VIDEO: My blue belt promotion

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by bjornvil, Sep 10, 2010.

1. bjornvil Blue Belt

Hey guys

I really wasn't going to make a thread about this, but I can't resist!

I was promoted to blue belt the other day. I've been training hard for a year.

When our instructor promotes he makes us roll non stop for about 20 minutes, changing out fresh opponents every few minutes. I guess you would call it a gauntlet.

It's not a test, just a way to make us feel miserable for a few minutes :)

Anyway, check out the video and feel free to give me your comments if you want. It was a great experience although I felt like I was going to puke the last few minutes.

I hope I did OK. The promotion was a surprise and was done after the beginners class which I attended, so I wasn't exactly fresh when going into the gauntlet :icon_chee

Osss!

Bjössi að fá blátt belti on Vimeo

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  2. esum80 แทงเข่าขวา

congrats on having all your hardwork and dedication pay off

3. curb1850 Green Belt

Congrats!!!

4. randomguy Black Belt

congrats man

5. BigStaff Purple Belt

Be proud dude, I know I will be when I get mine.. The only people that will hate are the ones that have already been a blue belt or haven't earned theirs yet...

On another note, You have a dirty ass looking Gi.. Does it stink literally??

Congratulations!!

6. bjornvil Blue Belt

Thanks! And yeah I'm definitely proud! I worked really hard for it :)

I know the gi looks nasty, but it's clean and not rancid at all. I clean it after every class :)

I've been training in that gi for the last 9 months, 2-3 times a week. Anybody know of a good way to make it white again? The pants are especially nasty, just gray instead of white now. I tried bleaching it, but apparently that's not very good for the fabric, and it really didn't work :)

7. Hamsterdam Orange Belt

Congrats!

8. jackstraw424 White Belt

congrats!!

ps. is that a tramp stamp I see??

9. Wandgun Orange Belt

Good stuff!

At my old gym they only let blues and above roll with you during the gauntlet (not sure how my new school works). Did you feel like there were some white belts trying to prove themselves by giving you a beating during it? Seems like some were going harder than others.

10. bjornvil Blue Belt

Well... I never felt like I was in any danger of getting hurt, but I know what you mean. Some of the wb's did go harder than others, but I feel like most of the guys just went at the same pace as they usually go.

The last guy is the designated bully of the gauntlet. He is one of our oldest blue belts (just one purple at the gym, brown belt instructor). He usually goes last and tries to make you feel really worked. Knee rides you hard!

He says he's going to stay a blue belt for life (actually he says that to the camera at the very end of the video), he has alot of blue belts who owe him a knee ride or two :icon_chee

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  11. BigStaff Purple Belt

I was just messin with ya man... Don't worry about your Gi it makes you look salty (Like you've been around a while). I liked how even though you were tired you had to triangle the kid (Yellow Belt). Let him know, tired or not he better work to get the best of you hahaha... Just buy a Blue or Black one when you get the cash and keep the white/gray around for competition.. It will sike out who ever you go against..

12. ZuZitsu** Purple Belt

Congrats!! Start working for that purple!

Osss is spelt Osu =) Not that it matters

13. ZuZitsu** Purple Belt

That test seemed more like a hazing than a test of ur skill...between the fat white belt in the dark glue gi just smothering u and the next guy jumping into right to a choke...it seemed they just wanted to test ur heart but necessarily ur skill level. So Im assuming u had already shown ur skill??

14. cenix Orange Belt

congrats on the promotion. cool way to give you a hard time before giving you the belt.

15. Dynassty Blue Belt

nice congrats.... looked great

16. lowdown1 Orange Belt

great job, you kept your composer after a 20 min clinic. we ran the shark tank on one of our guys being promoted to blue last night and there was like 7 of us our instructor chose. 2min a piece and let me tell you he was destroyed afterwords. Its defiantly a test of heart not skill,your instructor knows your skill lvl and it doesn't matter if you get subbed a hundred times its just about staying strong and surviving without passing out. Witch you did well, good job man!

17. Throwing Dummy Green Belt

18. Knuckles69 Purple Belt

Congrats!

Keep training hard.

19. Gerbiljiujitsu Purple Belt

congrats bro! The blue belt is a big step in the right direction.

20. Gerbiljiujitsu Purple Belt

After watching the video I have to say I'm impressed by the general level of your guys white belts. It seemed like everyone was trying to be technical, it looks like a great place to train.

Keep it up, you'll go far there!

P.S. good performance btw, you clearly worked hard previously to this promotion.