Video of me kicking the heavy bag

Nickotine

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hey guys. Took a video of me kicking the bag. Just looking for some feedback. How do my kicks look? Anything I can improve upon? Thanks. Oh and sorry for video angle. Gonna have to tilt your head

Just a note aswell. Wasnt trying to kick full power. Trying to keep it pretty slow and relaxed

Last edited:
Your kicks lack power because you aren't getting tension in your hips then exploding. I'll post a Bas Rutten video because he will explain it far better than I can. You lift your chin a bit when you kick as well. Remember to keep it tucked and to roll the shoulder so its protected. If you're going to swing your arm you also might as well take it all the way back and extend for the added momentum. As was mentioned above me you want to hit with the bottom of your shin rather than the top of your foot. Though the distinction seems slight its not.

Last edited:
Hey guys. Took a video of me kicking the bag. Just looking for some feedback. How do my kicks look? Anything I can improve upon? Thanks. Oh and sorry for video angle. Gonna have to tilt your head

YouTube - VID 00093 20101027 2149

use a little more of ur shin if you are going for power.
you can try to pivot a little more on your foot if you feel comfortable with it.
try and arc your kicks a little more downward. this will cause your hips to turn into it more and give a heck of alot more pwer.
and you can try to throw back your right hand as a counter balance while covering with your right. it will give more speed and balance.
Hope this helps some. keep training

Okay, I watched the first 40 seconds of the vid (YouTube was taking forever to buffer the rest).

Here's my thoughts:

- Like Nordic said, hit with your shins, NOT with your foot. Hitting with the foot may seem okay when you're working on the heavybag but if you get in a fight and your opponent checks the kick, you could potentially break your foot on his shin.

- Pivot on the ball of your left foot. I noticed that when you threw the kick, your left foot was still pointing forward (towards the heavy bag). For generating maximum force, pivot on the ball of your left foot so that you get more hip rotation.

- Make sure your hands are placed correctly. When throwing a right kick, your right hand should whip downwards and your left hand should be by your jaw (to protect it from any incoming punches).

Your left foot needs to open up a t an angle to force your hips into it more. It looks liek you are slapping the bag more than kicking and driving through.

The Bas Rutten video that Logan M posted is great. Few small adjustments and more practice and you will have them down

Your kicks lack power because you aren't getting tension in your hips then exploding. I'll post a Bas Rutten video because he will explain it far better than I can. You lift your chin a bit when you kick as well. Remember to keep it tucked and to roll the shoulder so its protected. If you're going to swing the back arm you also might as well take it all the way back and extend for the added momentum. As was mentioned above me you want to hit with the bottom of your shin rather than the top of your foot. Though the distinction seems slight its not.

YouTube - Bas Rutten's secret to power kicking
Thanks for tips. I wasnt trying to kick full power. Just trying to keep it light and relaxed. Good call on my chin. My coach calls me out on it all the time haha. I try not to swing my arm all the back just due to defense. Ya I sometimes smack it to much with my foot but if you look close its mainly hitting my shin. Weird angle on the video i think

Twist the lead leg like you are screwing yourself into the ground and more shin.

You might not be hitting 100% with your foot, but you're pretty damn close to it. You wanna get in closer, and use your shin, not where your shin meets your foot.

Using your shin is like using a baseball bat. It's a lot stronger, and hurts a hell of a lot worse than a foot. Now of course, you're not always going to hit with your shin, and you'll hit with your foot from time to time, which is okay, but try not to make it a habit. You wanna practice hitting with your full shin, like in the Kaman video I posted.

Work on your pivot foot, it'll put a lot more power into your kicks if you learn to pivot well. Using your pivot is basically like using a whip. Your right leg is like the whip it's self where as your left leg is more like the handle of it. You really wanna use your hips as much as you can.

As for the Rutten video, I've tried his method and while it does work well, it's hard to do it effectively.

Okay, I watched the first 40 seconds of the vid (YouTube was taking forever to buffer the rest).

Here's my thoughts:

- Like Nordic said, hit with your shins, NOT with your foot. Hitting with the foot may seem okay when you're working on the heavybag but if you get in a fight and your opponent checks the kick, you could potentially break your foot on his shin.

- Pivot on the ball of your left foot. I noticed that when you threw the kick, your left foot was still pointing forward (towards the heavy bag). For generating maximum force, pivot on the ball of your left foot so that you get more hip rotation.

- Make sure your hands are placed correctly. When throwing a right kick, your right hand should whip downwards and your left hand should be by your jaw (to protect it from any incoming punches).

Ya I think I need to open the foot up more. I usually open it up 45 degress or so before I kick but I think I need to open it up a bit more. I dont try and pivot too much on the ball of my foot. Kru teaches only to pivot when you need extra distance but insists pivoting in the beginning of the kick will cut down on power instead he says to open the foot up

As for the Rutten video, I've tried his method and while it does work well, it's hard to do it effectively.

It took me a fair bit of practice to retrain myself to his method. I feel though that it added a considerable amount of speed to my kicks along with the power that brings. My training partners noticed right away as well the next time I worked pads with them.

It took me a fair bit of practice to retrain myself to his method. I feel though that it added a considerable amount of speed to my kicks along with the power that brings. My training partners noticed right away as well the next time I worked pads with them.

I had a hard time landing effectively while sparring, it might be that I don't set it up well enough, but every time I was getting ready to throw, they saw my foot go off to the side and telegraphed my foot coming at them.

Just another bit of advice, I've always been taught that when throwing the kick with my right leg, to bring my left hand and right shoulder round to protect my face.

I had a hard time landing effectively while sparring, it might be that I don't set it up well enough, but every time I was getting ready to throw, they saw my foot go off to the side and telegraphed my foot coming at them.

I hear you on that. I telegraphed it badly at least the first few hundred I threw. My main partner would just look at me and shake his head. The fluidity for me was the hardest aspect to get down. I don't really have much insight as to what the breakthrough was. Kick after kick it became just a bit more a single action rather than two steps. Useful I know. :redface:

You might not be hitting 100% with your foot, but you're pretty damn close to it. You wanna get in closer, and use your shin, not where your shin meets your foot.

Using your shin is like using a baseball bat. It's a lot stronger, and hurts a hell of a lot worse than a foot. Now of course, you're not always going to hit with your shin, and you'll hit with your foot from time to time, which is okay, but try not to make it a habit. You wanna practice hitting with your full shin, like in the Kaman video I posted.

Work on your pivot foot, it'll put a lot more power into your kicks if you learn to pivot well. Using your pivot is basically like using a whip. Your right leg is like the whip it's self where as your left leg is more like the handle of it. You really wanna use your hips as much as you can.

Thanks ya I need to make sure 100% im using my shin. As for the pivoting Ive been taught to open the foot at an angle and kick as opposed to pivoted hard on the foot.Always taught to pivot only when necessary, like when you need extra distance. I guess there are different thoughts out there on this topic. If you watch guys like Buakaw he doesnt pivot very much at all on his foot but instead opens it up at an angle before kicking

-Swing through the bag going as deep as you can making contact with shin not foot
-Take a subtle step with your left foot and sit down on that post leg while pivoting on the ball of that foot and opening up at the hip.
-Push your right arm more outward and bring that shoulder forward.
-Keep your hands up and close to your face before and more importantly after throwing the kick.

You really need to work on turning the kick over. MT kick power is all about the hip torque. Your hips should be just about perpendicular to the ground at the point of contact. Getting into this habit will drastically increase your power. You just seem way too robotic in your upper body as well.

Hey guys. Took a video of me kicking the bag. Just looking for some feedback. How do my kicks look? Anything I can improve upon? Thanks.

This is what it should look like: Watch the instructor when he first demonstrates the technique. Times from 0:14 to 0:43.

Ps. Please find a friend to hold the camera. My neck still hurts. :icon_lol:

:icon_chee

Last edited:
Back