Video Police in Santa Maria Shoot/Kill Suicidal man claiming he "lunged at them" Here we go again

So they couldnt beat him down with sticks ? They coudnt pull a riot shield out of the trunk ? They had time for bean bags and shit and to talk so I know they had a little time to prepare .

Stop thinking about that fucking 21 foot rule and start thinking about what cops could do when dealing with someone who is mental so that everyone gets to go home to families not just the blue boys. Nhbear posted a long thing about knives that maybe you should read.

Or just keep repeating 21 foot rule and showing that old ass video like we cant come up with something better . Maybe thinking and problem solving isnt your thing

Do you understand the limits on striking targets with a baton?

Baton+strike+area1.jpg

Many departments around here (even if they have real batons) don't allow 12 to 6 strikes on a standing person.

If you allow strikes to the head that's deadly force and you might as well go to the firearm.

They hit this guy with a hell of a lot of bean bag shots and still didn't stop him.

They have approved target zones for the bean bags also.

Again if you say let them hit him with bean bags in the face we are back to deadly force with the bags maybe causing brain damage or death.

If you don't believe that look at that dumb actor that accidentally killed himself with the blank round playing around.

Live an hour away from Santa Maria. The media here called it what it was, suicide by cop.

How about no retention system + Smart gun. Maybe somewhere down the line...
Only way I'm carrying a smart gun on duty is when they come out with The Lawgiver from Dredd...

Smart gun tech is so hit or miss its not even funny. I don't see it getting better anytime soon.

Retention holsters are very necessary for policing. I had a level 3 holster when is startedand absolutely hated it. Got my level 2 holster when I shelled out a couple hundred bucks for a surefire weapons light and am much happier now.

They have three prongs. All of them have to connect for it to work. You get one shot, if it misses you now have a dude running at you with a knife and you've got a hunk of plastic in your hands.

most new ones have two prongs and two separate shots. You can shoot two people with them and then select which person you want to tase or both at one time, there is also a automatic 3 second countdown so you can't just hold it down.

The gist of your post is correct though and getting two shots off if the first failed isn't practical in a dynamic situation. Tasers really aren't good in most instances. You won't get your taser out while in a fist fight or lethal situation, only if there is time and distance and a co-worker with lethal means.

To expand the space between the prongs is also important, the larger the space between the prongs the better the effect. The type of clothing affects the success of the tazer as well.

the amount of stupid in this thread is well..................stupid

Watched the video, let's be honest the police are well on in their transformation from

constables whose job is to prevent people from doing things to others or with their property without consent, and to catch and question them if they did

into

Fascist state (corporate/government fusion) enforcers who force people to comply to the state's will with violence

It seems like most police just join up in order to hurt and dominate people and are looking for a pretext to do so. If any normal person tried to join anywhere he'd be screened out.

When people are carrying guns anyway it escalates the situation greatly now those involved are only half a second from death.

Man had knife to his own throat claiming he was going to commit suicide
Santa Maria Police say they had "exhausted all nonlethal means."

So one cop (the bald white cop behind the suv) decides to shoot the guy while he's at least 10 feet away while most of the other cops don't even draw their weapons. Looks like a trigger happy cop just wanted to open fire on someone that day and get a paid vacation. Will his life matter ? He wasn't black will anyone care ? Society has become one cold place to live.

If he's such a threat to them why are they all gathered so close to him in a large group what sort of response is this to a suicidal man with a knife i mean if he was to move in any direction their positioning only gives them the justification they need to shoot the man. Notice the one cop that opens fire was the one who had his gun drawn from the beginning as if he was positioned as the executioner.

I can't watch the video now, but some police departments have a procedure that if one cop has his gun drawn then other cops do something different. Like if one cop sees a fellow officer with a gun out he will pull out a tazer.

But I agree that suicidal people should be given distance and time to resolve the situation without fucking shooting. Having mental health problems should not be a death sentence.

need a real life Iron Man for these situations

Back