was like your bro. Anway lookin' good keep it up, peace.

Yeah, having a brother has been a huge motivation to continue training. He motivates me and vice versa when one is in a slump. I've been trying to put on weight but to no avail; I'm going to try to start a weight training regimen this summer, I hope to make some progress. Thanks again for the kind comments.

edit: sherdog is acting weird today.

wow man you got some nice technique for a person who APPEARS so young. your inside leg kicks are nice and the left hook to the body is great with the setups. your brother seems to not use his jab enough. he just throws it out kinda lazily and doesnt move forward. i say keep it up and see what your instructors think about it.

Nice technique I was also expecting a back yard brawl sorta thing. Good defense and combos keep drilling!

Senshijin- Haha, I get that a lot; people, when they see us, always assume I'm the younger of the two. The bodyshots worked out pretty well, much better than I thought, I've been working on it the past week or two. Yeah, my brother has the habit of throwing lazy jabs to setup his kicks. It worked initially because they were irritating but after a few sparring session you know what to expect.

Honra and uglyboi: Proper training and sparring in a gym ftw. :icon_chee

Thanks for the comments guys.

Solid session, I'm fucking jealous that you have a brother to train with.

My own view is the lack of blocking the leg kicks. You guys bounced around a little much for my own taste, but again depending on what your training for you two looked pretty good. I was expecting the same as everyone else here(back yard brawl). You both seemed to have decent hands. As you said some of your kicks seemed to be telegraphed, but again you two wernt blocking much so in this case it didnt matter ;)

looked good though.

Awesome to have a brother to train with! You guys both looked good. Good defense on the kicks, good transitions between hands & feet...... keep it up!

Good stuff man, one of the better sessions i've seen from the forum.

Back