Video Lessons: What would you change or like to see?

Mad Sweeps

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
With the ever growing tutorials being added to online and dvd libraries, there are bound to be things that we HATE seeing in a tutorial, love seeing or just don't see at all, but would like to.

I think this thread could be a great opportunity to voice some ideas and help people with their own lessons or reach the big times.

Personally, I hate the amount of talking BEFORE anything even happens. Please do not confuse this with me not wanting to hear about the fundamentals of how and why this works, it's just that I may be pressed for time (how many of us are guilty of surfing while at work?), or it may be something I already know and won't know that's the case until I see it.

Solution?

I would like to see instructionals show the full movement at full speed, multiple angels, and then go on to the instructional/theory/etc. Below is an example of something similar I have seen and what inspired this thought.

Well there was an app I got around the first year of my jiu jitsu career, where you had two (essentially three) options to learn.

Once you selected the move/position/etc you wanted, you would then see a frame by frame break down with a written step by step explanation.

You could then select "Instructional" where it would show all the steps with the narration, and from multiple angels.

The other option was "Full Speed" where it simply showed the move at full speed from multiple angels as well.

I absolutely LOVED the "preview" feature of Full Speed. I could see if it was something I felt comfortable doing, if it was something I already knew, or whatever else. Then I would go and watch the Instructional.

Please contribute or flame away!

I'm the exact same, I always find myself skipping past the talking to find the move in full speed for the reasons you listed, then going back to the talking etc.

2 things I would like to see more often,

1 is multiple examples of the technique being shown in competition or sparring with commentary, so it is truly tried and tested
And another would be principles and concepts, techniques are fine, but I want to learn philosophies, strategies and ideas.. I wan't to be given the fishing rod rather then buying the fish if you get me

Show me what I am going to do before 6 minutes of instruction.

Show me the move working in real competition at a high level, or be prepared to give me links. This would eliminate most of the gimmicky bullshit moves that get posted on here constantly. If black belts are unable to do it against their peers, why the fuck would I want to waste my time learning it?

Let me know what my opponents motives are. Why is he doing the move or what is he going to be doing to counter? Know I know why I should be doing what I am based on biomechanics, not based on what your coach showed you.

I hate the talking before tutorials too.

It's mainly because I watch a lot of Youtube vids on my phone, and trying to skip ahead leads to buffering issues.

In a video we need to be able to actually see what the instructor is doing. I just watched a move of the week video and could not see what Kurt was doing cause of the camera angle. On mendes bros all the stuid while they wear and in the school blends together and you can't tell what is going on sometimes. The people in videos need to talk slow and make sure to explain every detail and if there is any trick. Whoever does the roger gracie videos that breaks down his technique and shows guard passing is a perfect example of how a video should be. His videos are the best

Yeah, having tori/uke wearing contrasting gis is also important, IMO.

Depending on the color settings of the viewers monitor or the recording device, having two people demonstrate with identical color gis makes some things indecipherable.

Most have been said, I would add multiple angles shown. And also I really appreciate when someone troubleshoots their own move, a video is not an instructor, it cant help correct mistakes you are going to make. Someone troubleshooting also kinda shows they know the technique well and have taught enough people that they know the common problems trying to execute the technique.

You also have to remember: A lot of video "instructionals" are just guys making vids for their students for better understanding. Those should be held to way different standards. When you have a video that starts off with animated sponsor and gym shit and adverts, the video is meant to promote the brand.

At that point, I find it weird that people will try to put out a professional tutorial to increase brand awareness, then talk for 8 minutes and be boring as fuck.

As others have stated, the 10 minute introduction explaining the move. I would like a brief introduction then bam show the move at full speed. Then break it down after that. You don't need to explain shit for 10 minutes.

My thoughts: Show the move a few times in the beginning, THEN start talking about it.
Wear contrasting gis as it gets hard to tell who is who at some points in the video.
Show the move in a sparring session or tournament. This would let you know it is at least somewhat legit and would give an inexperienced grappler like me an idea of what it's like to hit that move "for real".

Ryan hall is all you need.

Although I agree, the move at full speed first, then the break down.

Show me what I am going to do before 6 minutes of instruction.

Show me the move working in real competition at a high level, or be prepared to give me links. This would eliminate most of the gimmicky bullshit moves that get posted on here constantly. If black belts are unable to do it against their peers, why the fuck would I want to waste my time learning it?

Let me know what my opponents motives are. Why is he doing the move or what is he going to be doing to counter? Know I know why I should be doing what I am based on biomechanics, not based on what your coach showed you.

well, balck belts might not be able to do 90% of the so called dvd fillers on fellow black belts, most of them are not going to hold up vs high level competition, that doesnt mean its not fun to learn some stuff, remember not everyone has the competitive drive you have, not everyone is a black belt, and normally in the gym, you will roll with white to black belts (if theres any) so nothing wrong with having fun with those techniques, most of them work by the way, the problem is most of them will be shut donw by competitive grapplers, but again, nothing wrong with having fun with them...

trumpetdan is who did the roger videos and they are some of the best instructions out there.

it is also important that people snap their fingers and stomp their feet so we know which hand they are using for a certain step in the move.

well, balck belts might not be able to do 90% of the so called dvd fillers on fellow black belts, most of them are not going to hold up vs high level competition, that doesnt mean its not fun to learn some stuff, remember not everyone has the competitive drive you have, not everyone is a black belt, and normally in the gym, you will roll with white to black belts (if theres any) so nothing wrong with having fun with those techniques, most of them work by the way, the problem is most of them will be shut donw by competitive grapplers, but again, nothing wrong with having fun with them...

Then label it as such. Very disingenious for people to be showing moves that will have a very low success percentage against people who know what they are doing.

If it is a gimmicky move, then go ahead and say, "Hey, here is a fun one. It might not work very much when you try it against upper belts."

What bothers me is when someone right off the bat states "this is a high percentage move that I have a lot of success with...." Yeah, a high percentage move in your gym when you go against your own blue belts. You look at any combat sport, and it is ultra easy to find video of shit that actually is high percentage. The problem is that newbs dont know fuck all, and they dont understand that half of these bicep slices, rolling leg locks, or any other flashy move of the week almost never get pulled off in competition by the big dogs.

Its the equivilent of watching a coaches DVD from a guy who appears to be an NFL coach and him starting off with, "let me show you this high percentage play called the Fumblerooskie....."

Then label it as such. Very disingenious for people to be showing moves that will have a very low success percentage against people who know what they are doing.

If it is a gimmicky move, then go ahead and say, "Hey, here is a fun one. It might not work very much when you try it against upper belts."

What bothers me is when someone right off the bat states "this is a high percentage move that I have a lot of success with...." Yeah, a high percentage move in your gym when you go against your own blue belts. You look at any combat sport, and it is ultra easy to find video of shit that actually is high percentage. The problem is that newbs dont know fuck all, and they dont understand that half of these bicep slices, rolling leg locks, or any other flashy move of the week almost never get pulled off in competition by the big dogs.

Its the equivilent of watching a coaches DVD from a guy who appears to be an NFL coach and him starting off with, "let me show you this high percentage play called the Fumblerooskie....."

I agree taht dvd fillers shouldnt be called high percentage, then again, if you already have some grappling experience, you know its bs... but I get your point, and I agree.

Back