Video of beehive removal from the walls of a house (vs exterminated)

Doughbelly

action scientist αlpha-nerd
@Gold
Reaction score
This guy gets a good sized 50,000+ bee beehive removed from the walls of his house instead of getting them exterminated.

Pretty cool stuff. I guess I knew bees generate heat, like how Japanese honeybees kill giant Asian hornets but never thought about how much 50,000 bees could generate in an enclosed space.

The video says they were removed to a bee farm. I wonder how confused the navigation circuitry in these bees get when the hive is moved.

With the Beepocalypse underway, I wonder how hefty a price this guy can fetch for them.

With the Beepocalypse underway, I wonder how hefty a price this guy can fetch for them.

That's an interesting question.

I'd assumed that the guy whose home it was paid for the removal. The bee removal guy has to be paid, right? But I guess the bee farm is will to pay, too. Maybe the beekeeper pays for the removals guy and the homeowner just pays for the cost to repair his house. Can't imagine homeowner insurance covering that.

Or maybe the removals guy is a beekeeper? Now that I think about it, if I wanted bees removed and not killed, I'd try to find a beekeeper.

Neat-spiderman.gif

There are some farmers that would pay to have the bees relocated to their farm for the increased pollination. (if they had a shortage of bees)

That's an interesting question.

I'd assumed that the guy whose home it was paid for the removal. The bee removal guy has to be paid, right? But I guess the bee farm is will to pay, too. Maybe the beekeeper pays for the removals guy and the homeowner just pays for the cost to repair his house. Can't imagine homeowner insurance covering that.

Or maybe the removals guy is a beekeeper? Now that I think about it, if I wanted bees removed and not killed, I'd try to find a beekeeper.

Some apple and pear orchard owners become bee keepers and not for the honey. More bees equal larger yields of fruit.

Orchards have been known to buy bees. There is a market for them.

The guys seemed to know what he was doing so I imagine he is involved in the bee industry somehow.

Honey Bees For Sale - Buzz About Bees
www.buzzaboutbees.net/honey-bees-for-sale.html
Honey Bees For Sale: Links to suppliers and information, plus a few considerations before you buy!

How to Buy Honey Bees For Your Small Farm - Small Farms
smallfarm.about.com › ... › Small Farms › Farm Animals › Beekeeping
Are you a beginning beekeeper who needs to buy package bees or nucs? Learn how and where to order and purchase honey bees online.

More from Google. It looks like someone got a nice established colony.

"Firstly, if you are establishing a colony, you will probably purchase a nucleus colony or a ‘nuc’. A nuc consists of a queen, brood, and workers in four or more frames."

My neighbor across the street in Baltimore was a beekeeper and the president of the area beekeepers association. Just never thought about it much.

I spent a huge chunk of the summer working on an apple orchard, but didn't see many bees around.

I hate bees.

They can suck it, for all I care.

Fuck them.

My neighbor across the street in Baltimore was a beekeeper and the president of the area beekeepers association. Just never thought about it much.

I spent a huge chunk of the summer working on an apple orchard, but didn't see many bees around.

Where the trees in bloom?

The only time to bees care about the trees are when they are flowering.

Apples require pollen to be come from another tree and the bees transport the pollen.

The flowers are there producing nectar to get the bees to do the work for them.

Bees and flowing plants need each other. Well, the flowing plants need something to move the pollen.

The the pollen they want moved is across different apple types. A granny smith does not do well getting pollen from another granny smith. It needs pollen from a different type of apple tree.

Pollination of Tree Fruits - Colorado State University Extension
www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/Garden/07002.html

Most fruit trees need cross-pollination for good fruit set, and you may need to buy more than just one ... The honey bee is the most important carrier of pollen.
Best Variety of Fruit Trees to Attract Bees | Home Guides ...
homeguides.sfgate.com › Outdoors › Flowers

Attracting bees to your garden or home orchard is one of the best ways to naturally pollinate flowering trees and plants. Fruit-bearing trees are a great choice for ...
Pollination of apple trees and other fruit trees
www.orangepippintrees.com › Articles › Planting and growing

Pollination is an important topic when growing fruit trees because many - but certainly ... For most fruit varieties, pollination is carried out by insects, often bees.
The Importance of Fruit Tree Pollination - Stark Bro's
www.starkbros.com/growing.../the-importance-of-fruit-tree-pollination

How important is proper fruit tree pollination? ... “Let me tell you about the birds and the bees and the flowers and the trees” — that tune would date some of us ...

The flowers give nectar to the bees to make honey with. The flowers have pollen that sticks to the bees legs and it gets spread to other trees.

Good on the homeowners for paying for the bees extraction, rather than exterminating.

Back